Doc's today/underactive tyroid

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doc's today/underactive tyroid

Postby mischief » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Have bad pain today and yesterday in my knees, right hip and arms and feeling very sorry for myself :oops:

But...

Had my doctor's appointment and my already underactive thyroid is very underactive so my thyroxin dosage is up from 125mg to 175mg which is nearly half my original dose extra :shock: :shock:

I am soooo relieved, at least in a couple of weeks now I might have some energy back!

Anyone with an underactive thyroid, make sure you ask to have your bloods done if its been a while since you had your thyroid checked especially if you have a 'sudden', bad FMS flare up :)
mischief
UKFM Member

Re: Doc's today

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:43 am

It's a good reminder to get new symptoms rechecked...not everything is Fibro but a lot of things can seem like they're Fibro. Fibro can hide a lot of other problems that might need treating differently. :)
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Re: Doc's today/underactive tyroid

Postby smoky » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Somewhere on all the fibro symptoms I have seen, it says that many fibro sufferers also have unstable underactive thyroid. It has certainly been the case for me, though I seem a little better now. My doc insisted I got my thyroid under control for at least a few months before she would consider any other reasons for my ligament pain; and she was right as maltreated thyroid can cause ligament pains and flare ups.
I sympathise with you re the fatigue though; it is my main underactive thyroid symptom and it is awful!
Good luck! :D
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby mischief » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Thank you for your support:)
I must admit I have felt absolutely desperate for the past couple of weeks - I am very lucky though as my GP is really supportive but at home, sometimes I feel pretty desperate...........
Am on Levothyroxin, Injections for vitamin B12, Tramadol and Prozac - should be raring to go....but...sadly am not :(
Having to start back in work on Monday and dreading it..... :needhug:
mischief
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Underactive thyroid is not a symptom of Fibro, but Fibro will hide the first warning signs/symptoms, as with many illnesses.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby mischief » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:53 pm

I have had underactive thyroid for about 6 years as well as other problems - coschondritis, osteoarthritis etc. I was diagnosed (officially) with FMS/CFS three weeks ago.
I find that the fibro does affect the way my immune system in general behaves or it could be the other way 'round - my unstable immune system triggers the Fibro Flare ups.... :?
Is there anyone else with the same....?
If I was a car I feel like I need a major service or get scrapped........ :oops: :crazy:
mischief
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:00 pm

sorry if I was not clear; I know thryroid is not a symptom of fibro but it sometimes runs in addition to it and if you have fibro then often the thyroid condition is unstable
smoky
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems