Sugar Lows

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sugar Lows

Postby GeminiGirl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi All

I get the following symptoms maybe once a week, sometimes twice a week and was wondering if others get it too and if you know what causes it.

First my hands start to get a bit shaky, nothing major but noticeable. over the next 10 - 20 minutes this gets progressively worse to the point that I cant write. i get all sweaty and clammy, my head goes light, i find it difficult to concentrate and i think i'm going to pass out. When this happens i crave sugar, like really crave something sweet., i've had this on and off for a number of years but it happens more frequently now a days. I mentioned it to me gp before and told him i used to drink lucozade when it happened. He said it would be better to eat a banana but thats not always possible and doesnt have the same effect. It happened this morning and tryoing to be healthy i had a banana, some fresh pineapple and orange juice but it had no effect. Then i had a twix and by then the symptoms eased a bit. howeer I still dont feel right, my head feels light and i'd love to sleep but am at work so cant. I think if i have a bottle of lucozade that will help but i may feel tireder in the afternoon.

Does this happen to anyone else and if so what do you do as I have run out of ideas.
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Re: Sugar Lows

Postby missusc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 pm

hi geminigirl

i get the same and also find i need instant sugar and that a banana does not work. i too have shaky hands and feel i am going to pass out. the support group i go to some members have this, but i feel my is getting more frequent and i'm going to mention this to my gp on next visit.
sorry not much help, hope you get it sorted

yours
missusc :wave:
missusc
UKFM Member

Postby GeminiGirl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Missusc

Thanks for replying to my post.

I'd really appreciate if you could let me know how you get on with your GP.

Thanks

Gemini Girl
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Geminigirl, (and missucs) I am a diabetic and you are decribing the symptoms of low blood sugars exactly. If I dont eat properly my sugars drop and cause the shaky, dizzy, nauseous, etc. do you eat a balanced breakfast, and have maybe a banana as a midmorning snack. what the chocolate/lucozade does is give an instant sugar hit and sends your levels up high but this wears off and they drop low again starting a vicious circle.

It's dangerous for this to continue happening, so you need to ward off the feelings before they happen. It doesnt have to be something sweet and in fact is better if it isn't, slow release (such as a banana) is best.

So through all that rambling the point I.m trying to make is try to ward it off before it happens :crazy: :crazy: :hugs: :hugs: hope you start to manage it soon :blowkiss: :blowkiss: have some [chocolate] [chocolate]
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MCT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:56 am

GeminiGirl wrote:Hi All

I get the following symptoms maybe once a week, sometimes twice a week and was wondering if others get it too and if you know what causes it.

First my hands start to get a bit shaky, nothing major but noticeable. over the next 10 - 20 minutes this gets progressively worse to the point that I cant write. i get all sweaty and clammy, my head goes light, i find it difficult to concentrate and i think i'm going to pass out. When this happens i crave sugar, like really crave something sweet., i've had this on and off for a number of years but it happens more frequently now a days. . . .

. . . Does this happen to anyone else and if so what do you do as I have run out of ideas.

I get it off and on, happened twice last week. It always happens to me in the afternoon, usually between 3 - 6 pm. It starts and progresses as you describe but I get a visual disturbance with it as well - my eyes feel like they're jumping around in their sockets and I can't focus. My friend has suggested keeping Dextrosol glucose tablets or similar in my pocket and/or handbag (think lucozade do them as well).
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby Spacegirl74 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:42 am

Me too. I go all weak and I know I'm about to crash. If I eat a Mars Bar it usually gives me up to half an hour to get home before I crash completely. If I catch it early enough I can eat my emergency Mars and carry on with my day but if I'm too late the Mars only holds it at bay for a short while. My father's diabetic so I have checked my blood sugar levels and they are always within normal limits.

I find it comes on if I've been overdoing it or if I don't eat regularly so I try to avoid it where I can. Good luck at the doctors missusc.
Spacegirl74
UKFM Newbie

Postby kerrie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 am

I get eactly the same feelin and convinced i am diabetic, most of my family are! however the tests with the GP for diabetes comeback normal but everytime my dad tests me on hes home machine i am always borderline low blood sugar.

Its ahorrible feeling and i am finding myself drinking lucozade nearly everyday!
kerrie
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems