"FUNNY TURNS"?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

"FUNNY TURNS"?

Postby tamsin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:49 am

I have had fibro for 10 years now and its been getting worse more rapidly recently. I am wanting to know if any one else has had what i can only describe as a "funny turn" or episode. it comes on from nowhere and really knocks me for 6. my body suddenly stops in its tracks and my chest/heart seems to be pulsing quickly and feels tight. my limbs get twithcy and feels weak and useless. i am unable to move without some help from someone and then it will vanish just as quickly as it arrived.
I am also experiencing "waves of the same thing but not so extreme. my limbs in bed last night felt like they had a life of their own and i started to get panicky with the chest playing up. :yikes:
PLEASE if anyome can offer some advice as i am terrified of what is happening to me. I have rapidly got worse and i know some of it due to the stress of constant reapplying and being humiliated by the whole dla & esa process.
sorry to ramble on but i dont know how much more of these bizarre and ever increasing health problems i can take. i dont see much of a future and that scares me.
please help. :needhug: :dunno: tamsin
tamsin
UKFM Member

Re: "FUNNY TURNS"?

Postby tonydin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:55 pm

hi as i said esleweer i am halfway to a diognoses of fm as everything else is almost ruled out , i think it sarted at 16 after my brother died at 29 . it started with the felings you are discribing as well as back pain when i was 47 a close friend at work died and then evry thing happened at once . chest pain then neck and throte problems then shoulders arms and hands joined in ?? all tests an d scans showed nothing wrong to give me the pain i felt.
i still have the funny turns as well but im 58 this year and still here , these are panic attacks and the worst thing you can imagion, what happens is the brian picks up on something changing in the body and misreads the signels . it thinks that death is occureing and gos in t o fight or flight mode . and you know the rest
i found hypnothereipy very usefull but a good tip is when you feel it trigger , try breathing in deep for 5 second and then exhale slowley through the mouth for 10 seconds ie get youfr breathing as near as you can to 4 breaths per minete for a short while ,this really helps
it seems these feelings go hand in hand with fm , i would suggest you hsve it checked with a doc though if it concerns you.
but mostley its just your body reacting to a unkown percived threat .
hop this helps
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby tamsin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Thankyou for your advice, i shall try the slow breathing when it next happens. It is reassuring to know that other people have similar experiences but also sad that another person is going through this horrible condition. Thanks also for mentioning panick attacks as there has been a lot of upheavel and stress lately so this might be why things have got more intense recently. it is the fear of the unknown that makes these crazy symptoms so scary so thankyou for sharing, :flowers:
tamsin
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

oh and one other thing tamison i have never been able to identify the trigger to a attack it could steem back to how you were thinking hours or day ago
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Tamsin, I agree with Tony that these feelings could very well be panic attacks, we always advice getting any new symtoms checked out with your doc, especially as you say everything is getting worse quickly. I'm so sorry you are suffering like this at the moment and I would stress that you do have a future. It may be very different from the one you thought you'd have before FM but it's still worth having.

Try to look at all the positive things you have in your life and if you can do that you'll be able to see things worth doing in front of you :hugs: :hugs:

The DWP is awful to get through but keep fighting and keep believing you deserve the help you are asking for and we will all be here to give you some moral support. Here's hoping you feel better soon :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :blowkiss:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby piglet_mini » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Keep fighting you'll get there in the end x x
it also sounds like panic attacks to me so definately worth seeing gp about. I found hypnotherapy great for panic & anxiety attacks x x
hope u pick up soon :hugs:
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby tamsin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 pm

I would like to say a big thankyou :flowers: for the kind messages and advice following my post about funny turns. It has reassured me and made each turn a little less worrying. I have booked to see DR on friday to discuss the possibilty of panic attacks and also about a previous heart thing (48 hr trace thing) which resulted in some meds being advised if symptoms got worse.
I am feeling a bit more possitive about future and shall try my best not to let the dla situation get me down.
Have also been asked to go back to job centre on thurs about my esa as its been a year since i was awarded ESA fingers crossed i get someone helpful this time?
thanks again for your support, i will update after fri. :blowkiss:
tamsin
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Good luck Tamsin x
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Angel777 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi
I can so relate to this , since I have had fibro ,and just when I think all is at peace and it is not going to happen again , it does and I so can relate to how terrible it makes you feel . I am moving house yet again , it is our choice, we are stuck in the middle of nowhere and I have had to give up driving and the house is cold which all makes the fibro ten times worse. We moved here from Cornwall 15 months ago and moved house several times before that due to my husbands work moves . But this time it is necessity because of the state of this house , and we have found a really nice warm house to rent near a lovely town where I can walk just ten minutes to the Gp, to the town when I feel like it . Great you think ? the moment the contract was final I went into complete anxiety panic mode , bladder bowel fibro full blast , so as its the evening I have used what natural remedies I have to calm down . But its like this big button that just automatically presses itself and its real terror isn't it, I just get terrified . I have found as the fibro has progressed over the last few years this has got worse. Before the Cornwall move I ended up at the emergency clinic on Diazepam so I could move the next day !

I definitely can relate what you say about it is related to death , moving house is like an end here and a new beginning there, so yes a death , and my brain like yours misreads it as if it is actual death . I found what surfaced suddenly in me this time was a flashback to my fathers death 10 years ago which was very traumatic and mad as it is I had this sudden realisation that I actually see the removal van as the hearse, how mad is that ????. I feel I am putting myself under such pressure , yet I feel I need to get through these things so I can not think this way . I really need to do this move and get through this .

I am thinking of going to the doctor next week and asking her for calm me downs for this move, I would like to get through it , but I see from the postings it is all part of fibro, I have to accept it and need to get something to calm these terror feelings . I just cannot believe all was well until that contract was signed and the brain triggered in change, and the complete physical effort required yet again to do this . Also a feeling of trapped.
Thanks for listening ,
Angel
Diagnosed with FM 2007 /Also have Osteoarthritis which I have had for many years .
Looking to connect with fellow FM people near me as well as making friends and having support from this forum .
Angel777
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi Angel, sorry to hear your FM has triggered again but :fingerscrossed: once the move is complete it may settle down again for you, I think going to the docs is a really good idea. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems