Swelling of the legs

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Swelling of the legs

Postby junebenton07 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 am

Hi there whoever reads this,
I,ve had fibro for about ten years now, and i.ve just started to notice that my right leg has started to swell. I do have significant right-sided weakness but i don,t think it could have anything to do with that, or could i be wrong?.
Does anyone else suffer with this problem, i do have the feeling of swollen hands and feet, but they are not, they just feel like it. My leg is numb, but that maybe due to the large prolapsed disc, but my leg is definately swollen!
Any idea,s guys or suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated, beginning to worry me abit now
June :needhug:
junebenton07
UKFM Member

Re: Swelling of the legs

Postby budda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 am

Hi June, I have swelling on both legs, if i walk to far they both swell, if i sit to long my legs get numb :roll: can't win, but if you are worried about this, its best you go and speak to your GP. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:20 am

I do get swelling on my ankles in the summer.

My feet and toes get numb and hurt along with it, the skin feels so tight.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby smiler22 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 am

i get really swelled up ankles if i walk that little bit too far which isnt far. or if i sit in my wheelchair for too long. when sitting at home i try to sit with my feet up. on a chair if poss.

one little tip they used to tell us at the nursing home. i you press onto your skin with your thumb then release (take your thumb away) if the skin stays white and indentated it usually can mean that you have fluid retention. It should naturally go back to pink striaght away for normal colour. it may be possible that you need a course of water tablets to help reduce any water retention.

if you find swelling in one area like a lumpy area of swelling and it is hot to touch, or has redness that can look like it is on fire. it can mean that you may have dvt, or cellulitus (blood poisoning) which can get in by a scratch or insect bite etc.

so what i am saying is it may be better to get it checked. by your gp.

any swelling like this is best checked for you own piece of mind.... your gp is not gonna mind you asking to be seen.im sure.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby junebenton07 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,
Thankyou for your input, think i will go to GP, probably just water retention like you said but i will get it checked.
Sometimes i think to myself what is going to creep up on us next to add to our problems, do any of you ever feel like this?
Best wishes to all :grouphug: June xx
junebenton07
UKFM Member

Postby lizfin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:38 pm

hi janebenton, my right leg swells up also ive had test after test for it been sent here there and everywhere ( im sure they think its my weight :cry: ) but my leg like yours feels like its dead no feeling in it, i get so fed up with it cos i cannie walk the lenghth of myself, ive got the pain clinic on the 28th so heres hoping they do something this time(been like this for 2half yrs) :needhug: :(
lizfin
UKFM Member

Postby junebenton07 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi lizfin,
hope everything goes well at the clinic for you and you find out what is wrong, have to let me know how you get on,
Best of luck & best wishes,
June :hugs: :needhug: too
junebenton07
UKFM Member

Postby Tommygirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi, I "ve been getting alot of swelling in my lower legs for quite sometime.When I asked my GP about it, she very insensitively told me there was nothing wrong and that I had fat legs... :yikes: They do feel numb too sometimes, especially if I get straight into a hot bath, odd feeling really..
I also get wrist swelling too, TBH and fed up telling my GP about it....I wonder what she"ll say when I go to see her with a diagnosis of FM? :lol:
Best thing to do is sit with your feet up on a stool , or at least level with your heart, ans avoid tight clothing.
Tommygirl
UKFM Member

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:51 pm

I also am getting swollen lower legs this year; blood pressure medication can cause this. However, if it's only one leg I should get your GP to check it out in case it's DVT.

Ju.x :wave:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:48 am

Sorry, never put on my last post, the swelling on my legs, is osteoarthritis of the knees.
budda
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems