Does anyone else bruise easily, is it connected to FM?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does anyone else bruise easily, is it connected to FM?

Postby kate-shipley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone else bruises easily? i can get out of bed and suddenly have bruises and no idea where they have come from.

Do you think it's connected to FM?

love and gentle hugs Kate xx
kate-shipley
UKFM Newbie

Re: Does anyone else bruise easily, is it connected to FM?

Postby denys » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Kate I've always bruised easily but I don't think its connected to Fibro? :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:18 am

No it's no FM but could be related to one of the meds you take.. check out the info that comes with them. I would mention it to your gp as it could be something else and needs to be investigated, especially if you are getting bruises without having injured yourself at all. :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

Are you hypermobile? If so, it may be a sign of possible EDS. Definitely talk to your doc about it.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby fibrofighter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:09 pm

hi
i bruise easy too, just thought it was one of them things :lol: . Howver i have noticed when i am on my feet for a while the outer side of the top of my feet goes red and then bruises :? . Anyone else had this??
:dunno:
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:19 am

Do you have Dysautonomia? Blood pooling in the legs on standing is common with that.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby fibrofighter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:59 am

I have never heard of that tbh :? Maybe, i seem to suffer every illness available :lol:
xx
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyRose » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi, I bruise very easily too, dont think its anything to do with fm though. Am currently having tests at the haemophillia clinic for low platelets. Do mention it to the gp though, and definitely to rheumy. Sometimes its nothing, just the way you are, but best to get it looked at, take care :wave:
LibbyRose
LibbyRose
UKFM Member

Postby fibrofighter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi Libby
i would ask Rheumy but was only diagnosed 3 months ago and my doc still avoiding referring me to either Rheumy or neuro :x . He has referred me to skeletomuscular team or something. However the skeleto team is ran at my docs and so my dad said the doc reffering me there because then the trust will pay for meds and doc wont have to pay a referral fee, but if he sends me Rheumy at hospital altho they will fund meds, the gp surgery will have to pay referral fee. Im not happy!! I have been to the skeleto team before many years ago and it didnt help, but what can you do when all your doc cares about is saving money :cry:
Kaz x
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby Amy Lou Lou » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

I bruise very easy I can wake up with new bruises even when sleeping in a bed alone without my partner! I wake up with small bruises on my body!

I was diagnosed with hypermobility at the same time as fibromyalgia. I have always bruised very easy though. Rhemy said that my active lifestyle kept my hypermobility symptons at bay as I was very atheltic until i really injured my knee then stopped completly!

Was amazing really as he diagnosed me with hypermobility by looking at a scar on my knee even before he examined me fully. As hypermobile people have extra cologan in their body their scans heal a lot bigger than normal people!

Another problem with me is walking into things I know they are there but I always misjudge them when walking around! I end up with nasty bruises within a few minutes and the pain makes me feel like crying.

Amy x
Amy Lou Lou
UKFM Newbie

Postby tireesix » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Its not extra collagen, weak collagen, some with hypermobility get keloid scars, others get paper thin scarring (with the Ehler Danlos I get very thin scars and stretch marks that split open if I am not careful).

I bruise super easily and it takes ages for the bruises to go away, I have had a couple of big ones on my legs for about a month now. I bleed like a good'un as well, veins are quite visible so nurses love me for taking blood and it also takes me twice as long to heal as normal people (kinda, if I break a bone, I need to be in plaster at least 2 weeks longer than others etc).
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyRose » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Kaz, I cant believe your gp hasnt referrred you!!! isnt it about the patients welfare and not the fees? Is there another gp in the practice you could see? While you are waiting for the other referrral you could be seen even by the specialoist nurses. I hope you are ok with the bruising obviously, but it still needs to be sorted out. I know they never rush, I was seen at haemophillia originally before Christmas and then again in Feb, next appt for results is June, but at least I was seen!! its just unbelievable, did they do any blood tests at the surgery/local hospital?
LibbyRose
LibbyRose
UKFM Member

Postby fibrofighter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 pm

hi
Well i had numerous MRI scans and x rays for the past 11 years all showing nothing but abnormal wear and tear in my muscles. Also had tons of blood tests over the years, all fine!! then 3 months ago he checked the pressure points for FM and i had most of them so he said he thought it was FM but he would do blood tests again just to rule out other illness. So he did these and they all came back fine, so he said yes its FM and put me on Pregabalin and Amitriptyline. I asked about being referred and he said thats was not neccesary just keep taking the tablets :cry: . I nagged so he said ok ill send you to the skeletomuscular team at our surgery if your that bothered. I said people on here say they go Neuro or Rheumy and he said, not everone with FM goes!! sick of arguing with him now :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kaz xx
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Kaz, I am so sorry that your gp is an a***, how can he say not everyone is sent to the rheumy or neuro. How can he decide who gets sent and who doesnt? I have no idea where you go from here, its totally unbelievable that you are expected to just go on without seeing a consultant, what use is the musculoskeletal goiing to be? I hope someone knows what steps you can take to get proper treatment. :hugs:
LibbyRose
LibbyRose
UKFM Member

Postby fibrofighter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi Libby :wave:
The skeletomuscular team is basically a pain management team, so they try and teach me ways of dealing with the pain, had it before and its a bit rubbish tbh :lol: Told the Doc i am very unhappy because i fought for many years to control my severe depression and anxiety disorder and ended up pushing myself from not being able to move from my home and unable to do the most basic of things to studying and completing a degree in Forensic Psychology which i love, but now the FM has stalled my process as the stresses of my masters course caused a major flare up which lead to my diagnosis. Kind of devastating to come so far and then get yet another knock, if you know what i mean. Ah well, i will just have to keep battling i suppose :roll:
Kaz xx :hugs:
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems