Tinnitus

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Tinnitus

Postby deborah123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:55 pm

hi wanda.thankx for the reply,glad im not the only one who's tinnitus gets worse with painkillers.iv actualy never told my doc that the pain killers make it worse as i know lota doctors just shrug u of when it comes to tinnitus as they say theres no cure.iv had them tell me theres no cure 4 it in past...these calms u take..what are they?..are they a painkiller or sleeping tabs?.as wud be interested in trying somthing different..xo thankx,,,deborah
deborah123
UKFM Member

Postby Brimstone » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 am

Lorna07, thanks for all that info. Great! I remember that high pitched TV sound. It used to be really penetrating. They should never have allowed it. But I do wish doctors and others would stop saying things like ‘There is no cure.’ It is very negative and not good bedside manner.

I recently wrote to an FM website about making this exact statement on their site and in their literature. I recommended the statement ‘There is no known cure’ or better still ‘A cure has not yet been found’. A lady replied to thank me and that they are taking my suggestion under advisement. She invited me to register to review their updated literature when it is reprinted in 18 months time.

They are only words I know, but ideas come from words and all of you should be thinking along these lines and not let the b------s grind you down!

FluppyPuffy, I would be interested to know if you saw the film Poltergeist before your Tinnitus started or after, and did you find the film scary or merely a bit of fantasy? I’m trying to get a line on my hypothesis mentioned in a previous posting that the subconscious is ‘borrowing’ a sound from the memory bank that is related to alarm. Also, would you mind telling me when you had your car accident? I assume the damage to your vertebrae was very painful. Did you have some sort of operation to treat it and did you have a general anaesthetic? Hope it's all back to normal now and that you don’t mind the questions.

Are none of you going to try out my proposed treatment of blocking out all smells for several hours? I know that walking around for up to 6 hours with a clothes peg on your nose and breathing through your mouth is not comfortable and I’m not proposing it as a permanent solution, but just to get a line on the cause. Another method might be to use one of those DIY masks for dust and lace it with a natural (not chemical please!) scent like lavender leaves to mask any odours. I’m dubious about this though as tests show that even a few molecules of smell can be detected. Best type is one that has a charcoal filter but not so easy to get hold of.

I’m certain it won’t be the answer in every case but we need to try it out so I can knock the idea on the head, or not.
Last edited by Brimstone on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
brimstone

Boxes make good containers for cereals but not for thinking.
Brimstone
UKFM Member

Postby Brimstone » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 am

Mr.A sorry I didn’t get around to answering your posting before. The truth is I had never heard of Synesthesia before you mentioned it, so thanks for that. Having checked it out now I feel that it’s probably more likely to be the result of genetic mutation when the brain is being formed, if suffered from birth, or the result of some sort of brain cell damage if onset is in later life, not an autoimmune thing, as Tinnitus probably is.

Having said that, I’m sure some cases of Tinnitus are not autoimmune related either. Would that illnesses stayed within set boundaries like good little bunnies, but they are not and it makes getting to the bottom of things all that harder.
brimstone

Brimstone
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Why would the brain pick an 'alarm' noise to translate a smell? Unless it was a dangerous smell... smoke, etc then there's no reason all of us would pick a high pitched whine... it could just as easily be a giggle or a cat or anything... the chances of everyones brain picking the same few noises are pretty slim. And they are all just noises, no talking or barking. Surely a few people would have been scared by dogs when they were young, I know I was. It's the only noise I can remember being scared of as a child so I would have picked barking as my 'brain noise'.

I would say it was far more likely that it's associated with TMJD and there is a problem with the ear itself, which is really close to the jaw joints.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Brimstone wrote:FluppyPuffy, I would be interested to know if you saw the film Poltergeist before your Tinnitus started or after, and did you find the film scary or merely a bit of fantasy? I’m trying to get a line on my hypothesis mentioned in a previous posting that the subconscious is ‘borrowing’ a sound from the memory bank that is related to alarm. Also, would you mind telling me when you had your car accident? I assume the damage to your vertebrae was very painful. Did you have some sort of operation to treat it and did you have a general anaesthetic? Hope it's all back to normal now and that you don’t mind the questions.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Poltergeist over the years, but the first time was well before my tinnitus started. My description of the sound doesn't have anything to do with being scared, I simply use that description as it is such a well known film scene with such a distinctive noise to try and explain as clearly as I can what it is I experience re the sound. I didn't find it scary, but with the numerous horror films I've seen over the years, I've probably become somewhat desensitised. As for the car accident, it happened on 8th December 1993, I was in a car pulling out of a junction that was badly obscured with roadworks and equipment in a city centre. The car was hit by a bus, and bounced about 8-10 foot across the road (car was a write-off). The bus driver made me get out of the car and walk, get on the bus and started demanding info without seeing if I was in need of help or anything. It was only when I started complaining about pain n my neck and right arm did the driver decide to radio for an ambulance. I was admitted to A & E, and after x-rays it was discovered I'd dislodged and fractured C6. I spent a month on skull traction, had a lengthy operation to wire and fuse it to C5 & C6, plus a bone graft with bone being taken from my right hip.I then had 6 months in various rigid collars to keep it stretched and still. As you can guess, it did involve a general anaesthetic and very strong pain relief. It has left me with restricted neck movement, constant pain,and numbness and pins and needles in my right arm and hand. As for it being back to normal, to me this is normal, to others, maybe not :crazy: The tinnitus and balance problems initially manifested in February 2000 when I collapsed and lost consciousness at work and had another A & E trip as my BP was dangerously low. At the time, we'd just moved house, OH had lost his job and I was under increasing pressure from ever-moving performance targets at work. Since then things have got worse, with changing/increasing meds dosages to try and manage things (altho not too well at the moment and due for review), my driving licence has been revoked (November 2000) and I was medically retired by my previous employer (at their suggestion) in August 2001. Hope this gives you something to ruminate on for your hypothesis 8)

There is a helluva lot more stuff I could add to this, but it is very personal and upsetting :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Brimstone » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 am

FluppyPuffy, thanks for that info and also about your accident and your subsequent treatment. Sounds like you’ve been dragged through hell and back! You have certainly been through the characteristic trauma that invariably appears to start the clock ticking on dysfunctions like FM.

Yes, bus drivers can be quite overbearing sometimes. Maybe it’s a necessary trait to deal with all the flak they get from some members of the public. Same as railway staff. And I know what you mean about getting desensitised to horror films. My teenage kids found The Exorcist funny when it was first shown on TV, and it was banned when it came out many years ago because it had such a traumatic effect on some people! Anytime you want to talk about your troubles I will be happy to lend a sympathetic ear.

Gill, it could well be that your own Tinnitus is related to TMJD, especially if you are getting the characteristic clicking sound as well. As I mentioned before, I don’t think all cases of Tinnitus are autoimmune related. It’s just that my special interest here is FM and the autoimmunity dysfunction I believe to be behind it (in most cases). Naturally when someone has both I tend to dismiss physical factors, which appears to be the underlying cause of TMJD and Ménière's disease.

The ‘alarm’ sound is related to my proposition that the subconscious brain is generating it from other sensory input, but in doing so it is converting only that sensory input that it perceives as a threat, as part of the flight or fight mechanism e.g. the smell of formaldehyde not tomato soup. The brain is quite capable of this filtering process. I’m sorry if I didn’t make this clear before.

If I could eliminate this conversion process then I could go on to other possibilities like the alarm being generated independently of sensory input, simply because sounds are our main alarm signals – we don’t have alarm smells or alarm tastes. Furthermore, because it is an ‘artificial’ sound it is unlikely to be complex but just a fairly simply one with few frequencies involved, and almost certainly has to be a sound that is already in the memory bank.

All my propositions are drawn from correlating tangible known facts about how the brain, cell biology and Nature work. I assiduously avoid any conjuring tricks of pulling rabbits out of a hat. That would be highly irresponsible considering I am dealing with the issue of the pain all of you suffer. To assist the process, I do a lot of probing of my own subconscious, trying to fathom its unfathomable depths. I don’t resort to smoking, drink or drugs to do this but sometimes I use sleep deprivation, tiredness, dream interpretation etc. I am free to do this because I spend a lot of time on my own in Spain as I am working on a property renovation project away from domestic distractions. Otherwise I would drive my wife nuts recording dreams at all hours of the night!

Warm wishes
brimstone

Brimstone
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 am

TMJD is an associated illness of FM as are neck problems both of which could be the cause of tinnitus. In fact the majority of FM sufferers have neck problems often quite severe and, while there is no swelling, there can be problems with the muscles which could cause restricted blood flow at times. This could well be the cause of of tinnitus in FM sufferers.

Or it oculd be due to my original, and so far never disproved, theory... we are all being experimented on by aliens in the night and this causes the sleep problems and the pain... tinnitus sufferers are obviously having their ears experimented on. I rest my case, disprove it if you can.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby deborah123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm

lol :clap: .gill :yikes:
deborah123
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:25 pm

gillshutt wrote:Or it oculd be due to my original, and so far never disproved, theory... we are all being experimented on by aliens in the night and this causes the sleep problems and the pain... tinnitus sufferers are obviously having their ears experimented on. I rest my case, disprove it if you can.

I'm with you on this gill, my DS is living proof of aliens leaving replicants to see how we live and cope with them :lol: :crazy: :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mr.A » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 am

When I was younger I used to pronounce it Tintinitus:

Sorry there's no code to make the image smaller and you can't upload images directly, only do links.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 am

Ahhh the Thompson twins and Snowy lol
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Brimstone » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 am

I’m getting reconciled with the view that Tinnitus is due to physical factors, especially because of the reports that the sound is sometimes synchronised with the pulse. I also recall that when I had that mild experience of sound inside my head, it did have a pulse type rhythm and a hissing, ‘pressure being released quality’. So a trapped artery sounds feasible in some cases. The single note, high-pitched sounds also need explaining though. When not electronic, such sounds are normally produced by air being blown under high pressure through a very small opening, like a train whistle. In the labrynth like structure of a mature brain I suppose such an event is not inconceivable.

I have even considered the possibilty that a freak formation inside the head is acting as a sort of radio wave tuner, as some of you have reported that the sound is like a detuned radio. Sounds fantastic I know but there have been cases reported of washing machines acting as radio receivers due to the 'crystal set' effect. Although this isn't high in my list of possibilities, it could easily be tested by putting a Tinnitus sufferer in a Faraday Cage, a device that blocks out all radio waves.

Does pressure cause any change in the sound? Has anyone been on a flight for example and is there any change in the sound when the plane is coming in to land and the pressure changes? My ears always get blocked up during descents and I have to hold my nose and mouth closed and blow hard to clear it. Maybe someone can try that and see what happens. Maybe also next time the sound you’re hearing changes you could check the barometer and try and get a line on that aspect. I wonder if the Tinnitus Society has done any tests in this area.
brimstone

Brimstone
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 am

i was always under the influence that tinnitus is mainly caused by pressure of the ear canal or in the head. it is usually when excess pressure build up in parts of your head and ent that means that the body produces sound in your ear as a way of coping. i often hear my heart beat in my ear and hear like a whoosing sound but was told that this is simply normal and it can be when you hav ebeen rushing around and simply the blood running through your body make sthis ound.

it gets too complicated when you start ti look into it. if it was as easy as something we eat or something weve watched then im sure this would of been found out years ago. and there would be a cure for it by now.

i agree with the theory how do any of us now what causes it. there are many things that people suffer from that we will never now how to treat it or what causes it as we are all different and suffer with conditions in different ways.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 am

http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com/

Just out of interest... take a listen to the sounds on these ultrasonic ringtones. That's very close to the constant noise in my ears 24/7. Other noises come and go but this one is there all the time. One somewhere in the middle. Use headphones to hear them properly.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby deborah123 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 pm

wow iv just listened to them and thats the kina noise i have in mine everyday..mine is like the first ( A ) one..hate it
deborah123
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems