Plese Help...

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Plese Help...

Postby mischief » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:31 pm

I haven't been on for a while because of my 'ups & downs'

Can some one tell me if Fibro can be connected to Asthma?

I started with severe fatigue 5 yrs ago and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid, then coschondritis, then osteoarthritis affecting my ankles, Vitamin B12 deficiency and finally a culmination in November and a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and CFS at the begining of this year which I can't shake off.

I now have a wheeze, dry cough, very painful chest and am on steroid and ventolyn inhalers and tablets to combat allergies and my GP says I have Asthma!

I feel awful - I can't believe I have become like a hypochondriac - I have always been reasonably healthy.

Am I alone or is there anyone else who has the same symptoms or can explain why I am going from one thing to the next..

Sorry to go on but I really need some kind of answers/reassurance.
mischief
UKFM Member

Re: Plese Help...

Postby velvet » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm

i had asthma way before fibro.

if you are struggling with the chest and cough thing try either lots of house plants or a humidifier machine - dry air is hell on asthma it does make everything worse and either of those will help this.

try and avoid severe changes in temperature - warm house to cold outside is the worst.

learn to breath one such technique is - http://www.btinternet.com/~andrew.murph ... thing.html but there are others - i actually accidentally taught myself similar as a child as my grandparents had a swimming pool. it does sound silly as everyone thinks you dont need to learn to breathe but actually you do - i can actually cope with a mild attack without my inhalers just by breathing - but it takes longer. however learning to breathe when not having an attack can make a big difference to number and severity of attacks.

if you can afford it try aromatherapy, if a local college teaches it you can get treated for very little money - i had a mate doing their diploma who treated me as part of the course and it made a big difference - he also did a child with severe asthma at the same time and again the child showed big improvement. OK it isnt going to cure it and should not be used as an alternative to the doctors but used along side can make a big difference.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby mischief » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Thank you Velvet this has been helpful :D
I have been "rough" for a few days but am feeling better again tonight :wink:
mischief
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 am

hi i too have ha dasthma since i was around 12. im 30 now. however my asthma is brought on by allergies to dust mites , smoke, strong perfume etc . some foods. but also stress.

if i am extremely stressed or such . am example my father got taken in to hospital and i ended up having an asthma attack an dnearly ended up in the bed near dad.

so maybe you rfibro if it has caused you to become stress may have cause you to hav esome probelms with the asthma as i too have found if im in a bad flare of fibro and stressed it doesnt help me and have to tak emy inhalers.

i find that i hav eone of those steam inhalers. like a face mask that you put boiling water in below and the you put your face in to the mask and breathe. it clears the airways an di find that helps.

also if you get a n attack try sitting up in bed with plenty of pillows and not laying flat. i also use eucalyptus crystals in hot water to clear the sinuses. and also if you take a hot bath close the door and let the steam in th eroom from the water.

thry not to get too hotr and if you go out in winter make sure you cover your mouth with a scarf as this stops the cold air affecting your throat and airways. the same if you go out in the inwd.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby mischief » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Have either of you guys got or ever used a steam cleaner? I was thinkning about getting one ( very mucky CREAM carpet) and now I feel it might also help my chest?

I am going for a chest X-Ray on Monday - I 'm so grateful to have a concerned and caring GP :D
mischief
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems