Masking pain!!!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Masking pain!!!

Postby princess » Fri May 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Seemingly i mask pain.
First i heard this was when i did my neck in last year, fell over the bed post and threw myself onto the bed, cricked my neck and had to go into a collar.
The physio said i cant belive you walked in here, most folk would have been up at A&E. - You must mask pain!!!!????
Then with this bowel carryon the Surgeon said the same.
Are you the same?
Its def not a good thing to mask pain, i wonder if its the tablets, or is it just me?
princess
UKFM Regular

Re: Masking pain!!!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 07, 2010 8:15 pm

I think I must do the same - labour with just a tens machine and gas and air, walking around with a broken neck (altho I was forced to get up and do that by the bus driver that it the car :twisted: ), plus carrying on regardless of the fibro pain :cry:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sat May 08, 2010 5:22 pm

I mask my pain as well, i have a few other health problems and do my best to carry on through the pain, i must admit that recently i seem to be getting worse so i have started to listen to my body. I rest lots more then i used to but i dont like giving in unless i have to.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Sat May 08, 2010 6:02 pm

I wonder if this is because we have such 24/7 pain?
Or if its just us without the ME/Fbiro.
But the serious side of this is that by the time we get to teh Drs with uncontrollable pain, or infection, if you are like me its gone too far to be just a small thing.
But glad im not the only one with this.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I think we do tolerate the pain like you said as we have it with us 24/7.
My surgeon asked me how i was feeling and i said i get used to living with my pain i dont have a choice, his reply was no you dont have to live with the pain thats what we are here for... :dunno: still living in pain.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 am

Pain meds would certainly mask the pain - it's why they can be dangerous if you have an injury as you might not realise it! However, what few doctors understand is that there is a difference between pain threshold (the point at which you feel pain, which is a lot lower if you have Fibro) and pain tolerance (when you whimper, cringe, etc). Many Fibromites build up extremely high pain tolerances - we get quite "tough" about pain, whereas someone unused to pain will cry at far less pain.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks Lindzworld that was put beautifully
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Tinam » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I go to work racked with pain and when the boss or my friends ask how I am I say fine. Even at home I hide it from my husband. I cry a lot when I'm alone and pretend to laugh when with others. Because I hide my pain so well even my doctors wont believe how bad i feel. :needhug:
Tinam
UKFM Newbie

Postby piglet_mini » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:54 pm

LinzWorld wrote:Pain meds would certainly mask the pain - it's why they can be dangerous if you have an injury as you might not realise it! However, what few doctors understand is that there is a difference between pain threshold (the point at which you feel pain, which is a lot lower if you have Fibro) and pain tolerance (when you whimper, cringe, etc). Many Fibromites build up extremely high pain tolerances - we get quite "tough" about pain, whereas someone unused to pain will cry at far less pain.

Told excatly how I would!!!! well put linz
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby kim01 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:02 pm

I had a very bad yesterday :( very fatiqued aching leg muscles shoulders very sore foggy head, in the late arfternoon my son said would you like to go ice skating tonight, cool i'm up for that says I, :D did two hours, was it worth it "yes" would rather suffer than have no life.
I understand those that are in so much pain could not even think about this kind of exercise my heart goes out to you, just hope I don't get to that stage. I tend to do stuff even when I feel like s--t. feeling that way feels kinda normal now.
kim01
UKFM Member

Postby jenn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi, its Jenn :wave:
Sometimes I think Its good that I mask pain, as I would'nt have been able to work as long as I have. Living alone I need to provide for myself. I seem to have a lot of fybromyalgia symptoms, but also osteoarthritis, so when I went to the Dr with hip and groin pain, she said I had full movement! Went back twice more before they took an exray...physio was gob smacked, you've not pulled a ligament , the ball of your hip is right up in the socket and you need a new hip/ I was inly 45. so I think It pays to keep pushing for a diagnosis. [chocolate] is good for cheering up. Shame I can't share it with you all.
jenn
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems