muscle twitches

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: muscle twitches

Postby carlito » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:50 pm

ive been twitching like mad when i try to sleep, everywhere. i get a mad twitch on my eye lid that drives me mad. so hard to talk to someone. i have twitches in my fingers that r just so strange and you can visually see them. what is going on, like i need these things making it harder for me to get to sleep and with uars and sleep apnea waking me up its just a relentless battle. :crazy:
carlito
UKFM Newbie

Postby deathvalleydemon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:35 am

my muscle twitches are getting worse by the day, 25mg ami's are doing nothing at all for me :(
deathvalleydemon

Postby Lianne17 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 pm

I too am finding the muscle twitches very hard to cope with.They drive me mad. It stops me from falling asleep and when I do fall asleep I will be awoken by a whole arm or leg spasm. Drivng me crazy! :crazy:
I hate the jittery feeling all over my body which makes me feel unsteady and like I have been to the gym for hours. Has anyone found anything that helps this at all?
Lianne17
UKFM Newbie

Postby nutty1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:58 pm

:wave: gabapentin sr morphine,ropininole,co-codamol go back to your drs. :fingerscrossed: you get sorted but eventually even drugs dont help
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 pm

hi, muscle twitches are also a side effect of tramadol. i have just been put back on it in hospital and i am waking up regularly with my limbs flying around.

adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Inks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:49 pm

I can't have Ami at all and my spasms are getting ridiculous (a couple of people at work have made comments, nothing nasty mind, they just noticed is all) I am on Tramadol, Naproxen, Omeprazole and Metformin so don't know if I can take any more meds to keep it under control. (I had bad spasms and RLS before I was on Tramadol tho)

Eee, what a nightmare, I feel like my own private disco :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Inks
UKFM Member

Postby aok41 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 am

hi I get this alot .when i am in bed my legs jerk for some reason and i have had this in my arms too . This is not good when you are holding a cup of tea! There is no warning before hand but all i can say is roll with is as i cant see a doctor would be able to help. Each time i see gp about anothr symptom he just says oh erm fibromyalgia what can i do! Ifeel like banging my head on a brick wall since my fms started. :dunno:
aok41
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:27 pm

just been reading this thread. My muscle twiches and jerks are a nightmare for me and seem to be getting worse and more frequent. They're everywhere - legs, arms shoulders, hands, butt cheeks, abdomen, head, face, nose and eyes. They get worse as the day goes on and are worse in bed. This morning I woke up late - had some friends over last night who slept here. My mate shared my bed with me (put hubby on the sofa! lol) but as I was lying there trying to wake up my shoulder was jerking constantly and then my hand and fingers joined in, then my legs. My face ones are really embarrassing as people notice them more, they really upset me. I take ami but they do norhing fo rhte jerks - just sleep and pain. Didn't know they could help with the twitching. Asked G.P about it again ans she said there was nothing she could give me to make them stop. :(
aok 41, I keep ending up spilling cups of tea and bowls of cereal all over the fall. Seems my hand and arm like to jerk as I pick them up or am holding them. Dropped a whole cup of juice over my laptop and the floor last week cos my arm jerked as I put it down so missed the table and dropped it. also dropped a cup yesterday as I jerked and lost my grip on it. Luckily it bounced.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Keep fighting guys. I landed in hospital with one me my flare ups (so bad I couldn't move). They gave me two diazepam tablets as muscle relaxant however I noticed for myself that for a couple of days after that I wasn't twitching. Anyway long story short I asked for some to calm me when I get my bad flare ups and my doctor gave me some. I used a couple recently to make sure it wasn't fluke and it definitely wasn't. A week ago thursday I was twitching really badly and my boyfriend got so fed up with it he almost literally dragged me to the doctors the next day and asked the receptionist to put a note through to the doctor for something - well the receptionist put down that I was using the diazepam and so a prescription came back for more diaz. The receptionist spoke to me like I was am addict so thursday just gone I say my gp about it and showed her how little diaz I had used (not even half of the first sheet of 14 she'd given me) and asked for something else that would work and was given propranolol which is a beta-blocker that is prescribed for tremors and anxiety. Does a similar job to diaz but is less addictive. I don't know yet if it works as I used my diaz back-up when I started it but :fingerscrossed: at the moment I seem to be alot better. I was beginning to shake and tick so bad I would look sometimes like I was having an epileptic fit. My doc swears it's only anxiety though.

Please do keep pushing your doctors about it as there are things they can try - most just want to fob you off so as to save the NHS money. I also think that it takes time before they take the problem seriously, I have been pushing both my gp and my rheumatologist about the muscle spasms and twitches since january and only just have gotten help with it. I am on two different types of anti-depressant as well as omeprazole, dihydrocodeine, d3, nasofan and anti-sickness meds.

Ok enough of my waffle. My point is forget about being on to bigger cocktail of meds, there's always someting they can try.

Good luck guys finding what works for you.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:29 pm

I had really bad twitches when I was on skull traction after an op to fuse a sublux and fracture to C6 after a car crash left me with a broken neck. I was initially given diazepam, but could only take it for a limited amount of time due to it's addictiveness. After that I was given quinine which, as well as being an antimalarial, is also a muscle relaxant. I found it effective at the time, but this was a good few years ago, so there might be other alternatives available now.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Previous

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems