Throat narrowing sensation

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Throat narrowing sensation

Postby Quackers » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:46 pm

I was just having a look through some posts and my mind went back to a few months back.
I was in the house and was quite contented when all of a sudden without any warning I felt as though I was choking
I sat down and waited for it to pass. Needless to say it didn't.

It wasn't as though I was gasping for breath, I just felt as though my throat was going to close. I tried a drink of water and had no problem swallowing. The feeling just kept getting worse, and although I knew that my throat was fine I just felt it was so tight inside. It went on for quite a while and I was getting quite worried. I phoned the doctor for some advice, something I have never done for myself before, and the receptionist told me that a paramedic would be along soon.

I slowly but surely managed to put the dog in his box and taking my time I unbolted the back gate. By the time I had done all this I was shattered. After about 5 minutes a paramedic arrived. She tested me all over and was very brusque with me. She was treating me as if I was putting it all on. My husband then arrived home from work and I was given the option by the paramedic to go see my doctor, let my husband drive me to A&E or just 'calm down' and wait until it all passed.

I had not a clue what it was all about and asked her what her advice was. She was actually quite rude to me and said she thought that a panic attack hardly qualified for a visit to A&E.
She wrote out a lenghty report and left. My poor husband hadn't a clue what was going on and after a while the feeling did stop. We have never talked about this since. I have never felt so ashamed in all my life.

I honestly do not believe that this was a panic attack.
How on earth would I have had the presence of mind and calmness to phone the doctor, get the dog sorted and take the bolt off the gate if it had been?
Also my X husband was forever taking panic attacks and what I felt was nothing like that the behaviour he used to show.

I still have problems with my throat constricting and have now got used to it. Is this something that others have experienced? It really does annoy me every time I think about this incident. I am not the kind of person who scares easily and I was just quite happily sitting watching TV when it all happened. I was not worried about anything and was having quite a good day. I do get angry every time I think about it and it annoys me that my husband has never discussed this with me as we are a very close couple who normally discuss everything.
Quackers
UKFM Member

Re: Throat narrowing sensation

Postby velvet » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:11 pm

i quite frequently have something similar when something i swallow (not liquid) just sticks half way down my throat - i can neither persuade it to go down or return it to my mouth - i usually resort to lots of water and some thicker liquid to try and use gravity to move it as it is like all the muscles in my oesophagus have just stopped working. the worst time is when it is tablets - i have burned the inside of my throat where a tablet has sat there for several minutes.

i have mentioned this to my doctor and it has been noted on my records but as it doesnt appear life threatening - i just sit their gagging or trying to swallow and asking for water - nothing has really been done about it.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi I have the same sensations as Velvet, but Quackers have you been to your GP and explained everything to them :?: It's not the paramedics place to be rude to a patient even if you were having a panic attack she should have been trying to reasure you and get you to relax :nono: :nono:

This issue is going to keep causing you stress until you deal with it even by taking to your husband or with your GP, after which you can forget about ignorant medical professionals and move on sending you some :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: and [chocolate] :blowkiss:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby angelwear » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Sadie,
i too have had this sensation many times, usually while eating and have tears running down my face with the pain! My doctor said it might be acid reflux that had burned the inside of my throat . I must say i didnt beleive him, how could acid reflux cause these painful tightenings ? I started to take lasoprazole and within a week it was sorted :D I only wish there was a treatment for the rest of the symptoms :!:
It's worth asking the doctor if he thinks this could be of any help to you.

Hope this Helps Julie :wave:
angelwear
UKFM Member

Postby Donna Day » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:02 am

Hi i too was getting the same thing happen to me exactly as you decribed, I was freeked out by it too but it took me a while to tell the doctor. When i did he said it was acid reflux burning the throat he prescribed me Omeprazole 20mg a day. I haven't had the tightening for a while now so i think thats what you ought to you doctor and suggest the medication that others take for the same thing! It is nice to no we are not alone in this i thought it was just me like with the fibro! Hope you feeling better soon :grouphug:
Donna

I JUST WANT TO BE ME AGAIN
Donna Day
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi Quackers

I went through a patch of this happening to me. I can eat and drink ok no problems. But out of the blue i kept having episodes of not been able to swallow salavia or that there felt a blockage in my throat and my neck feels swollen but its not.

I kept going to the docs and they said it was anxiety because i could eat and drink ok. I went about four times over about six months and she said its a vicious circle, you start getting anxious about this feeling that makes it worse.

I think before i got a diagnosis i was really scared all these things were happening, had a lot of tremours and docs kept saying nothing wrong with me. Since i had fm diagnosis i dont seem to have a lot of these happening anymore. Think its because i know i'm not dying now.

However, over the past few weeks both this swallowing sensation and tremours/palpations have come back. I'm putting it down to the stress of having to drive to see my sister and her new baby 50 mins away.

its always better to go to your gp and get things checked out. You will then have piece of mind.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Thankyou very much ladies. Have talked it over with hubby and it seems he thought that I didn't want it talked about :oops:
He was concerned about me and did often wonder what caused it and said that there was no way it was a panic attack and was just as angry as me at the attitude of the paramedic :D

I have had reflux before, very painful, and took lasoprazol for it but it was/is not that. I do have, however, a narrow throat and have always been prone to choking even on my own saliva, family thing, but this was different.

I have never mentioned this to my doctor just like I have never mentioned having having such sore teeth in the morning that I could not chew anything until hours after I had woken. I just felt that if I told them any more they would have thought me an even bigger hypochondriac than they thought I was already :twisted:

I always need a drink with anything I eat but funnily enough have no problem swallowing pills :dunno:

I think I was just more angry at the paramedic than anything else all this time. I have met a lot of paramedics and ambulance people through being a carer so much and this is honestly the first time I have ever come across one that has been anything else but caring. Indeed I have always sung their praises.

I sometimes feel that it could be that my throat is too dry. I have trouble with dry eyes and skin so this might be the problem. I also feel as though every part of my body just does not receive the right messages from my brain any more.

You have no idea how much it means to me to get these answers. Once again ladies you have been absolute gems.
:grouphug: :flowers: :blowkiss: [chocolate] to all of you. I feel so much better now.
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 pm

hi sadie

i would still have a word with doc next time you have to go

i also have the swallowing problem not all the time but its not nice when i get it
also have very sensitive teeth, i can get very painful tooth ache like pain for about an hour
but then it will pass so i know its fibro+ it moves about to :yikes:
glad your feeling better about it & that paramedic should have known better :nono:
loubie :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby angelwear » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:26 am

hi Sadie, Glad to be of help. I would make an appointment to see doc just to make sure and get the lanzoprazole if you need it but in the meantime try taking ranitadine 75mg twice a day and see if you have any luck with that? Cant believe i woke up in the night (as we do) choking on acid which had come right up to the top of my throat and made it really sore then tonight while having dinner(only chillie and rice) i had a really painful spasm. So for me that definitely confirmed the diagnosis! Cant believe it hasnt happened for about 2 months , then i replied to your post and it happened within 3 hours! sods law.
good luck Julie :wave:
angelwear
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:15 am

I've just got an ENT appointment through for 2 weeks time to have my throat checked out - feels like there's something stuck there and more often than not I have a sore throat.

One theory is I am breathing through my mouth at night, snoring and, according to hubby, having episodes of sleep apnoea.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby sweet princess » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:40 am

I hope you all feel better soon. It's horrible reading about everyone's suffering. You all should try drinking honey mixed with luke warm water. I don't think I've experienced throat tightening like this, but some nights I feel I'm being strangled by my clothing and when I go to pull it off my throat there is nothing there. Do feel a lump in my throat sometimes. (Not the same as when you're sad).

But yeh, avoid fizzy drinks too *says randomly* aspartame has been linked to FMS.

:flowers:

SP
sweet princess
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:28 pm

I do take Lansoprazole when needed and always make sure that I have some on hand. But I very rarely get reflux these days
Oh Julie I do hope that my post does not cause any more episodes :yikes: Please do not let that level of acid reflux continue it can be quite dangerous if you have it too often. My daughter is a Dietician and when I told her a while back about my boss having it she told me that she had to go to the doctor straight away. The doctor gave her a right lecture about not going to him sooner and just treating it herself
I also sleep with my mouth open and snore :oops:

But since taking Ami my sleep has not been a problem. Fingers crossed that keeps working.

Will mention it all to the doc next time I see her.
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 pm

hi iam halfway to a diogonsis of fm , if all the bloods i had done in august are normal , then in jan when i go back they tell me that will be the proble conclusion
thank god for that ?? years of pain and odd feelings thinking im about to die any minite and being convinced that a new pain is some thing life thetening was begioning to take its toll . i have had every test under the sun heart throat lumber and clevical mris and seen cardios ,rummys ,nuroligests and psycoligists and none could find the answer , at last my poor gp suggested fm when i told him i was now starting to feel tired a lot of the time and had tender points on my colerbone and elbowes he sent me to the rummys agian and this ttime it looks like they may agree with him.
yes i have a odd feeling in my thoat when the neck is hurting feels like its closeing up . had a camera down and a bariaum swakllow in 2004 wich showed nothing so when i read this post i thought ah so maybe we are getting near the answer,
i really hope so
regards
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 am

Hi

I hope you do get a diagnosis soon.

It took me 15 years to get mine. Kept going to gp about all these strange things that were happening, been told its all in your head.

Never heard of fm until diagnosis and when i found this forum and read all these strange things were real it was kind of a relief.

I've found this site really really useful, you can say what you feel because everyone knows what your going through.

Take care

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby hazelairedale » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi, I have a hiatus hernia and GORD (acid reflux) and hypothyroidism. All of these give you difficulty swallowing etc. The hiatus hernia and GORD is easily diagnosed via endoscopy which your GP can arrange for you to have. If I eat peppermint my throat feels as if its going to close completley. All these conditions are seemingly linked to FIbro.

I'm on omeprazole 40mg per day and couldnt be without it. Also thyroxine obviously for the underactive thyroid.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems