Coping with periods

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Coping with periods

Postby gwenmoon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:21 pm

I didn't used to have my periods . I have the depo injection which stopped them completely. Recently when my time is due I have noticed that I get severe pain and sometimes I get break through bleeding which I never got before. I read that fibromyalgia can cause problems with the menstrual cycle. Does anyone have problems and do you think the problems that I have been experiencing are caused by the fibro. Do you think it is better to continue the depo or will it be worse if I come off it. Not sure what to do. This tends to be at it's worse when I have a flare up at the same time.
gWen :needhug: like today . The whole thing is just quite unbearable.
Having someone to share with gets you through another day :-) Gwen x
gwenmoon
UKFM Member

Re: Coping with periods

Postby denys » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Gwen I've moved your post to associated and other health problems cos I think you may get more hits here :hugs: sorry to hear you are having such a rotten time at the moment I know thinks can become really difficult during a flare.

I dont know much about the depo injection but I think you really need to speak to whoever it is administers it (GP or pratice nurse) just to check things out because its easy to blame fibro for everything when it might be something else that can be fixed.

Hope you feel better soon, take care of yourself :hugs: :hugs: :blowkiss:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby measles » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:53 pm

I don't venture into the other forum and just wanted to say I had dreadful problems until I got a marina coil. Now no periods and no pmt and no problems. Hope things improve soon.
measles
UKFM Member

Postby hazelairedale » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Gwen, I have been having trouble with my periods since last year with them getting steadily more and more painful. My GP has sent me for a pelvic scan as she can feel a few lumpy bits over my left ovary. After that I may have to get a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis. If you go onto an endometriosis website you will see that there is a link between that and fibromyalgia. At first I thought my period pain was due to my underactive thyroid. Its best to get these things checked out anyway. I always thought that periods were meant to be painful but they're not. I'm fortunate that I've found a female GP with an interest in gyneacology.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby kerrie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 pm

I used to get really awful period pains until i was on the pill and now dont get many pains with my periods although as some of you may see from a post i have just made i have now not had any periods which is worrying me!
kerrie
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 pm

i too have problems. i get really constipated and have to take movicol. however t still doesnt always help. so when i get my perod i basically have probelems with my bowel and muscles around that area pressing somewhere on to my sciatic nerves????????? this is the theory even though they havent checked it out. but i get really bad pains in my back hip and down my leg. that i end up in bed for days. and get sickness with it as well. nearly had to call the gp out last time as the pain was making me feel like collapsiong. it was horrible.

i also get my period then say a couple opf weeks later get it again . then go five to six weeks then get it again . etc. so never know for def when im due.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby hazelairedale » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi Smiler22, have you considered endometriosis??? Also causes painful bowel movements, sciatica type symptoms, pain at hip, groin etc. You should have a look at a website. Seemingly the average time for a woman to be diagnosed from initial symptoms is 8 YEARS !!!!! This is because we end up all around the houses so to speak because it also causes bladder problems etc etc so we go from one doctor to the next. I'm due a scan tomorrow then perhaps a laparoscopy as it is the ONLY test to diagnose endometriosis. As I said before, I think we women think that pain and periods go hand in hand but that doesnt have to be the case.

I was doubled up in two last night with a hot water bottle due to the pain of my periods.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby Blondie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi
I was really interested to read this post. I have been having problems with my periods for about 18months now. Basically i am sometimes heavy sometimes light i can go from 3wks to 10 wks being my longest between periods. The problem for me is that when i hit the 4wks point and dont start my period i get really bad pains in the base of my back my legs and hips i also get like cramp pains in my groin, this goes on until i start my period oh and not to metion constant headache. the pains in my legs get so bad sometimes i am in tears and i cannot sit, stand, or lay down. i did wonder if it could be the menapause as i am 43 but reading this was interesting as i suffer from Pa, fibro and ibs.
Any ideas
Michelle
Blondie
UKFM Member

Postby hazelairedale » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I had my pelvic scan on Tues and the radiographer couldnt see anything wrong which he said was good news ! I said it was frustrating as I've been in pain since last year over that area. I had a phone consultation with my GP and she has agreed to refer me for a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis. I dont think she's convinced but I told her I'm at my wits end and was doubled up at the weekend, I mean its the 21st centuary, I shouldnt need to take to my bed when I have a period, thats like the dark ages !!! I was so upset that they couldnt see anything on the ultrasound to justify me pain, I just went home and cried. My partners mum had endometriosis and so did my sister and my symptoms match. Since a laparoscopy is the only certain diagnostic test to check for it I just more or less told the gp what I wanted, think she was just glad to get rid of me off the phone, I'm sure she thinks I'm loopy :dunno:

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Dont worry HAzel, all our docs think we are :crazy: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems