MUPS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MUPS

Postby Brimstone » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:14 am

While doing some research I came across this snippet in Wikipedia that might be of interest.

It seems the term Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS) or Medically Unexplained Syndromes (MUS) is used for patient symptoms that can’t be attributed to any known medical cause.

This diagnosis usually leads to patients resenting the implication that “it’s all in your head” and doesn’t help the doctor-patient relationship, which in turn can lead to distress and further complications.

To quote Wikipedia: ‘A 2008 review in the British Medical Journal stated that a doctor must be careful not to tell a patient that nothing is wrong, "as clearly this is not the case." The symptoms that brought the patient to the doctor are real, even when the cause is not known. The doctor should try to explain the symptoms, avoid blaming the patient for them, and work with the patient to develop a symptom management plan.’

Judging by the experiences some of you have had, it would appear that not all doctors read that review!
brimstone

Boxes make good containers for cereals but not for thinking.
Brimstone
UKFM Member

Re: MUPS

Postby velvet » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 am

and there was me expecting a picture of a baby cross between a monkey and a dog :(
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 am

Right, there's a guy called Prof Malcolm Hooper who mentions MUPS (Multiple Unexplained Persistent Symptoms) in a video seriess you can see for free here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UpLuXFXJCc

I know it says "M.E." but he includes fibromyalgia, I can't remember at which part he mentions MUPS in any case I highly recommend everyone here views the entire series.
Last edited by Mr.A on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

See, when I read that quote (and maybe I am being paranoid) what seems to leap out at me is 'be careful what you say, they probably are crazy but you can't let them know you think that'.

Am I being paranoid??????
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:18 pm

tireesix wrote:Am I being paranoid??????

If by that you mean, do the doctors think the FMS/CFS patients are crazy but don't want to admit that to the patient, then no you're not being paranoid at all.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems