IBS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IBS

Postby Woodentop » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:35 pm

I know a lot of us suffer from IBS, but until recently my symptoms have been relatively mild. What I want to know is whether you can have really severe symptoms with pain so bad that you can only curl up in bed. For the second time in 6 months I have had stomach and abdominal pain which is extreme to say the least. It comes over in waves, lasts for a few seconds ( although it seems like a lifetime ) and then goes again. At my worst the pains were every 5 - 10 minutes and now after 3 days they are still there but I can cope with it. At first I couldn't eat but now I'm finding that eating a little helps. Has anyone else been this bad? My family thought I had a bug, but everyone else is okay and because this is the second time I've had it I'm wondering if I need to see the doc with this.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Re: IBS

Postby Ems » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Is the pain low down ? Or high up under the ribs ? Also does it go through to your back ? Is all most like really bad constipation as in your bowels feel huge and have indegestion ?
Emma
:hugs:

Yes please i'll have diet coke with mine ;)
Ems
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:57 pm

It does sound like constipation , the pain and the cramps, lots of us suffer from this.
A lot of pain killers can cause this.
Try drinking lots of water and maybe use something like lactalose. (Check with your GP to comform this first.)
Hope it eases soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Woodentop » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for your replies. It definitely isn't constipation - quite the opposite for the first 24 hours! The pain is literally all over - right from the top of my stomach to the abdomen and round to my back. Yes my bowels do feel blown up - just as if I've eaten to much. It's the severity of the pain that is frightening.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby Ems » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 pm

The reason I ask is because I had my first gallstone attack about 3 wks ago severe pain so bad rolling around the crying in agony comes in strong waves and then slows down and it almost felt like constipation and also indigestion. Might be worth checking out ??
Emma

Ems
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 pm

yes i have had pain that severe with IBS. it was a couple of years ago when i was doing my annual sort of holiday visiting an agricultural show for four consequtive days. it appeared that as my eating times and diet had changed radically (for those 4 days i sample the delights of the show food) my gut went on strike - everything out as fast as it could go, cramps that doubled me up, full body sweats, i was left weak and shaky. i tried the medical block but they couldnt do anything for me. fortunetly as i spent the day on nothing but water it eased enough for me to drive home where by i got myself some buscopan and anti diaraeha tablets checking it was OK to take them together (it is) they made it bearable and i now carry them if i am doing anything radically different in my day to day life.

however it i would recommend you check in with the doctor just in case it is something else - but easing slowly after 3 days sounds like i had.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Woodentop » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks guys. I'm feeling a whole lot better today, although when I eat I feel very full after only eating a small amount ( still, on the bright side, I could lose some weight! )
My husband had gallstones some years ago, so I know what he went through with that and I don't think it is, but if I have another do like that again, I will see the doc. The trouble is, I seem to always be there lately, over things which the doctor thinks are minor, but to me are a big problem witht the fibro as well.Anyway just talking on this forum is a great help.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Glad you are feeling better today. :hugs:

I am always at my GP surgery as well. i take a list with me now incase i have missed anything out.lol.
I am lucky i have an understanding GP.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ems » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:42 am

Glad your feeling better. :D my husbands always asking me when am I moving in the docs lol. I wrote a list cos I always forget something but typicaly forgot the list ! :oops:
Emma

Ems
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems