'Sleep Disturbances'

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

'Sleep Disturbances'

Postby Sazzle Frazzle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I've had FM for 4 years now but have only recently been diagnosed, so I've been reading up on the sort of symptoms people can get and found the lists are very very vague! I just wanted to know what sort of 'sleep disturbances' people get. In the past 4 years I've had very severe restless leg syndrome, horrific nightmares, and also suffered a few times with sleep paralysis where I am awake but my body is paralysed. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this type of thing, or if it's not actually related to FM...

Thanks! x
Sazzle Frazzle
UKFM Newbie

Re: 'Sleep Disturbances'

Postby tireesix » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:20 pm

I suffer awful nightmares, restless legs, waking up during the night feeling as though my pelvis is being ripped apart (might be my EDS though), feeling as though my back has been whacked several times by a sledge hammer (might be EDS though), incredibly painful other parts, spasms, stiffness, waking up and not being able to get to sleep, palpitations, hearing voices in my head (might be depression though, very scary), headaches, stupid things stopping me from getting to sleep or waking me up.

Usually though, pain is my main factor.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby lesley 80 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 pm

I get night terrors, night sweats, extreme pain, exhaustion but not being able to sleep, stiffness, sleep talking etc. Its a real joy for my husband.

hope you don't get all of these, they are not nice.

Good luck and i hope they don't get worse.

x
lesley 80
UKFM Member

Postby fairy dust » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:13 pm

i suffer from rls and insomnia, ive been on amitriptylne for about 5 years now,with the dosage going up and down,although some nights it works(if im exhausted)but others it doesnt,the docs gave me stronger sleeping tablets but they made me sleep 24 hrs so got taken off them so back to just amitriptyline,i still spend till about 11pm moving and jumping and trying to get comfy but once i get to sleep i get a few good hours unbroken(untill i need a wee)then im back to square 1 again and again :grouphug:
please bear with me - my brain works fine its the body that lets me down !
fairy dust
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm

i have problems getting to sleep in the first place though until recently relaxation techniques have dealt with that - now i find it hard to focus the brain to relax and end up going in circles :crazy:

once i am asleep i now dream far more actively - i have always dreamt in colour and had a reasonable memory for dreams but now i dont seem to do anything other that dream . also instead of moving from a dream to deeper properly restorative sleep i move to half awake or even totally awake.

this means when i wake up i hurt, am stiff, and still feel tired.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:48 am

Sleep disturbances as part of Fibro include:

The non-restorative sleep (alpha wave intrusion if that means anything to you) that is a core symptom of Fibro.

Possible insomnia.

RLS.

Disturbed sleep because of pain.

Night sweats.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

I wake 4 or 5 times a night and then of course have to get up to pee - ive never had an clear nights sleep for how long? I cant remember broken sleep all the time no matter how tired i am.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:00 pm

I am up 4 to 5 times a night to pee, so not much sleep for me.
I will sleep for about 2 hrs then i am wide awake. :evil:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nanatigtig » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:42 am

shazq wrote:I am up 4 to 5 times a night to pee, so not much sleep for me.

Me too! :(
nanatigtig
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:03 am

nanatigtig wrote:
shazq wrote:I am up 4 to 5 times a night to pee, so not much sleep for me.

Me too! :(

Its not fair is it, i never feel refreshed when i get out of bed. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lunar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 am

Wow! This is really interesting, things are beginning to make so much sense...in as much as anything does in my foggy head :lol:
I have blamed so many of my symptoms, (that my GP now thinks is due to fibro), to other things I've had going on; the stress of dealing with my somewhat abnormal childhood, my hormones, the cancer, being over weight, not getting enough exercise, etc.
My mind is a whirl trying to take all this in!
I've been tying myself up in knots trying to work out why I feel so ill all the time, so bruised, achey, stiff and tired, and why, when I do feel on the mend, does that only last a short while?!
And why can't I sleep without chemical aid now, when not so long ago I could have slept deeply at the drop of a hat, any time, anywhere?!
I think I now know , how Dorothy, (in wellies rather than ruby red slippers), felt when she at last got back to Kansas!
Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open:)
Lunar
UKFM Member

Postby Charlee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 pm

I suffer in my sleep not sure if its fibro related but i sleep walk and talk/scream and get violent in my sleep, my poor boyfriend. It is scary though becuase i have been know to pick up my children out of bed in the middle of the night and pace with them up and down, i have to keep the front door locked! I have punched, scrathced, kicked and screamed at my boyfriend when i was asleep am reguarly ripping the covers apart trying to 'find something' never remeber when i wake up though, i go through phases of it, its a pita becuase i always end up completelt exhuasted the next day.
Charlee
UKFM Member

Postby fionarodriguez » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 am

hi i have problems getting of to sleep due to lpain when i do go to sleep i wake because the pain wakes me, for the last 2 weeks i find when i wake i cant move i have problems trying to turn over, i have found at the mo i can only sleep on my left side. i lso get night sweats as well. i find my hands are swollen in the mornings and can walk tyo good in the mornings.
fionarodriguez
UKFM Member

Postby Sazzle Frazzle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for all your replies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Personally I think the main reason I wake up in the night (and also have restless legs) is because I feel hot - but I know I'm not hot because I can get it in the middle of winter when it's freezing, I just feel hot! Especially my legs. It's interesting because the same nerve pathway in your body conveys both pain and temperature. I'd like a new working pathway to stop me feeling pain and heat when there isn't any!
Sazzle Frazzle
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems