Can u have all the tender points and not have fibromyalgia?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can u have all the tender points and not have fibromyalgia?

Postby moore778899 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi,

I've been suffering from what is aptly known as 'brain fog' for years. It has also been coupled with fatigue and unrefreshing sleep. I have also experienced an onset of anxiety after pushing myself too hard and after one night drinking woke up with extreme anxiety. It has calmed, but not gone away. I've also developed a skin rash.

I've been searching for answers as the docs can't give me any and thought it might be causes by Candidas or an over infestation of demodex mites that naturally occur in the skin - this is because I also have MGD in my eyes that recently developed and 'could' be related to these mites.

Today, after another bout of strange muscle pain, I found an article of Fibromyalgia. I tried all the tender points it mentions and unfortunately, only 2 of the 18 were not tender on a light touch. Obviously I scared myself a little.

Can you have tender points (and I have far more then 16 tender points) on your body, but it not be Fibromyalgia? PS these points have been like that for months of not years. I regually have massage to relieve muscle tightness.

Googled it but couldn't find a another cause for tender points...?

PS - thought the rash might be rosacea, but not reacting to triggers that I am aware of, not going really red anyway.
moore778899
UKFM Newbie

Re: Can u have all the tender points and not have fibromyalgia?

Postby denys » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Fibromyalgia is generally only given as a diagnosis when everything else has been discounted, the tender point test needs to be carried out by someone who knows exactly were to press and so I wouldnt rely on the results of doing it yourself, you may well have FM so if I were you I would print of some of the information you will find on here and make an appointment to see your doc. Shaw them the info and explain why you think this is what you have, then take it from there. Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Can u have all the tender points and not have fibromyalgia?

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:59 am

One of things that most often negates the usefulness of the tender point test is it being done by someone who can't differentiate between tender points (which have nothing to feel) and myofascial trigger points (which can be felt as muscle knots or areas of restriction). If you're having regular massage for tight muscles, that probably indicates a myofascial issue. Myofascial trigger points hurt when pressed, but that's because they are actually a restriction on the muscle. Tender points hurt when pressed because of how pain is processed wrongly by the brain with Fibro, and there is nothing actually wrong with where you have pressed.

Hope that makes sense.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems