post-exertional malaise

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

post-exertional malaise

Postby Solder_on » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi all

I’m new to the forum, but have been suffering with mild FM for possibly up to 10 years. It was only diagnosed as ‘probably’ FM about 2 years ago, following my constant trips to the docs with yet another inflamed joint/muscle group.

I believe I’m quite lucky in that my pain is managed by a small daily dose of anti-inflammatories, but it doesn’t take much to get a flare-up in my forearms or my Achilles tendons. I’ve also suffered with chronic coccydynia for years, and don’t know if it was the fall that caused this that also triggered my FM, or my early menopause (late 30’s – now approaching 50 in a couple of weeks). Without the anti-inflamms I just seem to ache all over, especially hips, back, achilles, wrists, forearms, neck. I also get occasional allodynia in my temple area, and stiff muscles on getting up in the morning (I won't say waking, because you need to get some sleep to wake up from don't you?) The list is endless - you all have FM so you know...

Anyway, I’d like to know if there is anything behind the idea that migraines may be triggered by exercise. I know I am very lucky to still be able to play badminton on a Monday & Tuesday evenings (after a double-dose of anti-inflamms & plastered in deep heat and/or wearing neoprene supports)

I can almost guarantee that I will have a migraine on Thursday. Today’s was particularly unpleasant. I read somewhere that there’s a thing called post-exertional malaise that may be related to FM. Has anyone else encountered this? Can it take 30-ish hours to develop?

I won’t give up my badminton until I absolutely have to, but would dearly like to know if it is possibly the cause of my migraines. Has anyone else got any experience of this?

Thanks in advance...

Lisa

PS - any ideas on getting a decent night's sleep would also be especially welcome !
Solder_on
UKFM Newbie

Re: post-exertional malaise

Postby denys » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:20 am

Hi Lisa and :welcome: to the forum, glad you've joined us. Sorry I cant help as I dont know anything about the condition you are referring to. I know that you can get a migraine following intense exercise as I have had it happen, but in my case it's always straight away, not 30 hours later :?: :?:

I always got told it was because of the dilation of the blood vessels due to increased heart rate, after 30 hours this wouldnt apply :?:

Anyway I hope you get some answers and some sleep, cant help you with that either if you look at the time of this post :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 am

:welcome: to the forum Lisa, am the same as denys, my migraine start straigh away,hope you get answers and a good nights sleep :hugs: .
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby piglet_mini » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:48 pm

:welcome: sorry cant help either as a) any exercise harder than walking causes me migraines & b) i'm a bad sleeper too!!
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Hiya

Do you not take any meds for your fibro?
as Fibro is not treated by anti-inflammatories.?

I have never heard of p/e/m before but i do suffer with bad migraines.
I have had to stop exercise as i tend to get a migraine straight away, my legs go jelly and i feel weird and then next thing the migraines appear.

Once i get migraines i have to just let them run the course as nothing will take them away, i can have them for weeks at a time.

Have you tried an memory foam mattress for your stiff limbs? They are great, you can buy the matteress toppers on line cheap.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Solder_on » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi all

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My anti-inflammatories are what I am given by the doc to keep my aches & pains at a level where I can operate almost normally. As I say, I am lucky to be able to do lots of things that other FM sufferers can't. For the time being...

I do have a memory foam mattress topper, but it hasn't really helped with regard to sleeping/stiffness. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Solder_on
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems