RSI type symtoms

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

RSI type symtoms

Postby Withane » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Folks

After 5 months of cutting drugs down I was drug free by start of May and feeling ok, managing symptoms with acupuncture, osteopath and alternative therapies. :D

However I have had what I thought was RSI like symptomns in my left arm/hand/wrist for over two months now and was advised to get it checked with GP as it wasn't responding to any of the alternative therapies. I wondered if I had RSI and it had just been masked by all the pills I had been taking for months, however GP has said he thinks it is just my FM, but I don't buy it!! GP has put me back on Amytryptilene for 4 to 6 weeks, and other than feeling sluggish again, it's not touched the pain or RSI symptoms at all!

It is SO disabling, I keep dropping things, it feels bruised and I can't use my left arm properly, which makes my right arm ache because it's having to compensate!

Sorry for whinging :needhug: but it's tiring to have this on top of all the usual FM suspects!!!? Does anyone else have this?

Thanks all :grouphug:

Anne x
Moving into acceptance about having FM - but that doesn't mean I like it!
Withane
UKFM Member

Re: RSI type symtoms

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi
my first problems started with my forearms. Being right handed my right arm is worse.

I have limited use of my arms and for me it's the most frustrating. I can't come on here when I want and I loved knitting, I was devastated when I gave it up.

At first I thought it was RSI because I was a shorthand typist, but when I was diagnosed with fm I do think it is fm.

I've just stopped ami, wasn't doing anything. I've tried various meds but not touched the pain or the side effects were too horrible to continue.

The only thing I find I get relief with is a tens machine but that's only when it's on.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi , I have terrible pain in my wrists that goes up my arms, my doc said it was from hanging on to things to walk such as other furniture, walls etc. he prescribed ibuprofen gel every 4 hours and it works wonders for me as I was inflaming my wrists so cause y my FM but not part of it if you know what I mean.

Sorry not very fluent tonight, bad day, taking ages to type this :yikes: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi

I also use ibrophen gel maximum strength from gp. After 20 years of fm I've also just started to get chronic pain in my elbows. The doc said I'm tensing my arms because of the pain which is now causing my elbows to be painful. The gel helps my elbows but not my forearms.

I pay this monthly prescription of £10.40 for 10 months for a year of prescriptions. I couldn't afford to buy this gel at £4.99 for 50ml that lasted prob just over a week. Didn't know about this monthly payment until somone told me on this forum about it.

I now can afford to try any med knowing it won't costs me more than £10.40. If you don't pay or have this Prepayment try as much meds as you can.

I hope you find some relief soon

sometimes I do thing I have muscle damage in my arms but at the back of my mind I wonder if it is fm. I suppose I'll never know but at the end of the day there's nothing they can do.

I still struggle with accepting this, I've gone from, like many fm suffers from managing supervisoring an office to well doing nothing. I don't know If I'll ever accept it. I try to be positive and be grateful it's not life threatening, it's only life changing but it's hard. I wonder why did I have to get it, but then I think why did you all have to get it too.

When I was first diagnosed and given a leaflet. It mentioned fatigue and pain. It wasn't till I joined this forum that I realised the foggy brain, inflamation of breast pain, ibs and sensitivity to light, camera and car lights etc were all part of fm.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Myofascial issues are very common with Fibro and these are often (mis)diagnosed as RSi or carpal tunnel syndrome. Though myofascial issues can be brought on by repetitive strain, so it's possible that they are the underlying issue of many cases of RSI anyway.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Withane » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Folks

Thanks for all your replies, it is reassuring to know that I am not alone and that possibly there are activities triggering this pain (like typing, using my arm and stress!) but I also feel sad, disappointed and a tad resentful that this is another thing to accept about FM. :(

I understand what Lorraine says about it feeling unfair, whilst FM isn't life threatening - it is life changing. And whilst the weeks and months keep passing by - living with FM isn't a easy pill to swallow!

Thanks for responding, its REALLY helpful to know I am not alone

xxx
Moving into acceptance about having FM - but that doesn't mean I like it!
Withane
UKFM Member

Postby Joanne C » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:28 pm

i had three weeks off work due to RSI type wrist pain and swelling. didnt work, turns out, after i trialled giving up nightshade plants - potatoes, tomatoes, etc the pain in my wrist went a lot, and the swelling went down drastically. also cut down on sugar.
Joanne C
UKFM Member

Postby Graduate » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:15 am

:wave:

I kow what caused my carpal tunnel. My main problem was lower legs and shoulders, frozen shoulder lasted nearly two years.

My hands worked and I took up loads of handicrafts to keep busy whilst sitting.
Over the last three years I've produced something new nearly every day.

Just been dx with carpal tunnel, bought a splint , gels useless, so are pills, heat, and cold, the only way not to feel pain is to rest it.
Grrrr all that hand has to do is provide grip and its now let me down, I'm so frustrated, I really don't fancy the surgery route but I hate waiting for a flare to ease, it seems to take so long.

I hope you're feeling better soon

Sending big purple :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Be good, take care, see you soon :-)
Graduate
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems