Headaches HELP

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Headaches HELP

Postby fibrofighter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi
I was just wondering if others with FM ever suffer from extremly painful headaches. The headaches seem to stem from the muscles in my shoulders and neck. I had one yesterday and it feels as if someone is trying to squeeze my skull and my eyes hurt too. I took 75mg of Amitriptyline in the hope that it would knock me out but the pain was so bad i just lay there in a zoned out state crying from the pain. It seems when i get one nothing can get rid of it and altho it makes me desperate to just go to sleep i cannot :banghead: . Just wondering if this is a common effect of FM?? I suffer migraines sometimes anyway but as silly as this sounds these headaches feel different to a migraine and more painful :cry:
:needhug:
Kaz xx
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Re: Headaches HELP

Postby velvet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:47 pm

i have had headaches since fibro has been a problem that i have pinned down to sinus problems - which i didnt have before. i can take big wack pain killers on these headaches and it has no effect - but a normal sinus relief tablet works a treat - just be careful if the sinus relief has paracetamol in it or just the decongestant, and its best to check with your GP as the decongestant can work with amitriptyline to make side effects worse
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Pm Shaz the mod - she suffers badly with migraines.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi
I was getting migraines lasting up to 5 or 6 days at a time then having a few days break before they appeared again.
I was being sick and just could not get rid of them.
My GP tried so many different meds but nothing would clear them.

I was referred back to the neuro team at the hospital, they to tried a couple of things that did not work,Then they tried me on gabapentin, after about 3 weeks i started to feel better, i was still having headaches but the were nothing like before. The neuro doc told me to keep increasing the gabbas as the headaches were still migraines but just milder.

I do get the odd migraine and still have the headaches but they have worked for me.

Ask you GP to send you to the neuro team if they dont clear as there are a few things they can try out on you.

Have you tried a tens machine? they help most people.

Hope your pain eases soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibrofighter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 am

Hi Shaz
Thanks for your help. My doc wont refer me to Neuro for some reason, money i think :cry: . I shall have to do something as these headaches are causing havoc.
:hugs: Kaz xx
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi
There is a prevention med you could ask your GP about, sorry i cant remember the name but you take it every day to stop the headaches/migraines returning.
If your GP has run out of ideas of what med to try next then push him to send you to the neuro team. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibofog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi
I have suffered terrible headaches for years,finaly at the beginning of the year i was given Pizotifen to take every day to stop headaches and ALMOGRAN if one should break through.They both work very well.
Last edited by fibofog on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fibofog
UKFM Member

Postby lethargic » Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I do sympathise as I would say this is up there with one of the worst effects of fibro for me. Sometimes so bad can't turn my head or even lie down and on two occasions my sight did actually go altogether for a few seconds (normally I just get blurred vision) I don't know how accessible your G.P. is (mine are dreadful) but I was in so much pain and discomfort about five weeks ago I turned up at my G.P. surgery without an appointment and demanded to see someone. I was lucky that a doctor had heard my plea !! and said she would see me if I waited. I have never had blood pressure problems before (or as far as I know!) and she was alarmed at how high it was. I got three apts. within two weeks to monitor it and then put on medication. She says that was where my headaches were coming from but :banghead: :banghead: I know the bloodpressure was high because of the stress of being in so much pain from my shoulders, neck and head - its a vicious circle. I take 3 amitriptyline at night which does help with sleep but then feel absolutely dreadful the next morning - my mouth, nose and eyes are so dry I don't know if its worth taking :dunno: Do you use heat bag around your neck and shoulders when they are bad - miniscule help !! also have neck pillow which wouldn't be without. Wish I had a magic wand for us all. Hugs from me to you - try and stay stress free !!!!!!! :grouphug: :blowkiss:
lethargic
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Myofascial tension in the neck and shoulders is a common issue for Fibromites and can causes horrible headaches. It usually requires a different treatment approach to FIbro itself - massage, injections, muscle relaxants - and physio.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 pm

i get some really bad heads and migraines. however i take pitzofen 1.5mg every night which does help. howeever i am getting some really bad headaches at the moment which i think is to do with the gabapentin im on. im on 900 mg at the momemnt. so i am having a word with my pain clinic nurse when i go next. to see what they suggest.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby fibrofighter » Mon May 03, 2010 9:29 pm

hi all
Thanks for your replys :D nice to talk to people who understand!! Going to the docs next week about the headaches, actually went to A&E with one once but to no avail. I think my BP prob rises too when i have one as i got all woozy and have hot flushes. Had one other week and honestly said to my other half that i wanted to bang my head against the wall :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . I know what people mean when they say everywhere you put ur head hurts, i cant lie down i cant stand, i tend to sit with my head in my hands rocking back and forth just to take my mind off the pain :lol: granted it isnt very effective but as i cant stand noise i cant talk and just sitting there thinking about the pain is terrible isnt it . As much pain as fibro gives me i would put up with a bad day every day than have one of the headaches!!
:grouphug: <<< as i think we all need one :lol:
Kaz xx
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby lethargic » Tue May 04, 2010 2:07 pm

:grouphug: :grouphug: totally understand and agree. :blowkiss:
lethargic
UKFM Member

Postby Paulus1962 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 am

I also get terrible headaches and have found that the Tramodol I take for FM makes them worse a thousand fold. As has already been said, I would rather the pain of FM than the headaches, so have stopped taking the Tramadol. Off to the doctors to try something else.
You can find my blog at http://paul-peacock.blogspot.co.uk/
Paulus1962
UKFM Member

Postby fibrofighter » Fri May 21, 2010 10:06 am

Hi Paulus
Hope you get somewhere at Docs, the headaches are horrific and i find as soon as my neck muscles start hurting i start panicking that a headache is coming on :yikes: . Good luck :D

Kaz xx
fibrofighter
UKFM Member

Postby ajay » Thu May 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi
I too suffer from horrific headaches - have done for a couple of years now - the doc prescribed naramig(spelling :oops: ) for migraines as he said that's what they are - however even after taking one of these it can still take a couple of hours to go :cry:
ajay
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems