go to A&E or not

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

go to A&E or not

Postby angeladurkin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:57 pm

hi i was just wondering if any body has been taken to hospital during a flare up during a recent flare up my sister wanted to ring an ambulance for me but i didnt think they would take me serious and dont know what else they could do that i was not already doing, eg taking my meds and staying in bed in a awake coma state.
angeladurkin
UKFM Newbie

Re: go to A&E or not

Postby Elsbeth » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 am

I personally have only been to A&E if I have a fall, because unless your meds aren't having any impact on your pain there isn't much they can do really.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:39 am

I've been a few times oer the last efw years, mainly because I've phoned NHS Direct and they keep thinking I've had a stroke or am in the middle of a heart attack. I did once go about pain and they upped my tablets for me but said there was nothing else they could do and go away... I only got help with the tablets because I broke down in tears and th eguy felt sorry for me :?
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:22 am

If you have severe chest pain, severe abdominal pain or are struggling to breathe or have symptoms suggestive of stroke, heart attack, meningitis, etc, it is ALWAYS better to get checked out even if its a bore when they say its nothing.

For Fibro pain, there may be little that A&E can do as opiates (which they would use for pain relief) don't work great for Fibro. If you're having muscle spasms, they can give you an injection of muscle relaxants - but so could a GP that came to your house.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems