can a car accident worsen fm?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

can a car accident worsen fm?

Postby justxme73 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:58 am

ive just bin involved in a car accident, my lefr arm, neck is all numb. people are laughin at me saying im just sayin it to make a claim. can a car accident worsen fm?? :(
justxme73
UKFM Member

Re: can a car accident worsen fm?

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Yes, any trauma can, but particularly whiplash. You will also feel more pain from a minor injury because of the Fibro and possibly take longer to recover. Physio can be helpful with this kind of injury, as can myofascial release.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 pm

I had a car accident when I was 18 which I believe started my fibro symptoms.
Three years ago I had a very bad knock on the head from a sideways direction which jarred my neck extremely badly. Last year I had a fall in February's snow and jarred my spine yet again.
My Fibro symptoms worsened after each I'm afraid :(

Ju.xxx
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Any kind of trauma will make things worse - also if you are sore from bumps etc.,
hope you feel better soon.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby justxme73 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm

think i will stay at home in bed till this nasty weather goes

thank every1 for replying!!!
justxme73
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm

i had a car accident 2 1/2 years ago when car behind didnt stop at traffic lights, and ran right into back of me. fortunately myself & daughter walked away with only severe whiplash, but it has definitely made my fibro symptoms worse since.

i had a medical for the insurance claim, and the dr in his report stated it would take at least 2 years until i reached the point i was at before the accident ... 2 1/2 years later and i still havnt improved to that point.

so a definite YES from me

and dont worry bout people saying you are only in it for the claim/money ... if you were injured and not at fault, you are ENTITLED to claim for personal injury - after all why do we pay all the money to our insurers in the first place xxx
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:40 pm

hi
i am hypersensative to pain, so i always feel far worse after say a bump than a 'normal' person would. so yes i personally would expect fibro to worsen.
fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:17 pm

If I had a car accident tomorrow, I'd keep it from my GP.

Why?

I'd just get accused of trying to get compensation, he/she may not say it to my face, but it wouldn't do any good in the big picture of convincing the NHS about the severity and nature of my symptoms. FM has a terrible stigma attached as it is.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 pm

i had a car accicent last year after i was diag with fibro. and i was hurt but not enough to warrant a claim. however if i was in a bad accident that i need to claim for then i would....

the prob is though proving what pain etc you had befor ethe accident and what is different after. as with fibro so many things are still unknown that you woul dprob have difficulty proving what is new from the accident etc.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby Kazzy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:45 pm

I had a car accident when I was 21. I actually think this is what started my FM.
I have had a couple of accidents since, where cars have run into the back of mine. In addition to this I have had a number of falls, the most recent one being Jan 2010. Each time my condition has deteriorated. :(
Kazzy
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Any kind of stress can make your worse or even start this illness.
Mine was with stress and a really bad infection - so a car accident id say yes
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby BAXTER BOY » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:41 pm

I had a accident in 2007 and I have ad FM for years and it as defenately made me feel a lot worse and we are 3 years further on.
Mine was rear end high speed shunt and I would recomend anybody that is involved in an accident report it to their gp no matter what others say you never know what problems are going to surface as a result. 8)
BAXTER BOY
UKFM Member

Postby jimmy-law » Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 am

yes surely it can worsen if you are not extra careful
jimmy
jimmy-law
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems