Acid

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Acid

Postby joanypops » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi peeps i havent been on for a while but still follow posts. I would really appreciate some advice. Over the last few months i have been suffering with terrible acid Gaviscon usually sorts it but lately when i have acid i have a pain in the middle of my stmach and slightly under my rib. I only get it after food.Its very uncomfortable. Does anyone else suffer this or anything like it before i go bothering my GP again. Thanks :wink:
joanypops
UKFM Member

Re: Acid

Postby budda » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi Joanypops, I also suffer from acid in my tummy, I went to my GP and he gave me Ranitidine, I can not do without it, It works for me. Hope this helps you.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 pm

very possibly related to taking other medication - see the doctor they can help
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby joanypops » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Aw thankyou looks like my poor GP ( shes brill) is going to get a visit GRRR :yikes:
joanypops
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 pm

I was having bad acid reflux, my GP started me on Omerazole, i have to take them everyday, i only get it now and again.
Ask your GP to put you on a reflux med.
Hope it eases soon.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Brimstone » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 am

If the pain is under your breastbone and comes on after eating then it could be a peptic ulcer starting up and you should definitely see your doctor. Ulcers are caused by acid attack on the stomach lining when the protective mucous layer is depleted, which can happen with some types of meds, especially if taken over a long period, but there are other causes also.

They have tests that can confirm an ulcer and obviously the sooner it is treated the better, as it is easily treatable. My father had one 20 years ago and they had a treatment then that sorted him out in no time so I’m sure they can do even better now.
brimstone

Boxes make good containers for cereals but not for thinking.
Brimstone
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 pm

It does sound like an ulcer... may well be one of the kind that a big dose of anti-biotics can sort (can't remember what it's called but I had one and it was sorted) a blood test will tell if it is or not. I would go see your gp asap and don't take any meds which will aggravate it like anti inflams until you have the ok :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby johnoni » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi. suffer from the same symptoms as yourself. Doctor has prescribed me Nexium which is an acid inhibitor. May be worth asking your GP about it. Have found also if I cut out certain food stuffs, it also helps.
johnoni
UKFM Newbie

Postby joanypops » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies it really helped, its so nice to know there is always someone to help. I have stopped drinking coffee which i love and it has eased considerably but is still hovering in the background. I rang my GP this morning and got an appt for next week. I will let you know how i get on. Thanks again my fibro friends :grouphug:
joanypops
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

i have a close family member who is diabectic an dgets really bad relfux indegestion and heart burn attacks. nearly all day everyday they hav ethis burps and heartburn. ever meal they get burps evenv if they hav ea drink. they hav ebeen put on the omezaprole tablets and have had it upped in dosgae which has helped.
they have been tested for an ulcer but nothing. so it does show that you can have this reflux without it nessacerily being an ulcer. so please make sur eyou get checked by gp. for answers either way.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby little_mima » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:35 am

hey hey,
yup, acid reflux, ulcer and all that sort of stuff. Antibiotics only work if the ulcer is caused by the bacteria Heliobacter pylori. Otherwise it's antacids. I've got acid and biliary reflux, taken well over a year to diagnose, but only the acid one can be treated with antacids. The biliary one is a 'learn how to live with it' things :roll: :banghead:
little_mima
UKFM Member

Postby dogtired » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Manuka honey (strength 15 or20) should help ....excellent antibiotic. Bananas are good soothers for the stomach.....you need a decent dx...eat lots of alkaline foods and good luck :)
dogtired
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:34 am

For some reason I was thinking about a completely different kind of acid :dunno:
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby joanypops » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 pm

Oooh you are naughty lol. I like your way of thinking :crazy:
joanypops
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems