My Doctor's Appointment

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My Doctor's Appointment

Postby KingJim » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi guys, I've been a member here for a while but not ever posted but I really need a little bit of advice as today I had a doctors appointment which has thrown up some stuff I wasn't prepared for.

First of all I am now off to see a neurologist, I had no idea that FMS was being considered a neurological condition in some quarters and so this came as quite a shock. The interesting thing is that the doctor didn't seem to know that either. I went in because (aside from all the pain, lack of proper sleep, etc...) I'm getting an inordinate amount of twitches around my body, I've got a large numb patch of skin above the knee of my right leg, I keep dropping things that require fine motor skills (generally small and delicate things) and I whenever I see something on the floor I am 99% certain I'm going to kick it over unless I concentrate on it. I would NEVER have put these things with FMS and it appears neither did the doctor as I'm going to be tested for hypothyroidism / myxoedema.

I don't know about anybody else but I have always kind of thought, well at least this isn't terminal or anything, it's just muscles and bones, I suppose if it comes down to it they could chop my head off and stick it in a jar (those who've seen Futurama will know what I mean). This kind of changes that view and now I'm thinking all sorts of things, is this a neurological condition that's been missed or is FMS actually a neurological disorder itself? This presents problems, I know nothing about the treatment of neurological conditions and I'm reading that I could be banned from driving if it's considered serious enough and all sorts.

I suppose I'm looking for some comfort from people out there who have similar symptoms and KNOW, 100%, that it's just FMS and everything will be fine - can anybody please help. By the way, the article I read can be found at http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5683264_fib ... order.html

How can anyone fully cope with this, differing information at every turn, doctors that only seem to care about imperical testing and none of these theories, different symptoms depending on the weather, etc... I commend us all and as Dr Pelegrino once said, "Body relaxed, mind amused"
Please, tell me I can't, because you know I will...
KingJim
UKFM Newbie

Re: My Doctor's Appointment

Postby denys » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 am

Hi KingJim,

I have had 3 MRI scans and nerve conduction studies etc. All came back with limited problems which did not explain the pain, muscle twitches and seriously bad tremor in my left hand (parkinsons ruled out) so I would say dont worry too much as all of my oddities have been put down to FM. :crazy:

I cant say 100% that everthing will be fine but my fingers are crossed for you Good luck with your appoinment :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby KingJim » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know how it goes but I've got my blood tests back saying I haven't got hypothyroidism / myxodoema :clap: which is a result, albeit a negative one, I'm looking forward to a positive one :dunno:
KingJim
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Thats good, fingers crossed for the rest :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems