Question for female species on this board....

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Question for female species on this board....

Postby groovy_chick » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 pm

......not sure which board this question should actually belong to but I was wondering if any of you ladies had a Mirena coil fitted, and if so, how did/do you get on with it and why you had it fitted in the first place?

I will explain a bit more later.... :oops:
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Re: Question for female species on this board....

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Sorry i cant help you there as i had a cone biospy, they took nearly all of my cervix away so not enough to put in a coil :shock:

BUT my friend had one.... whilst making love somehow the coil ripped out and left a huge wounde and she fell pregnant!! :yikes:

TBH iv not heard a good thing about coils.... :dunno:

I hope your ok & i hope its ok for you! :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Ems » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 pm

i havent had one fitted yet unfortunatly my monthlys and doc dont seem to meat at the same time if you know what i mean lol been waiting 4 months

i asked to be steralized because i didnt want anymore kids, doc recommended coil because it would also help with menapouse when i get there !
Emma
:hugs:

Yes please i'll have diet coke with mine ;)
Ems
UKFM Member

Postby Ems » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 pm

i've had a normal coil before and it was fine btw !
Emma
:hugs:

Yes please i'll have diet coke with mine ;)
Ems
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:52 pm

hello

I had the mirena coil fitted approx 3 years ago. I'd been on the pill for sometime and kept forgetting to take it somedays fibrofog!. Doctor suggested this cos you didnt have to remember.

Fitting went ok. But i suffered with terrible breast pain! kept going back to doc who said it was a very rare side effect. I had it fitted in August but couldnt take anymore so i had it removed the following april. I'd given it all that time for it to settle but it hadnt.

The most annoying thing is all my friends have had it since with no problems. My doc has suggested the copper coil but said its not as effective so its put me off!. I certainly dont want any more children!

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi..

i had a marina coil fitted to help with severe periods and honestly, I loved it.
I didn't have a period for 18 months and it was great. I lost some weight and generally felt better.

Fast forward 2 years later and I was pregnant. Mine had moved as well and I didn't know.

After having baba I was having really bad periods again and they suggested having another one fitted. I had no issue with this but decided to give my ody chance to calm down a bit first and didn't actually need it again. If however, I had still been bad I would have done it again without hesitation.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm on my second Mirena coil. First one was in for the recommended 5 yrs with no probs, just a slight bit of PMT once in a while, but nothing like what I had while I was on the pill. Now on the second on, replacement fitted October 2008. Similar thing again, little bit of PMT, but nothing I can't cope with. Initial fitting and the replacement was uncomfortable, felt like something was going to burst out like the aliens in the films :lol: Had stomach cramps for a couple of days after, but settled pretty quickly. Wouldn't go back on the pill now, esp as I don't have the monthly blobbing now :D :D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby velvet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:27 pm

i had one fitted just before christmas after having to come of pill for surgery and discovering i still had a sex drive - something missing whilst i had been on the pill.

it was uncomfortable on the day, some period type pain but fine since. a bit of spotting for 5 days after fitting but fine since.

oh and so far so good with the sex drive - its still here lol
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Miss sleepy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:18 pm

pardon?????? if they move they dont work???? AAAAAAAAAA I had an ultrasound last year as lost the threads they said it had moved not come out never said anything about a risk of it being less effecive.

- and to for the original question, no probs with the second one apart from "Loosing it" but my first one fell out ouchie. Had it to help with heavy periods, works a treat :)
Never judge a day by the weather.
The best things in life aren't things.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
Goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses.
Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.
No rain - no rainbows.
Miss sleepy
UKFM Member

Postby groovy_chick » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks for yor replies, well I guess I ought to explain...I was recommended this by gynae for the management of pelvic /ovulation/period pain and also cause I can't have a combined hormone treatment due to migraines. Mine is not really for contraceptive purposes but I guess that is bonus lol They also think I might have endo possibly and want to see if the coil can help (before putting me under to have a look) as apparently this would be offered for endo treatment anyway.......soooooo I have to say I am swaying between having sth alien hanging from my bits that can give horrible side effects and not having period and related problems.....hhhhmmmm..... :? .....am off to GP next week so will see
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby NaseebApnaApna » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 pm

hi, hope i ca help.

i had it fitted last year for heavy and long periods. periods which were not periodical!!!! every 2/3 weeks, very long. very painful...... the list goes on.

i have some spottig occasionally, and some pain, very rarely.

i am ok with it.

hope this helps

n a a
NaseebApnaApna
UKFM Member

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for all your replies. Have been to see GP and have completely chickened out and opted for progesteron only pill instead of Mirena coil. It should work on the same principle so we'll see :dunno: . GP was trying to re-assure me it will have hardly any side effects at all but I have done my dig around and have to say am really in 2 minds whether to be taking this or just put up with the pain :?
Anyways, will see I guess....... :needhug:
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems