Myofacial Pain and FMS (DIFFERENCE)!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Myofacial Pain and FMS (DIFFERENCE)!

Postby Julie. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi everyone.
I know Linz is an expert on MPS so if you read this could you give me some advice please.
I have been to see my Gp (again) this morning as been having severe IBS for several weeks now and feeling very sick too.
I have alot of pain/stiffness all over my rib-cage which i know is pressing on my bowel causing all sorts of symptons i have not had before.

I have always thought that all the pain all over was FMS but have often asked my Gp if i could have MPS as well. He just fobbs me off and tells me its only muscle pain. :roll: I am at a loss now to where i turn next as another Gp referred me back to a Rheumatologist a few weeks ago as she was concerned at the amount of pain i was in. Well after getting back from my Gp's this morning i had a phone call from my Gp's to say they have had a fax through and i am not in the correct catorgory whatever that means to see a Rheumy and have been referred to the pain clinic!!!!!!!!!!!. Thing is the Pain clinic gave me Lignocaine infusions last year and i reacted so badly i ended up in hospital two days later. I have since been told that the pain clinic here in Lincoln does not know how to treat FM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now stuck here in limbo as sick and fed up of all this and no-one at my surgery is helping me at all right now.

I have rang the Rheumatology clinic i am so upset over all this to be told i have to go through my Gp. Help any advice now as what i should do.

I just feel like i have been left on the scrap heap now with nowhere to turn.
Take one day at a time. Tomorrow will wait.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Re: Myofacial Pain and FMS (DIFFERENCE)!

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Umm, myofascial pain is common form of muscle pain. :? I'm not quite sure what your GP's point on that one was. It's probably due to the old idea that Fibro caused pain in the muscles and fibres, when Fibro can cause you to feel pain anywhere through central mechanisms. Doesn't mean that specific problems in the muscles shouldn't be treated properly.

It is very hard to get a proper physical examination for myofascial restrictions within the NHS, let alone really good treatment.

Although physios should have some understanding, not many have any training in this speciality as it is all post-graduate training for them. And as the training in myofascial issues is often expensive and time-consuming, most of the physios who get that training, in my experience, are in the private sector. I have yet to find a physio who was trained in advanced myofascial release, only the basic techniques (which are more painful and less long lasting), but any physio should be able to give you stretches and exercises to help correct posture issues and tight muscles, which will help myofascial issues.

Many pain consultants these days will have heard of myofascial pain, but that might be it for their knowledge. A few rehab or sports medicine consultants have taken an interest in this speciality - Prof Davies being one of them - and might be able to identify myofascial trigger points and give medications or trigger point injections. Most GPs will have had zero training in myofascial issues, but if you have a good working relationship with them, perhaps backed up by a decent consultant, GPs can help with medications, such as muscle relaxants and meds to help you get better quality sleep, which will help myofascial issues long-term.

The best physical therapy in this area is often provided by massage therapists. Their knowledge varies enormously as they don't have a prescribed training course like physios do. Some have excellent knowledge of anatomy, muscular science and Fibro; others are very alternative and might tell you nonsense even if they're great at the release techniques.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Julie. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Linz thankyou so much for answering my post and giving such helpful information. I actually found the direct Number after writing this yesterday and rang the Rheumatologist's secretary and after a very helpful and lengthy discussion he has agree to see me in two weeks time. I have had to pay private but for peace of mind right now it has made me feel better knowing i am seeing someone who specializes in FM so will ask about MPS. I was also told i didn't have to go through my Gp !!. Its not what you know its who you know!!

I have also seen so many Physiotherapists over the years and none of them understand how to treat this at all. As i am mostly housebound now its so difficult anyway to go and see anyone but i am hopeful that maybe since i saw this Rheumy two years ago he may now have alot more knowledge about treatment.

Thanks once again and i will keep you informed after the consultation.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Postby fibofog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Julie
can i ask please which Rheumatologist's you are seeing ,are you going to the BMI or seeing him at Lincoln Hospital.
fibofog
UKFM Member

Postby Julie. » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi there i am seeing Dr Kaushik at the BMI.
I was under him a couple of years ago for over a year but he discharged me as i was managing my condition.
Other things are happening now and that's why i am so pleased now i am seeing him again as he specialized in FM and is brilliant.

Hope this helps.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems