Describe your NECK PAIN......

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Describe your NECK PAIN......

Postby ladymanvers » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:11 pm

I am quite interested in the degree and type of neck pain suffered....mine is like someone turning a screw into the back of my head/neck right in the middle where the spine goes into the head.
I suffer all day (some days better than others) but at night it's at its worst when I put my head back, and I fight with various pillow types and pillow height throughout the night.
I go dizzy when putting back my head and sometimes the back of my head goes numb when it's at its worst....
Is this usual or is it just me?

Ju.xxx
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Re: Describe your NECK PAIN......

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:07 pm

It's not that uncommon with Fibromites but it isn't something that automatically comes with Fibro and does warrant further investigations. Unfortunately, it's likely that you might have to go private to get myofascial issues checked out (assuming CTs/MRIs come out clear).
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby fabme » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:33 pm

hi
I have neck pain, but in the past i had 2 serious wiplash injuries. I have pain in base of head/neck radiating into backhead hedach, with pains in my shoulders. The only way i can differentiate between fibro and flare up of the wiplash is the duration of the pain, wiplash can last a few weeks the oher is transient.
as someone has mentioned previosly you do need to get it checked out if you have no history of neck problems
fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Helen Marie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 pm

i would say most of my FM symptoms are related to, or present along with my neck pain, it really is the worst part for me (followed by the legs). i sometimes have swelling over the part of the neck which joins the spine, at these times i use ibrofen gel and convince myself it helps.

I use the tens machine on really bad days, not on the neck bone, at the sides, and two on my shoulders.

My neck pain radiates out to cause pins and needles in my shoulders and arms, hand pains and weakness, headache and sometimes migraine. It feels like my head is too heavy, like i cant support it :(

It was suggested by my doc years ago that it was a form of arthiritis but the bloods and xray came back fine. No further diagnosis, but have had two clear brain scans.

I can sometimes ease it with gentle excercise, but sometimes it makes it worse. I always blame my posture and spend every minute trying to readjust my position, posture etc (driving myself nuts in the process) and trying to get some relief.

If the neck pain is making me cry in pain, i take two boots tension head ache tabs, make me a bit woozy so I only use at night. you can buy them over the counter. Dont know if it provides relief or if it just helps me to relax, its sometimes better the next day, sometimes not, but i get a good sleep!

Also, i have a memory pillow. it took some getting used to but i find a normal pillow really unsupportive now. I have a neck collar also, but am too stubborn to use it ... its there for backup lol.

i guess my neck pain is tension related?

My sister has FM and her neck isnt a problem, always her legs.

i guess we just have a week or trigger point?
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 pm

The neck is a common area for myofascial problems in patients with Fibro. Tension, hard muscles, burning pain and pain or pins-and-needles radiating down the arms and back are all possible signs of this.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby lauramath » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:26 pm

I have once again put my neck out. I do this every few months doing something stupid, like brushing my hair or taking a shower....

So usually it is due to leaning my head backward, and trust me, I am pretty careful about my movements, but every once in a while I get a squishy excruciating pain and then all of the muscles through my back and shoulders tighten up, and if I flex my neck I get excruciating pain (i.e. look down, sideways or up...). It takes from 3 to 10 days to get better, which means, getting back to the status quo of tension and pain that I live with on a normal day.

I was diagnosed with degenerative spinal stenosis in the States, after an MRI, but that diagnosis was reversed here in the UK.

That particular pain is at the base of my skull. so...C1? I also have a lot of pain, moreso on the left hand side, which radiates and causes pain on a daily, chronic basis from C2 - C5
lauramath
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:58 pm

I have OA in my neck where it joins my spine.. it feels like someone has hit me with a mallet, also I then get pain between my shoulderblades, like I've been punched. Then theres the nerve pain which runs down my left arm... chronic toothache of the arm.

I would say you need to get it checked out as it could be a few things and not necessarily anything to do with FM.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby matthew » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:17 am

The Rheumatologist said there was a lot of spasm in my neck and I'm not sure what this means (LinzWorld? :) )but it is certainly the most painful part of my body.

It mostly feels like a fierce ache but sometimes like a stabbing pain. At its worst paracetamol and tramadol do not touch it but for some reason I do find some relief in Radian B (an analgesic spray).

Also, I have to be extra careful with my posture and postion of my neck as, like Helen said, this can make things much worse.
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Postby lesley 80 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 am

my neck pain is like someone is squeezing the bottom of my head and the bottom of my neck in oppostie directions. It feels really tight and weak and stops me from doing enything when it is bad.

Sometimes it is so bad i can't life my head of the pillow.
lesley 80
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

The Rheumatologist said there was a lot of spasm in my neck and I'm not sure what this means (LinzWorld? )but it is certainly the most painful part of my body.

It's probably myofascial restrictions/trigger points. The fact that you notice posture affecting may mean you have positional cervical cord compression, but dealing with myofascial restrictions will make it easier to do stretches and exercises to improve your posture.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby matthew » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am

LinzWorld wrote:It's probably myofascial restrictions/trigger points. The fact that you notice posture affecting may mean you have positional cervical cord compression, but dealing with myofascial restrictions will make it easier to do stretches and exercises to improve your posture.

Thanks Linz, you're a real asset to this forum. :)
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Postby normalnutter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:01 pm

ladymanvers wrote:I am quite interested in the degree and type of neck pain suffered....mine is like someone turning a screw into the back of my head/neck right in the middle where the spine goes into the head.
I suffer all day (some days better than others) but at night it's at its worst when I put my head back, and I fight with various pillow types and pillow height throughout the night.
I go dizzy when putting back my head and sometimes the back of my head goes numb when it's at its worst....
Is this usual or is it just me?

Ju.xxx

:wave: mines the same, have pinpointed the pain back to the base of my spine with relazation [spelling thats the dislexia] :wave:
normalnutter
UKFM Member

Postby swampiesue » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm

A gentle nagging pain that hurts my shoulders when I move my head. To feeling of a hot burning poker being plunged between my head and shoulder. Especially when I have been out shopping.
swampiesue
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems