Lumbar Puncture day

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lumbar Puncture day

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Well said I would let you know what happened so here goes.. are you ready coz it is a shocker.

Got there as planned, dr lady came in, very nice lady indeed. Explained all the procedure and I signed my form.

She got going and my god did she hurt me. She said she was having trouble feeling my spine so had to press really hard.

4 lots of local anesthetic, tears, screams of pain as she caught nerves later she was in.

As she was draining the fluid she asked me if I suffered with headaches. My reply was yeah actually. I get them quite a lot and they are nasty one. F|igured it was just because of the Fibro. She commented that the she thought my problems were coming from something else. When I asked why she said that she thought it could be because of... ready... intracranial hypertension!!!!

I asked why she thought that and she said that the fluid from my spine was draining really quickly and that along with headaches and my double vision could be an indicator of it.

I then had to lay down for an hour afterwards.. she went off after drawing bloods. As I layed there I started getting some serious pains in my legs. They were on fire and I was crying again. Jake got the nurse and she tried to move me but I kinda screamed so she called the Dr back. Did some Neuro tests and all was OK. She managed to get me up and moving and I am home.

My results will take about a month she said. Depending on what shows up and my pressures then they will see what happens but I have to go back to my Rheumi Dr as my back is worse apparently, she is going to refer me to the pain clinic FINALLY, and I have to ask my GP for a referal to a Psychiatrist to have memory tests as she is concerned by how bad my memory is and how I struggle with words when talking.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Re: Lumbar Puncture day

Postby pinksandblues » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi sorry it didnt go well it sounds a very unpleasant procedre (dont think i would be in a hurry to get that one done )... but youve done it now out of the way well done rest to get over it :hugs: wendy :)
pinksandblues
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi
It sounds like you have had a rough time at the hospital.
:hugs:

Hope the results dont take to long, keep us updated.
Hope you recover from it soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 am

Sorry you've had a tough time. I've known people with IH on the BYDLS boards - it's a differential for chronic headaches that is often not considered.

Are you hypermobile? I am and get the common problem with that in that local anaesthetics barely work on me so I've always dreaded having to have an LP.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 pm

So sorry you have a bad experience & hope the results come back ok :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Elsbeth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I am totally the opposite to hypermobile truth be told. I have next to no range but that is due to the extent of my Arthritis.

I am all lightheaded and crap today. My back is killing me though.

What are the BYDLS boards?
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby DerekJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Yuck! There is no way they are doing that on me.
DerekJ
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm

They only do it if they think you have MS so don't worry.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems