Skin issues and other things......

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Skin issues and other things......

Postby tireesix » Sun May 16, 2010 11:07 am

I am just wondering whether anyone else has the following issues?

PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome)

Greasy spotty skin (is probably more associated with my PCOS, its real bad at the moment)

Ingrowing hairs (nothing seems to work, I have tried lotions and potions and exfoliating etc and if anything, they seem to make the problem worse)

Stupidly weak nails (I have to keep mine cut really short and even then they are for ever really flaky, my childrens nails are super bad, might be more to do with my EDS though)

Thin, crappy hair.

Vulvar vestibulitis/vulvodynia

Blotchy, freezing cold hands and feet

I think thats it.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Re: Skin issues and other things......

Postby shazq » Sun May 16, 2010 5:22 pm

I have thin hair, (that could be down to the meds and feeling low.)
My face has started to get spots, i have never had spots since my teens and then i did not have many.

My nails start to grow then break, they are very weak.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sun May 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Me too I have thin hair that is weak and always coming out in handfuls, my nails constantly split downwards as well as across, so I keep them really short too. I also have more spots than I ever had before, but I thought it was down to the meds didn't think it could be due to anything else
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby wanda » Mon May 17, 2010 10:49 am

I dont take any meds and have lost lots of my hair. Its has always been really thick and full and everyone used to comment on it. This last year i have receded lots and its really thin and breakable. It actually irritates me. I have never hade spots apart from few round my chin when teenager and due on. now i get this every week- not bad just a few but still. it might be all the hot sweats at nights thats doing it .nails, yep break downwards.
wanda
UKFM Member

Postby roxichik » Mon May 17, 2010 11:04 am

Me too.
I was told that my thin hair, dry skin, spots and poor circulation was due to auto immune disease - usually comes with FM or the other way around. I take massive doses of cod liver oil (2000mg per day) and that seems to help a bit. I also had to change shampoo to something a lot more expensive but it really worked a treat.
Anyone else had their hair go curley as a result of this? Mine has gone from poker straight to corkscrew!
roxichik
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon May 17, 2010 4:57 pm

roxichik wrote:Me too.
I was told that my thin hair, dry skin, spots and poor circulation was due to auto immune disease - usually comes with FM or the other way around. I take massive doses of cod liver oil (2000mg per day) and that seems to help a bit. I also had to change shampoo to something a lot more expensive but it really worked a treat.
Anyone else had their hair go curley as a result of this? Mine has gone from poker straight to corkscrew!

No my hair is still straight. I would love it to be curly though, if going out i have to use a hair straightener as where my hair is thin its very straggly.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby helen virgo » Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 pm

I have PCOS and it causes a lot of the things you have mentioned including the greasy skin and hairiness. Mine is treated with Dianette which is a contraceptive pill but is very good for PCOS. You need to see your doctor and discuss treatment as it can be kept under control and you don't have to put up with it :hugs:
Helen x

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia
helen virgo
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 pm

I can't take contraceptives, I react to them. It was one of the reasons I went for having my tubes done and having an ablasion. I used to take metformin which helped but now that I am within a normal weight range they won't let me have them anymore :?
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems