costochondritis

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

costochondritis

Postby carolnotts » Mon May 03, 2010 11:30 am

does anyone else suffer from this?? i was diagnosed with costo before i was diagnosed with Fibro xx
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Re: costochondritis

Postby shazq » Mon May 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Carol
I dont suffer with it but know there a are few on here that do, i am sure they will reply to you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lethargic » Mon May 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I have dreadful chest pain mostly at night when lying down, however, sometimes during the day I get sharp pain which feels almost as if its coming from my heart muscle. I also can't bear anyone giving me a hug - my whole ribcage hurts. I did have an ECG last year which was o.k. and then a fundoplication for GERD as that was thought to be part of the problem. Having gone through that op. I am afraid its no better at all; so just waiting to see consultant in June 2010. Haven't been diagnosed with costochondritis but having read up on it - it sounds just like me - only thing is it says it gets better after a while, especially after antibiotics and I have had this for over three years now and have had a couple of courses of antibiotics which have done nothing at all. I would be interested to know how long you have had problems with costo. I am sure its just another "hanger on" for us fibros. :banghead: :hugs: :hugs:
lethargic
UKFM Member

Postby carolnotts » Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi lethargic i have been for four ECG's, a chest x-ray,blood tests,stress test but all came back ok. It was only in November after i took a massive panic attack in Nottingham city centre and paramedics were called that i was diagnosed with costo. I have gone through hell for years with it though and ended up in A&E on numerous occasions because i thought i was having a heart attack as it mimics this. I have had antibiotics but nothing works i have even been for CBT but now i know that it is costo and what it is i don't panic quite as much as i used to. One of the classic symptoms of costo is being unable to wear and underwire bra...i know it sounds mad but it is true!! Have a look at this link it is really good

http://costohope.blogspot.com/

soft hugs :hugs:
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Postby lethargic » Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for letting me know full circumstances - I totally understand what you mean and especially about the bra. I've tried sports bra but find they have big tight elastic around bottom of bra which is even more uncomfortable. M & S do a comfy one without wire (although I know its not a good fit cos I get a larger size so its not tight). I too don't panic as much as I used too - as I said to my G.P. well at least I know I am not having a heart attack cos I would have been long gone by now its happened so many times !! She just smiled :banghead: It doesn't make your pain and discomfort any better I know, but I have only recently found this site and it certainly does make you see that you are not alone. Big "soft" hugs :grouphug:
lethargic
UKFM Member

Postby lethargic » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm

hi carolnotts - just checked out that site and wow I could tick so many of the boxes - I am seeing neurologist in June for MRI scan results and will definitely print off the list and highlight the ones I can relate to (all of which are in my medical history) so thanks for that info. Of course I do realise we can over google lol but am sick of drs. blaming widespread athritis and although I know that I do have it throughout the spine I have so many other things that don't seem to add up. Had four major ops in four years and nothing any better; so its definitely given me something to think about. Take care and thanks. :blowkiss:
lethargic
UKFM Member

Postby carolnotts » Tue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm glad i could help, that link i gave you is really good i check up on it daily. I have also downloaded a pain sheet which i now need to print off and try so i have a record to take to my doctors with me x
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Postby lethargic » Wed May 05, 2010 11:15 am

Good idea - keep us posted. Good luck :hugs:
lethargic
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 pm

I suffer from costo, the whole of my rib cage is affected and there isn't a day when at least part of it hurts :( Haven't found anything that helps except not wearing a bra and deep breathing exercises when it gets bad as I tend to shallow breath and hyperventilate then get an asthma attack :roll:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby carolnotts » Fri May 07, 2010 9:11 pm

i find stretching helps my costo every time i feel a pain or a bit discomfort i stretch from my waist up and it gives me a bit of relief xx
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems