Bowel and Bladder Problems TMI Sorry

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bowel and Bladder Problems TMI Sorry

Postby Bobbi08 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi

For a long while now I have always had problems with my bowel - bascially I can go to the toilet (when not constipated) wipe myself clean and then I feel a little while later dirty go back to the toilet and I still am! I seem to spend an age in the toilet making sure I am clean.. used wipes the lot...

Consultant said that is part and parcel of Fibro and should ease once I get the Fibro under control with my meds.. great

Over the last couple of days my bladder has joined the party - I can't get off the toilet have an incredible urge to go get there and its just a dripple and then still want to go and spend an age on there trying.

Get off and need to rush back and go again...

I am going to see my doctor on Monday for other things so will mention this to her.

Struggling with my sight when I am driving and when I am tired and my left foot keeps going numb when its on the clutch, having a really horrible time at the moment, think its just hit me that I have Fibro, surrounded by forms for ESA, thinking will I have to give up driving - don't want to be housebound (we live in a village and its a 1 hours walk into town) can bearly walk up the road let alone walk into town - I have a rather demanding 3 year old but the only light is my partner who is fantastic really and does alot around the house

Sorry about this post - needed to get this off my chest just not having a great today..
Bobbi08
UKFM Member

Re: Bowel and Bladder Problems TMI Sorry

Postby Mossdweller » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Sorry you are having these problems, as if the pain wasn't enough! If the bladder thing is new you might have got an infection or irritation of some sort. Perhaps you could phone the GP surgery for advice. Try drinking lots of water.
Mossdweller
UKFM Member

Postby Edward » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:30 pm

As we're all more than aware, FM involves far more than just pain alone. The list of associated symptons is almost never ending.

Please don't be embarrased by talking about such things as the problems you're having with your bowels and bladder. Surely, that's what this forum is all about, a place where you can seek help and reassurance about things without suffering scorn and ridicule so often to be found elswhere. (I'm having great difficulty concentrating on what best to say :? )

It sounds to me that your bowel problems can just be put down to IBS which is basically a motility disorder. I've suffered very badly with this for 40 years or more with frequent unpredictable swings from weeks of diarrhoea to shorter periods of constipation. Drinking lots of water can certainly help to ease the problem of constipation. Trouble is you have to keep going for a wee more often! As for medication, you must already know that laxatives can help carefully following the advice leaflets.The bouts of diarrhoea can be controlled with something like loperamide (Imodium). (Sorry for going on and on).

I don't know if you're aware of something called irritable bladder syndrome. This could well account for your problems in the weeing department. I suffer from this too and it can be really troublesome.

Both these conditions, although downright horrible, are not indications of anything more serious. So please don't worry too much about them although your doctor will probably want some tests done to confirm this and that you've not got an infection of some kind.

(I hope this has made some sense because all too often, when I read through something I've written, it seems like a load of old tripe :crazy: )
Edward
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi bobbi, I agree with Edward, never be embarrased to talk about your problems, I have IBS, it does sound like you have it to, but you MUST always get things checked out by your GP, hope you are feeling better soon :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi
I agree with Edward, i think we are all in the same boat with IBS the Strong meds dont help.
You could try lactulose just a small amount will help the stool soften making going to the toilet easier.

With fibro our muscles become weak so this might be the reason why you cant hold on to your bowel.
I have just had to have a op to repair my bladder and bowel as my muscles become very weak and can give up.

For women doing pelvic floor exercises can help strengthen the muscles.

Its always best to get new symptoms seen to as not everything is due to fibro, it could be an infection. :goodluck1: at the docs. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Bobbi I agree with all of the above and :fingerscrossed: you get some relief soon, lets know how you get on :hugs: :hugs:

Edward your post made perfect sense :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Can't really add much more to the good advice you've already been given. With the various things you've mentioned, it might be worth writing them down to take with you when you go to see your GP. Hopefully it'll mean you've got everything to hand that you want/need to discuss, and if it's something you're a little :oops: about, as it's all written down it might be a bit easier to talk about things. Hope things start to settle and improve soon :goodluck2:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bobbi08 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the advice and hugs, yes I have IBS and have since I was a teenager but never had the problem until recently when I was still a little dirty afterwards... but as you say the muscles are a little weak I suppose.

Need to work on that pelvic floor!

Had a bad night - couldn't sleep so was up half the night so this morning I am really stiff oh the joys, back to filling in the ESA form today, gave up yesterday.. try again today.

Thanks everyone and big :hugs: back to you all
Bobbi08
UKFM Member

Postby ginnie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm so glad you posted about these two problems I've been having the same thing for a year now.I asked the Neurologist about my Bowel problems and told him I'm loosing sensation so sometimes have no idea when I've even done anything till it's too late.Anyway He's reffered me to the Continence Nurse so I hope she can help,it's ok when I'm at home I can cope but find it so embarassing when out :oops: I feel relieved(no pun intended!)that I'm seeing someone about it hope you feel better soon as well. :)
ginnie
UKFM Newbie

Postby mooch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey Bobbi :hugs:

I saw something on embarassing bodies programme once about a lady who was the same as what your describing. I'm not a doctor but something rings a bell here. This woman had like a pocket inside the bowel just near the anus and when opening her bowels, faeces would store in this pocket type area and would seep out. There is a name for this but I can't remember sorry. This was corrected by minor surgery. It might be worth getting your gp to refer you to have a full investigation.

K
x
mooch
UKFM Member

Postby Bobbi08 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks Mooch for that, I seem to remember that episode. I did go to the GP and mentioned, periods, bladder bowels and she put it down to the fibro... but if it carries on I will go back to her and mention it.

Thanks for the advice xxxx
Bobbi08
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Rectocele???? Summat liekt hat?

I have IBS and have issues with my rear end and my bladder is driving me nuts, I feel like I am pregnant again but without the baby......... Maybe it would be more accurate to say I feel like an old lady, up and down all night........ Gah.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi

my bladder leaks when I sneeze or cough, I think this is more to do with age and childbirth rather than FM.

I had swine flu last year which left me with a persistent cough. Every time I coughed I would leak to the point that I had to wear sanitary protection every time I went out to avoid the embarrassment of a wet patch.

A few weeks later I saw this embarrassing bodies episode that you are talking about. It mentioned Aquaflex pelvic floor exercise system. I bought this and you insert a plastic capsule with different weights. You start off with a few and build up to you can take them all. You then go on to the smaller capsule and do the same. However, I seem to be stuck on the small capsule with the weight of 40 g. It goes up to 55 g it if I go over this it just falls out. I have noticed an improvement and no longer have to wear a protection. I am thinking of getting a probe that fits onto my tenscare tens machine and you use electrical currents to exercise your pelvic floor. I am hoping this will speed things up a bit.

On physiomedhomecare website they also do one for anal to tone muscles up.

Yes i would visit your gp like others suggested just incase it is not FM

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:24 pm

The muscle stimulation units are very good, I have been naughty and not used mine in a while but after the birth of my third I had a prolapse and the unit I used really did help (with a prolapse yuo can't use the aquaflex etc apparently)......
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby mooch » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:16 pm

After my fourth child who flew out at high speed..the first time I struggled with my bladder. I used the pelvic educator http://www.bodykind.com/search/pelvic/p ... cator.aspx. Very good as it has an antenna that moves when you work your muscles...partners can play along too...hoopla on a moving target :D
mooch
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems