Multiple sclerosis?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Multiple sclerosis?

Postby Spacegirl74 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:33 am

Hi all

I've just been to my doctor asking for help because my health has deteriorated so much and my mobility is at times non-existant. She refused to refer me for a wheelchair/scooter because FM isn't a permanent thing?! She's referring me to a pain clinic and physio again. :roll:

Anyway, my Mum has Multiple Sclerosis and our symptoms are virtually identical. If she were to have the pressure point test you could easily say she has FM but she was diagnosed with MS ?30 years ago.

I know FM symptoms can mirror MS and I also know MS is not thought to be hereditary but I am a little concerned I have been mis-diagnosed. My problem is that, because of my Mum, doctors can be very stupid and I have been accused of being a hyperchondriac when I went to my doctor as a teenager because my arms were painful and weak. I never mentioned MS at the time and had not even considered it but the doctor assumed I was convincing myself I had my mum's illness and he scrawled it all over my notes. :x That stigma stayed with me for years because of one idiot's assumption. I really don't want to speak to my doctor about this and have her think the same thing. :?

I suffered viral meningitis 8 years ago and that was the trigger for my illness but could it be a red herring? I had an MRI at the time which was clear (I was diagnosed from the spinal fluid). I just wonder if I could have developed MS since then but the doctors are focussing on the post-viral thing and so not looking for anything else?

Anyone have any thought/ideas?
Spacegirl74
UKFM Newbie

Re: Multiple sclerosis?

Postby denys » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:13 am

Hi Spacegirl, its quite reasonable with your family history to ask for it to be considered and if your GP thinks its not a reasonable thing then I would consider maybe looking for amore approachable one :evil:

If you approach her with 'I would like to be tested for MS due to my family history, just to rule it out and put m mind at rest' sort of deal, staying very calm and matter of fact. Then she cant say you are over reacting. Good luck :hugs: :hugs: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Spacegirl74 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks Denys. Yes, I think that's the way I'll approach it.
Spacegirl74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Elsbeth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:00 pm

I have just been diagnosed with MS after having lived with Fibro for years.

It took me a long time to get referred and it was my Rheumi consultant that did in the end as my twitches and muscle weakness was beyond his understanding.

MS can never show any markers, if a person goes 10 years with certain relapses that are MS associated then a person can be diagnosed with benign MS, but this is hard.
MS markers can also take many many years to show up, so if the doctor does refer you then please don't be disheartned if no markers show up in the first instance. You will likely be offered a CSF test as well.

Good luck.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby Spacegirl74 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Thank you Elsbeth. Did you feel relieved to get that diagnosis finally? X
Spacegirl74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:48 pm

I actually couldn't have felt less relieved actually.

Finding out I have MS was the last thing I wanted to hear. MS makes a much bigger impact on your life then I personally feel FM does (i know some will disagree but i am talking from a personal level here).
While FM is hard to live with and comes with it's own problems, there are lots of things it will never do to me and I know that MS probably will. Like, I may not have ever needed a wheelchair on a perm basis with FM alone, but the chances are much higher in this happening with the MS diagnosis. FM will not likely cause my losing the feeling totally in my legs, the MS is already starting to cause this.

So, no, I would much much rather have had just the FM diagnosis.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby Spacegirl74 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I completely understand. I want to know because I need to know I guess but the last thing I want is diagnosis of MS. I've lived with it for 30 years and have been looking after my mum since I was 2 years old so I know only too well the effects of it. I just wondered with the long fight you had to get referred if it was a relief to know you were right to push.
Spacegirl74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Elsbeth » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Oh yeah

It was the right option to push, but there is still a little bit of me that wishes I had kept my mouth shut and had a few more years of oblivion first.

Once you get the words MS, there is no going back and life changes so so much.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby cassey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi reading ur post on ms. I had mri this year. And lumber puncher in aug. Thankfully clear. I was tested as my sibling has ms. They say its not heredatory but it increases ur chances if a close relitive has it. Like u my symptoms minic my siblin.right down to shakyness spasms etc. Im on ms medication but i was told without poss results no diognoses made. I seen an optician today eye pain bluryness i was told spasms causing it the optician seen my stick he asked did i have ms like u i to wonder.
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby cassey » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi having a few problems at the moment. This weather has really got to me. Iv seen my gp . For results from rumatologist. Now fibro is diognosed he has discharched me only seen him once. My gp said fibro is not an illness its a symptom. Like having a cold. Parden my expression shes a prat.i wish it was a cold then id no id get over it. Iv had an awlful few days yet again my leg has given up on me so shaky etc and my gp said its like having a cold lol. Makes me wonder what planet some gps are from.
cassey
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems