Low Haemoglobin Levels

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Low Haemoglobin Levels

Postby petlover » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi, everyone. I went to hospital today at about 3ish to have a full blood count done. I was supposed to have it done a few weeks ago, but they had loads of trouble getting enough blood and missed out doing the full blood count in favour of other tests which were all negative. Anyway, at 6.30 this evening there was a message on my answer machine telling me that if I am short of breath or feel ill over the weekend, I'm to go to the out of hours surgery at the hospital. Then on Monday first thing, I'm to contact the dr. Apparently, my haemoglobin levels are low. I'm not sure how the blood test result got to the dr so quick; normally they take at least 10 days. And then for the dr to ring me? I have been feeling exhausted, but what's new?!! Over the last few days, i've had vertigo where the room spins even when I'm lying down. I know these two are symptoms of anaemia, but does anyone know if anaemia is a symptom of fibromyalgia, or could this be something else. Great time to be told something's wrong on a Friday evening, just after the surgery had closed till Monday!! :banghead:
petlover
UKFM Member

Re: Low Haemoglobin Levels

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:33 am

Anaemia won't be caused directly by the Fibro (although it could possibly be a side effect of a related condition, such as severe IBS, I believe) but like so many things, the symptoms overlap, so having Fibro may have meant that it's taken longer for you to get it diagnosed.

It's very important that all differentials to FIbro are considered and are re-checked for at any time if a Fibromite worsens or gets new symptoms.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:37 pm

I think maybe just best to make an appointment for your Dr and go back and voice your concerns about the results.
Please dont try and diagnose yourself, or get too deep into this, the Dr is the best person to tell you what the problem is and what he intends to do about it.
Think hemay l ask about your periods, if they are heavy, and your eating.
Dont worry about it till you have too.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:58 pm

as the others have said hun please try not to worry and get to the dr asap......... other than i fyou need the a and e as it said on you r telephone message.

Back in march when i was diagnosed with the firbo i had blood tests done. they showed up nothing fo rhte fibro etc but did show that my heamaglobin levels where low. and that the blood platelets where very low also. i had to go back and have sencond bloods done.... i got all worked up but was told that it could be anemaia as i was having problems with my periods........ anyway the second lot of bloods came back clear and i had made enough blood platelets the seoncd time...... so this may be the case with yourself.. they may retest you to see if yurs comes back up agin.

good luck and keep us posted.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby petlover » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Quick update. Eventually managed to speak to the Dr yesterday afternoon. He advised another blood test, which I had yesterday, and I have to see him tomorrow morning early with a view to being admitted and having a blood transfusion. Seemed concerned about what is causing it. My haemoglobin levels are 7 which apparently is 'dangerous'.Will update further when I know what's happening next.
petlover
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 pm

good luck with it. xxx :hugs:
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:42 pm

petlover wrote:Quick update. Eventually managed to speak to the Dr yesterday afternoon. He advised another blood test, which I had yesterday, and I have to see him tomorrow morning early with a view to being admitted and having a blood transfusion. Seemed concerned about what is causing it. My haemoglobin levels are 7 which apparently is 'dangerous'.Will update further when I know what's happening next.

Hope everything goes ok for you.
When i was very low i had to have iron injections, boy did they hurt.lol.
Keep us updated on how you go, good luck. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Let us know how you go, it could be to take tablets, or as Shaz says injections, or transfusion - but the Dr will no doubt advise you as to what is best for you.
Good luck
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby petlover » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Went to see the Dr this morning. My iron levels are 4, which is really low, but he said there was no point in me having a transfusion, as he thinks the cause is a chronic internal bleed. Also doesn't want to give me iron tablets because I am terribly constipated due to the medication I'm on, and he doesn't want to exacerbate it. So I have to do 3 separate stool samples and go for a pelvic scan, as he thinks the bleed is either bowel or uterus related, even though my periods are quite light. Anyway, thanks everyone for the good wishes. Sounds like it may take a while to get some answers.
petlover
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi
4 is very low. :hugs:
I hope you get some answers soon. Are they rushing you in to scan you?
Good luck with it all, please keep us updated. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby petlover » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Thanks, Shazq. No not rushing me in, Dr will send request to hospital. He's very laid back, and does not seem desperately concerned. I think as long as I don't feel worse he's not too worried. My iron levels were as low as 1 when my kids were little, and I managed to function normally and look after them ok. Obviously I didn't have fibro then, but at least I can rest plenty now. Really appreciate your good wishes and will update you when I know more.
petlover
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems