swollen hands

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

swollen hands

Postby andy12720 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 pm

hiya guys and gals woke up with really swollen hands this morning only really just gone down. does anybody else suffer with this :yikes:
andy12720
UKFM Member

Re: swollen hands

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Never had this; some medications can cause this; also hypothyroidism (low thryroid hormone) but it depends on whether you've had this before or if it's the first time/whether they went back to normal quickly or not...you need medical advice: NHS direct or
perhaps you should see your GP?

Ju.xxx :wave:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Ditto to what Ju said. It could be nothing (fluid retention) but it could be a sign of something more serious - it's not really a Fibro thing.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Both my partner and i get swollen hands.
He gets it lots, the skin goes tight and they are tingly and get very hot.
Our GP told us it was connected to fibro.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lesley 80 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:39 pm

hi i get swollen hands too. I wake up some mornings with my rings really tight on my fingers and i can't get them off. It takes them hours to go down.

Lesley.
lesley 80
UKFM Member

Postby andy12720 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:41 pm

been to see doc this afternoon he should do stand up comedy he`s brilliant he said it would be connected to fibro, hes upped my meds because im still not sleeping so will see if that helps. must admit it was the first time my hands have ever swollen and prob overdoing this week hasnt helped.
andy12720
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Swelling is NOT a normal symptom of Fibro. Slight swelling when you wake up can be fluid retention from poor circulation. I suppose you could say that Fibro is connected to fluid retention in some way, especially from lack of exercise or myofascial restrictions, but anything more is not part of Fibro.

If you repeatedly get swelling of extremities and joints, get it properly checked out. It could be a sign of something else going on, e.g. RA, or hypermobility syndrome (where partial dislocations can cause joint swelling). Conditions like RA can be very hard to diagnose in the early stages, so it's important to get rechecked if you get atypical symptoms like this.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems