Borderline Personality Disorder and Antipsychotic Drugs

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Borderline Personality Disorder and Antipsychotic Drugs

Postby pinkfairygirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 pm

I have been diagnosed with BPD and have been under the psyciatric team nearly all my life. TBH I hate the psyciatric team, I feel most of the time they are against me. They are talking about drugging me up with antipsychotic drugs which I have refused to take in the past, I take enough pills without taking something I feel I don't need which could portentially make my physical health worse. Anyone here had experience of BPD or other PD's? Has anyone here had to take antipsychotic drugs and how did it affect you FM?
Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend!
pinkfairygirl
UKFM Member

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder and Antipsychotic Drugs

Postby matthew » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 am

I've been taking an antipsychotic called Sulpiride for 12 years for severe anxiety and for me it's been a life-saver. The dose varies between 600mg and 800mg depending in what state I'm in but I know I really need it because any less than 600mg and I start going really loopy.

The only real side effects I get are sedation and weight gain but people can react very differently to antipyschotics and I've been on a few (Risperidone in particular) that have made me feel very ill, so it's important to find the one that suits you best.

I can't say Sulpiride has made my FM worse because it came on after I started taking it, but all these drugs do have a tendancy to make you lethargic so it might not help with fatigue.

The prospect of taking antipyschotics can sound scary but personally I think they have an unfair reputation. The older phenothiazines perhaps deserve this reputation, but the newer ones are really effective with minimum side effects.

They are all very effective as mood stablisers and in reducing anxiety and impusive behaviour so if these are big problems then it's certainly worth trying.
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems