Feeling ill and not convinced it is all fm...

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Feeling ill and not convinced it is all fm...

Postby hezher » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I've been feeling continually ill with one thing after another for months now, probably started low level around October but has been much worse since a major flare up in jan. I've had fm for over 3 years now but never symptoms like this...

Firstly I've been coming down with one virus after another, sore throats, colds, vomitting bug... Never used to get ill from viruses and bugs much at all even with fm, but the last few months have been awful. Then after throwing up dramatically a few weeks ago (only the second time in the last 20 years, at which point I was 4!) I've felt nauseous after meals, bloated (or possibly just fat from craving food the whole time), dizzy, had the room spinning on a couple of occasions, nearly fainted when standing up on a fairly regular basis, had the odd moment of bizarre flushed appearance where I felt bad and my skin flushed with bright red spots that quickly faded again, had times where it feels as if my sight is disappearing from the peripheries inwards... On top of general fm-ness of course!

It's now affecting my work, had to have someone else teaching my class today whilst I watched coz my boss wouldn't let me take time off sick but realised I've not been coping with my class the last week or so because I feel so sick at times. My boss is also sending me to my gp, but last time I saw him he gave me pills thaty made me feel so nauseous I coukdn't concentrate and only wanted to deal with the sore throat I had then; the time before was during my huge, scary flare up and he decided I was depressed (a few things had happened at home that meant I was on the verge of tears and probably caused the flare up) so he refused to treat me because I obviously needed counselling. So I'm worried he won't take me seiously, but it's over 2 months later and my physical symptoms are worse whilst the only thing depressing me now is how ill I feel!

Sorry for the huge long post... Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it could all be fm related or whether there might be something else going on as well? I'm going to see my gp tomorrow, but don't know what I'll do if he just writes it off as "depression" or fm or "coincidence" again...
Same same, but different.
hezher
UKFM Member

Re: Feeling ill and not convinced it is all fm...

Postby Min » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:37 am

These are not the symptoms of depression. have you been tested for Coeliac disease? I understand it is often missed. Ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist, don't be fobbed off with counselling or antidepressants when there's obviously something physically wrong.
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Postby hezher » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 am

Thanks for your reply :-)

I am a coeliac, got diagnosed whilst they were trying to work out what my fm was and running every blood test they could think of. It was a shock diagnosis as the only symptom I'd ever had was anemia, never had stomach problems at all. I've been fairly good recently, guess the vomiting episode could be down to eating wheat as I was being catered for at a centre when it happened, but the chef assured me that everything was gluten free and seemed pretty clued up on how to cater for me so I'm not convinced! Plus over the summer I ate gluten whilst travelling normally without side-effects and only occasionally with nausea if I was suffering e.g. mild dehydration at the time too,

Ah well, off to the doctor shortly so we'll see how it goes!
hezher
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:28 am

Good luck at the Doc`s.
Hope he can help. Ask for some anti sickness meds. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby petlover » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi. My instinctive reaction was immediately - anaemia. I had a blood transfusion in January of 2 units. My symptoms were nausea, with occasional episodes of extreme vomiting with no warning, dizziness, room spinning even when lying down, hot sweats and feeling faint quite regularly. Much like you, but you say you've already suffered from anaemia, so you would recognise the symptoms. Maybe if it is anaemia, this is a more pronounced episode? My fm symptoms were made much worse, extreme fatigue to the point of breathlessness, lethargy and so much pain, but after I had the transfusion, I realised how much worse the anaemia was making me. I hope the GP sorts your problem; it may be worth mentioning that you've had anaemia before if it was a long time ago. Hope you feel better soon. :wave:
petlover
UKFM Member

Postby hezher » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks guys :-)

My doctor thought that I had sudden drops in blood pressure, so he took my blood pressure and found it normal and thus decided it couldn't be that (slight logical flaw there...). So I'm going on Monday to repeat every blood test he can think of just to see what the problem is.

Lots of people have suggested anemia, however I take iron tablets every night so not sure what's causing it if it is... :-S

Sigh, will just have to wait and see now and hope I manage not to fall over in front of the kids at school next week!
hezher
UKFM Member

Postby petlover » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:35 pm

I had my transfusion at the beginning of January and I'm now taking 3 ferrous fumarate capsules a day. (equivalent to 100mg elemental iron per capsule). The gp and consultant have no idea why I became so anaemic (iron level was 4 and haemoglobin was 6.9). I felt so much better after the transfusion, but have recently been feeling rough again, nauseous, dizzy, faint, and this is with 3 tablets per day. Still waiting for other tests which can't be done until my haemoglobin levels go up. Bit of a vicious circle. But the point i'm trying to get to is that you still may anaemic even taking iron tablets. Hope everything goes ok with the blood tests; let us know how you get on.
petlover
UKFM Member

Postby hezher » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks again for your replies :-) Went back to the dr this morning and all my bloods were normal, so he's diagnosed me with labyrinthitis (inflamed inner ear canals) and given me some anti-dizziness meds (common side effect: low blood pressure, may lead to dizziness) in the hope that it'll go away in a couple of weeks. So keeping my fingers crossed; just wish I didn't keep picking up bugs and viruses the whole time...
hezher
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems