colds and coughs connection?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

colds and coughs connection?

Postby lillymilly » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi, Does anybody find the have more coughs especially catharr type ones since having Fibromyalgia? As I do. I would like to know if there is any connection. Thank you
lillymilly
UKFM Newbie

Re: colds and coughs connection?

Postby gillshutt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 am

I get a lot of cold symptoms but no more coughs than usual, if anything I get less than I did because I'm on so many tablets and take more care of myself than I did. Touch wood I haven'thad a chest infection for quite a while and I used to get them yearly. Don't think there is a direct connection although a lot of people with FM have low immunity so that could cause it.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I get lots of sore throats but not had a cough or cold for a while. (touch wood)
I have had the flu jab and swine flu also so i hope this will keep the bugs away.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby andy12720 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am

i seem to be suffering from a lot more and persistant chest infections than normal. had this last one four weeks now. but then i also suffer from asthma as well as fibro. :wave:
andy12720
UKFM Member

Postby lillymilly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:53 am

Thank you for all your replys everyone,mmmm so maybe we do have a lower immunity or maybe its just that i now have granddaughter who gives me them! It was just that i never suffered with coughs and colds before i was like this! Just wondered.xx
lillymilly
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:54 am

IMO i feel having FM lowers the immunity as our bodies/mind are coping with daily pain & fatigue and in alot of people depression & anxiety....

I feel alot of sufferers are very run down and exhausted trying to cope with FM & looking after families/work which adds to the immunity crashing

I would suggest taking a multivitamin (always check with GP/pharmacy if on meds) to help boost the immunity....
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 pm

I get almost constant sore throats too Shaz! Had my tonsils out at 38 but now get pharyngitis, same thing but deeper as no tonsils :( plus not always bacterial but inflammatory ones too :(

I also find that taking a multivitamin helps but I use a multivitaim AND mineral, which covers for selenium, iodine, iron, magnesium etc, too. I only buy a cheap, Morrison's own, brand but they're fine... :)

Snow showers forecast here in Nottingham today, beginning to cloud over; still bitter - I changed the birds' water twice already as it keeps re-freezing over.

Have to keep re-writing this as am getting my words/spellings muddled today; was FLYING yesterday; what a tricksy bummer this Fibro is :!:

Ju.xxx :wave:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Having uncontrolled Fibro means you will be run down, so just like anyone under a lot of stress or illness, it's harder to fight off infections.

If you get a lot of sinus problems, it might be worthwhile considering whether you could have a chronic Candida problem - many of the symptoms mimic Fibro so it can be easy to miss.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi Linz

Is it right one should cut down on sugary things with a candida problem? And what are the treatments otherwise? What are the symptoms then?

Ju.x :wave:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Symptoms of Candiasis are recurrent thrush, oral thrush, fungal skin infections, GI issues - especially bloating and diarrhoea - and recurrent sinus infections/always being bunged up and coughing up gunk. Candidasis will also cause fatigue, achiness, myofascial pain and headaches.

If you do have this, it really needs treating with anti-fungal medications, while cutting sugary foods out of your diet, but there are some supplements that can be very helpful too. It's also important to take probiotics during and after treatment. Leon Chaitow's book Candida Albicans is very good on what supplements to take.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:38 pm

thank you Linz...Ju.x
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby lillymilly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Linz i have just been looking up Candida, I have for ages had what i call a yeasty infection of some kind under my breast ,in creases of groin and insides of elbows i also get quite a few bouts of thrush. i have asked different doctors about the rash and stickyness under my bust so many times to which they just tell me it is a sweat rash, without i might add even touching it!! it feels sticky and smells a little yeasty. Maybe this is what is wrong with me. I also have to use a Beconase nasal spray all the time as i have a post nasal drip which causes lots of catarrah and eye /nose pain. thank you so much your suggestions xx
lillymilly
UKFM Newbie

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Buy Canesten Hydrocortisone for your sweat rash; it is the usual Canestan anti-fungal but mixed with hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation and heal it up more quickly. It can be bought over the counter. There are lots of Canestens so make sure it's the right one; ask the pharmacist if you're unsure.

Ju.x
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 pm

You really need to get a referral if your GP is pooh-pooing this. You shouldn't use creams with hydrocortisone long term unless on prescription so you need to find out exactly what it is.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:39 am

Yes, not more than a fortnight for hydrocortisone without medical approval; that is usually long enough for it to work and if it doesn't then there are other factors at play. Look on Canesten website and / or ask the pharmacist or GP.

Ju.x
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems