Is this a Fibromyalgia thing or something else?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this a Fibromyalgia thing or something else?

Postby Carrieanne » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:49 pm

I am still getting my head around Fibromyalgia and wanted to ask if anyone suffers with neck pain? I have been to the dr today and he thought i had pulled a muscle- the problem started during the day if that helps! The pain is fairly unbearable and i am taking painkillers which take the edge off it, heat pack helps a little. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Carrie xxx
Carrieanne
UKFM Member

Re: Is this a Fibromyalgia thing or something else?

Postby princess » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:16 pm

I do not profess to know much, but any part of your body that has a muscle can be affected by fibro.
Myself i have neck pain off and on, but that is nothing to do with my illness, its just something that happens to me off and on.

did you Dr suggest it was Fibro related?
1. Did you sleep awkwardly?
2. Did you trip or move awkwardly?

If the pain is bad then you can ask to be referred to the clinic's physio - that helps me as they can do a trigger release, very sore at the time, but helps.
So i would have a think, have you done something to bring this on, and if it continues then go back to GP and ask for referral to physio.
Nowadays they do not agree with collars, but i always need mine when i do my neck - last time i tripped over the bed, other time i tripped and just knocked something inside.
So honey im sorry i cant give you an answer - but if its still sore in a day or two go back to GP.
Hope that ramble is of some help to you.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Carrieanne » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Thank you that has been helpful. I only got to see the emergency dr so will see my normal GP if things don't improve.

Carrie x
Carrie
Carrieanne
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:28 pm

I've got constant neck pain, but it stems from an old injury due to a car crash, which the many Drs I've seen over time think may be cause of my FMS. I find something cold is helpful as it feels like my neck is on fire. Sorry, but not much help with your question. Hope it starts to ease soon, if not, then as princess has said, go back to see your usual GP :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fabme » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm

I have 2 types of neck pain but they both feel the same in intensity etc. The only reason I can tell the difference is the duration of them, one is as as a result of a car accident/wiplash, the other is fibro. The wiplash can last upto 1-2 weeks, sometimes needing physio to resolve. The fibro one may last a few hours upto a couple of days but it goes as quickly as it comes.
Hope this is a help, but anything new is always worth checking out, I find heat and my heat/massage/tens machine also helps.
fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby deborah123 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:28 am

hi there, i have constant severe neck and shoulder pain everyday...i actually cant rem the last time it wasnt sore??...my doc put it down to car crash and fm.....its been like this for around 15years now and not a day go's by with it not being in terrible pain...painkillers take the edge of it thats all... :grouphug:
deborah123
UKFM Member

Postby gill » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:19 pm

Yes same with me,I constantly have neck and upper back pain.Its where my fibro is worst..But also a few years ago my neck seemd to "click",and i literally couldnt turn my head at all.I went to the A and E and was told my neck had gone into spasm.So it possibly could be either of these types of problem.I have previously had a neck xray,and was told i had "wear and tear",which seems to be a favourite medical term,especially if you are in middle age!!Gill.
gill
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:40 am

Neck pain seems to be very common in people with FM so it probably is. The fact that heat helps also would seem to indicate FM. All you can do is ride it out and hope it goes away. If it gets worse go back to your gp in case you need more tests to rule things out :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:57 pm

A lot of Fibromites get myofascial pain in their neck and shoulders...are the muscles hard/tight/knotty?
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:04 pm

fabme wrote:I have 2 types of neck pain but they both feel the same in intensity etc. The only reason I can tell the difference is the duration of them, one is as as a result of a car accident/wiplash, the other is fibro. The wiplash can last upto 1-2 weeks, sometimes needing physio to resolve. The fibro one may last a few hours upto a couple of days but it goes as quickly as it comes.
Hope this is a help, but anything new is always worth checking out, I find heat and my heat/massage/tens machine also helps.
fab

So how do you know that they are different? :dunno:
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby ladymanvers » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Upon trying to research this evil fibro thing (medics HATE that we mere non-medical mortals are able to evaluate and equate medical information but hey, we have brains (albeit occasionally foggy) too!), anyhow, I digress...oh yes, neck pain. I, too, have horrendous, tortuous neck pain (remember chinese burns on your wrists when you were a kid?), affecting the upper spine and back of the neck up into the head. I did have a mild car accident when I was 18 in which the slowly travelling car knocked me down onto my bottom in a sitting position and 'shovelled' me along for a few yards and from which I recovered almost immediately, but neck pain seems to be a key factor in a whole host of fibro sypmtoms.
Why we are lumped under arthritis care I will never understand. It's inflammatory and neuralogic if you ask me.
Think of the 'symptoms': Fibro Fog - lack of oxygen or processing capability to vital areas of the brain? Inflammatory in origin?
Central sleep apnea - normal motor signals not getting through (inflamed neck and brain stem?)
The ability to only micro sleep preventing normal healing of the muscles/fibres of the whole body.
Inflammation, painful lactic acid build up in the muscles.
Thyroid irregularities (enough thyroid hormone circulating in the blood stream, hence apparently 'normal' blood results) yet functional abnormalities.
The spine is like the M1 - a busy and vital 'motorway' essential for proper functioning of the body's traffic. I think we are somehow 'congested' for whatever reason - autoimmune or actual mechanical abnormalities - and this causes chaos and disruption with a knock on effect throughout our entire bodies.
In 1990 I was hospitalized as an emergency with suspected meningitis. My whole spine and neck were massively inflamed and I had vomiting and a headache from hell. I couldn't even stand for the weakness in my whole body and I was permanently dizzy. After numerous tests and doctors evaluations it turned out to be 'unknown' in origin and I was let out as the symptoms subsided only to take three months to 'recover' and for my inflammation/pain to return to previous levels, i.e. what they are now and have been for years. My then first husband and my own mother thought I was exaggerating thereafter when it took me so very long to feel reasonably 'normal' again. The pain of not being believed hurt much, much more than the pain of the actual problem.
Has anyone else had any of these symptoms/experiences, either as severe or otherwise?
Yes, fibromyalgia has now been recognised as a real and debilitating syndrome and yes, it's absolutely GREAT to be able to join in these forums and share our horrible experiences but we must FIGHT to the ultimate goal of finding and establishing a REASON for this pain. We simply cannot take it lying down (much as our condition makes us want to!!!).....
Any thoughts?
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 am

There is no inflammation with FM, hence the lack of blood tests to show we have it. It is, however thought to be a CNS problem so yes neurological not rheumatological.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:28 am

A lot of people with Fibro end up with myofascial pain problems and myofascial trigger points and restrictions are what cause the knotty/tight muscles and fast build up of lactic acid. Severe myofascial issues can also cause low-grade muscle inflammation. This is a related codition with Fibro but it's not the Fibro per se - you can have myofascial pain without having Fibro.

Fwiw, Fibro fog is most probably related to changes in the hippocampus in the brain related to the changes in neurotransmitter levels, especially dopamine.

The neck is very important with Fibro they're finding out, but it's not inflammation related: it's instability and autonomic nervous system (ANS) stimulation - Dr Holman is doing work on this atm.

Thyroid hormones should also be normal with Fibro. Borderline hypothyroidism can present with similar symptoms to Fibro so they can get mixed up, but that doesn't mean it is Fibro.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:58 am

Am interested in the Dr Holman stuff - all of what you said is very informative, thanks! I'm just feeling my way through all this new info, but have always felt my probs were, ultimately neck/neuro related. What a relief it is to have found you lot!
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:08 pm

I think I posted links to some of the info on another post of yours. PM me if not!

Fwiw, I found the info by going to the FibroAction home page (http://www.fibroaction.org/) and searching on cervical. The search function has some bugs but it's still a useful way of finding info quickly. Just try to stick to searching from the home page (as it doesn't work on some other pages) and remember to click Go and it should be fine.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems