myofascial pain syndrome

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

myofascial pain syndrome

Postby deborah123 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:38 pm

hi everyone.well just back from doctors and he said i also have this mps????..can anyone tell me what it is etc.he did say bit about it but my minds went blank!!as usual...thankx :hugs:
deborah123
UKFM Member

Re: myofascial pain syndrome

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Its myofascial pain syndrome....

Myofascial pain syndrome (MPS) is a fancy way to describe muscle pain. It refers to pain and inflammation in the body's soft tissues.

Myofascial pain is a chronic condition that affects the fascia (connective tissue that covers the muscles). Myofascial pain syndrome may involve either a single muscle or a muscle group. In some cases, the area where a person experiences the pain may not be where the myofascial pain generator is located. Experts believe that the actual site of the injury or the strain prompts the development of a trigger point that, in turn, causes pain in other areas. This situation is known as referred pain.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby deborah123 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:20 pm

thankx lisa...but is there another treatment for it and meds?..or is it just treated with fibro meds?..thankx...xo
deborah123
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:51 am

Myofascial release (MFR) is a very effective physical therapy for it, especially when used in conjunction with stretching, physio/pilates to correct posture and stress management. Some physios know basic trigger point release techniques, but these are more painful & less effective in the long run than MFR.

Muscle relaxants and trigger point injections can be used for MPS too, and sometimes meds or supplements with anti-inflammatory properties help too.

Fibro meds can help with the pain and can help break the cycle of poor sleep = pain & hypersensitive = myofascial restrictions worsening = poorer sleep....
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems