Lupus

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lupus

Postby Ellen Tracey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:40 pm

I have been reading up on Lupus and was wondering how a gp would know if you had it? I have had many blood tests done before i was told i had fibro after seeing rhumy, but the more i read on it the more i am convinced! I had pluerisy 2 yrs ago too and thats when many of my symptoms kicked off worse than they had ever been.

Makes me wonder, but i feel the docs will think im paranoid if i go and suggest it?

What do you think?
Ellen Tracey
UKFM Member

Re: Lupus

Postby fairy dust » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 pm

hi ya, my doctors thought i had lupus also, they can do a blood test to see the levels of inflamation apperently, after my blood tests were clear they said i have fibro,so i think its a hazy line between the both illness's :grouphug:
please bear with me - my brain works fine its the body that lets me down !
fairy dust
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:06 pm

They can do a blood tests... BUT... if you aren't in a lupus flare then it will come back negative :?
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Ellen Tracey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks for your reply's, i do have imflammation when i have bloods done (not mega high) but they say it is due to my arthritis, i guess i will have to go along and ask to clear my mind. It was the pluerisy thing that struck a note with me and also the white/blue fingertips/toes thing, although ive always had this, when i used to swim when i was younger often my lips would be blue :roll: ??? too much knowledge is not always a good thing me thinks, whats that saying..... ignorance is bliss :mrgreen:

x
Ellen Tracey
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 pm

The blood tests they use to look for Lupus include ANA, CRP & ESR (both inflammation) and RF. They may be positive with Lupus, but do not have to be. They can be positive even if you're not in a flare if you have Lupus, but can also be negative even if you have Lupus.

There are 11 possible diagnostic criteria for SLE. If you have 4, then Lupus is likely but you can have it with fewer criteria:
http://www.medicinenet.com/systemic_lupus/page3.htm
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems