IBS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IBS

Postby JacquiG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

Hi,

My IBS (at least I am assuming it is this) has really flared in the last few weeks with the last week being particularly bad. I am seeing my GP tomorrow as the medication he has given me is no use at all and I need to get something which will bring it under control. Feel like I'm chained to the house at the moment!

If anyone else also has this symptom, can you please help with telling me what medication you are on and if this does help keep things under control.

Thanks for reading.

Jacqui :(
JacquiG
UKFM Newbie

Re: IBS

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:04 pm

:wave:

Alot of sufferers also have IBS and am sure they will help you with advice :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:48 pm

No medications - I got it under control with diet, fibre supplements and medications and now just have to watch my diet a little bit. I highly recommend the book 'The First Year: IBS' by Heather Van Vorous.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Jacquieg
I also have IBS, I do not take medication, I have got to watch what i eat, sorry you can,t get out of the house, i now what that can be like, hope GP can give you something to help.
Budda.xx
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby loubie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:28 pm

hi :wave:

my diet has nothing to do with my IBS have tryed all difrent ways with diet
it is stress and upset that flares mine up
i am on spasmonal and find that good for me
although i just said diet has nothing to do with it.....the only thing food wise i find is good is porage oats
hope that is of help
loubie x
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby cariad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi. I've had IBS for nearly 50 years now although I wa given all sorts of different diagnosis before IBS! Mine is definitely triggered by stress so I do try to pre-empt sudden unavoidable stress if at all possible. Things that help...peppermint tea and oil. I drink the tea and rub the oil on my tummy when in spasm. Not much of the medication helps and even it it starts to I find within 4/5 days of taking it the effect wears off and is useless. I avoid coffee and spicy foods cos they aggravate it. I try to drink a lot of very weak squash to keep my system moving. I have just started to massage my palms when in pain as I have read that hand reflexology is good but I'll let you know later on. I have booked a reflexology on Monday as I know that brings relief. I think you have to try to work it out for yourself as we all react in different ways to it. Good luck! :wave:
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby Julie. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:56 pm

I have had IBS too now for 40 years or more and i too think its triggered by stress for me too.
I have tried cutting out foods and it dosn't help me.
Coffee for me though is a big no no and causes me severe wind and the runs.

I take Colpermin and also Colofac when in a bad flare and keep drinking alot of warm water.

Also i eat small and often and try to avoid big meals as they set me off as well.

Good luck.
Take one day at a time. Tomorrow will wait.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Postby normalnutter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:04 am

ITS ME AGAIN :wave: no meds diet only and I manage to keep it under control most of the time unless im on a roundabout, but my mum has a condition called divaticulitus [spelling wrong] this manifested its self in the same way for years until it went into the blood stream after the op change of diet no probs [unhealthy food] :wave:
JacquiG wrote:Hi,

My IBS (at least I am assuming it is this) has really flared in the last few weeks with the last week being particularly bad. I am seeing my GP tomorrow as the medication he has given me is no use at all and I need to get something which will bring it under control. Feel like I'm chained to the house at the moment!

If anyone else also has this symptom, can you please help with telling me what medication you are on and if this does help keep things under control.

Thanks for reading.

Jacqui :(
normalnutter
UKFM Member

Postby Lunar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 am

I have suffered with IBS for years too, could be due to any number of reasons I know, but I have managed to control it fairly well with diet.
By taking a food intolerance blood test and cutting out the foods that showed up, I have managed well, although meds can cause the odd hiccup. After keeping strictly free of the known offenders, I slowly allowed myself the odd bit now and again, and changed to spelt flour, (just couldn't get on with gluten free), and have so far, been lucky enough to stay ok.
I'm not saying diet is your problem of course, just hoping it could be that simple. I know how it is to feel you can't leave the security of a close-at-hand loo, and dread causing a stink all the time :oops:
Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open:)
Lunar
UKFM Member

Postby KateXXXXXX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Oh, the joys of IBS...

Mine triggered years ago after a grumbling appendix haunted me for a couple of years, and was exacerbated by 10 years of gall bladder disease. After removal of the offending useless bits of innards, I am left with an inability to process fats properly. Greasy food goes through me like... Well, 'greased s***' comes to mind! :lol:

Going wheat free (rather than gluten free) is helping. A good mix of non-wheat fibers from loads of fresh veg (cooked and raw), plus plenty of fluids helps. And steering clear of red wine, red meat, coffee, sweet stuff, artificial sweeteners and colourings, anything vast ib chocolate, and anything fatty AT ALL is getting it back to what passes for 'normal' round here. I'm lucky in that spices seem to be OK so far. :woot:
Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
KateXXXXXX
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

I had IBS 20 years ago.
But recently as you kinow i have right side pain in bowel - just got word should be in end Feb - beginning of March.
Two ideas of thought - diverticulities, kink, or IBS - but this is so different from the last time.
Im in pain every day all day and sometime i just cant go!!!!
strange people we are sometimes
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby kerrie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I have had upper abdomen pain for 18 motnhs and consultant says after doing all the tests its IBS. Do any of you guys get the pain in your upper abdomen?? and have the pain nearly everyday? My understanding of IBS was it would flaor up then go then come back and be in your lower abdomen??
kerrie
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 pm

I got my appointment for my colonoscopy - next tuesday morning, at 10.30 - so ill let you all know how i get on.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Hay1ie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 am

Hiya,

I have IBS too and have found that colonic irrigation can help the symptoms....for a few months if I am lucky :)

Has anyone else tried CI and if so what results did you get?

Hayley
Just because I am in pain doesn't mean I am one! LOL
Hay1ie
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:26 pm

No i have never tried that as i have worse pain when i actually go - in this part of the bowel it really hurts.
Anyway i got my med for tomrrow and then its hospital tuesday morning - will let you know how i get on
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems