Do I have CFS as well as Fibromyalgia?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do I have CFS as well as Fibromyalgia?

Postby shp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:34 pm

I have been told by one doctor that I have Fibromyalgia and that chronic fatigue syndrome is part of this diagnosis. The other doctor told me that Fibromyalgia and CFS are similar but different disorders although he did say I had chronic fatigue (but didn't say syndrome - just chronic fatigue). Do I have CFS? All I know is that I am in a lot of pain and also have extreme fatigue. I mean things like going for a shower exhausts me, doing simple housework tasks like dusting zaps me of all my energy. Sometimes the fatigue is worse than the pain and I ache at my lymph nodes when I'm really tired. I'm just trying to sort out my diagnosis. I know I have FM but not sure if I have CFS. Unfortunately I paid to go private so I cant afford to ask the doctor as I have not got another appointment with him. Can anyone advise please?
shp
UKFM Newbie

Re: Do I have CFS as well as Fibromyalgia?

Postby neytiri » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Hiya, from what my own gp told me it all depends on the chicken and egg !
you have to work out which comes first lol, Pain or Fituge???
if its pain. . . this then causes fituge so its more likely to be fm
if its fituge . . . this causes pain as you are not mobile then its cfs
I went through the same and kept a record for a week,
it soon showed that it was always pain that came first.
hope this helps
:wave:
neytiri
UKFM Member

Re: Do I have CFS as well as Fibromyalgia?

Postby Spacegirl74 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:59 pm

That makes sense. I WAS diagnosed with cfs despite pain being my main symptom and after 6 years I finally got a referral to a rheumatologist and was dx fm. My rheumatologist explained then as opposite ends of the same spectrum. If pain is primary then fm. If fatigue primary then cfs. He felt you can't have both but that one could lead to the other replacing it.

However my Dr believes you can have both so as usual, it all depends who you talk to.
Spacegirl74
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems