depression linked to FM?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

depression linked to FM?

Postby legacy69 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi everyone,
Apologies in advance as this is going to be a bit of a moan as I'm soooo fed up and depressed.

I've finally decided to accept that my FM is linked to the depression I have endured for several years. Since being diagnosed with FM a year ago, I've had a couple of really bad 'flare ups' including the one I'm in now. Looking back over the years I believe my bouts of depression have come alongside or following what I now know is FM.

I've had to admit defeat today and accept the offer of Citalopram - having been on it before and seeming relatively 'normal' i.e. manageable pain and fatigue and better mood.
Today I cried my heart out as I felt trapped by FM and depression and felt that I would never be well again. I had to call in to work to extend my sick leave and got short shrift as they have no idea what the hell we FM sufferers go through (and i work for the bl***y NHS!!! I was made to feel guilty (they are "so busy") and sat here feeling a failure to even hold down a job properly. I am ashamed to admit I cried on the phone and sounded a complete wuss - but I just want to scream at them that i don't WANT to be like this. I want to get back to work and see my friends - I want to feel normal again.
I called my GP and said "YES" please put me back on Citalopram as I felt so low I even considered my family and kids would do better without me.
Does anyone else out there have associated depression with FM?
Please if you do, post a reply so I know I'm not alone. As at this present time that's how I feel. I feel abnormal, mentally unstable and physically decrepit. Most of all I feel ashamed of myself.
:needhug:
legacy69
UKFM Member

Re: depression linked to FM?

Postby nanatigtig » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 am

Hi, Please don't be so hard on your self, I have also hit rock bottom over the years, and have needed the help of citalopan, and yes I think that depression and fibro are linked, I have only just been DX with fibro, but over the Years I have thought I was going mad, I have also had black thoughts, but my love of my family kept me going.
Forget the idiots at work,and remember that if you are not there they will always manage to cover for you no matter what blackmail they use.
Be kind to yourself. :hugs:
tig tig
nanatigtig
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 am

It iscommon for people with chronic pain (not just FM) to have depression. Living with pain and fatigue 24/7 is bound to play havoc with your mood and emotions.

Taking an antidepressant shouldn't bee seen as giving in :shock: it is a symptom of your illness and, as such, should be treated. If you had a cut on your hand would you get upset about using a plaster? If you are in pain do you get upset about taking a painkiller? So why is it that people find it hard to accept that you should get help with depression?

Your brain chemicals are out of whack and the tablet will help sort that out. FM is associated with low seratonin levels and that causes low moods. You are a perfectly normal FMer and ther's a hell of a lot of them about so NO you are not on your own shed loads of FMers are on antid's, suffer from depression and are in exactly the same boat as you.

As for work :evil: TOUGH! They can manage without you.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby legacy69 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:03 am

Thank you peeps!!!

I haven't been to bed couldn't sleep (typical!)- sat in chair all night nodding off now and then and am paying for it this morning! Knees hurt and neck stiff and sore from being in the chair!!!

You've made me feel better about being so depressed - I was beginning to think I was going mad!

Thank you for putting it all into perspective and I have to learn to accept that the depression and FM go hand in hand, and learn to deal with it.

Hope you all have a good Christmas - I noticed on a thread elsewhere on here that someone had noticed that FM sufferers tend to be kind natured people!

Your replies are proving them right!!

Thanks again :blowkiss:
legacy69
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Legacy
Depression and fibro do come together.
I go through stages of depression, on day i can be fine then the depression starts to creep in, i can feel it happening but cant stop it.
Mine can last a few days or a few weeks.

Its hard not to be depressed as we are in pain 24/7 and there is all the frustration of not being able to do normal things.
Meds can help but i still live with it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:45 am

Having to live with uncontrolled Fibro is particularly depressing so even though depression isn't linked to Fibro directly, as Gill said, it's not uncommon with chronic illnesses to develop depression.

It sounds like you need to get some help with your sleep - it should be the first thing to target in helping to manage your Fibro.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems