weight

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

weight

Postby constellation » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:16 pm

hi just seen consultant at hospital today re my stomach as have probs with reflux etc asked if i was losing weight or had probs eating when i said no said i didnt require getting a tube down my throat to see if my gullet was inflamed. when i got home i began to wonder if i am losing weight as i dont keep a check on it, does having the fibromyglia make you lose weight and also put on weight ? i am now worried incase i have been losing weight and never noticed and maybe something more seious is wrong with my guts than wat i thought, i feel stressed constantly worry bout the least thing help?
constellation
UKFM Newbie

Re: weight

Postby denys » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi Constellation, this worryingis probably adding to your stress levels and making everything worse, I know my IBS is always worse when something starts to bother me. Do your clothes still feel the same on you? Has anyone else commented that you look as though you are losing weight? the consultant was probably just asking a general question and your immediate response was no, I think you would have noticed if you has lost a significant amount :shock:

Fibro can add weight but its not the condition it's the meds, some people (myself included) gain weight cos the meds tend to be weight gainers and also because we become less active so we get caught up in a bit of a vicious circle, but others due to the nausea and like you constant woryying end up in a different vicious circle and will lose weight :crazy:

Please stop worrying and if you cant make an appointment with your GP and ask for a re-referral and explain you are worried that something may be missed.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby libby63 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 am

I have IBS I also have a hiatus hernia both are worse when I'm stressed and feel under pressure and in pain. If its a hiatus hernia then you will get a lot of reflux you will also feel that sometimes food gets stuck half way down. The other problem could of course be the medication you are on. It interfers with your stomach lining and causes an acid build up. Might be well worth you asking your GP to put you on omeprazole for a month and see if that helps. I have to take omeprazole daily as medication like diclofenac and codine effect the acid balance in your stomach.

Hope that helps some

Liz
libby63
UKFM Member

Postby shazbaz1971 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:48 pm

hiya hun

Well I certainly have put on weight , in fact a stone n half :shock: thats over past 3 years though! My was combination of the meds (amitriptyline) and of course severe lack of exercise!! As previoulsy i was a PE teacher and part time Gym/aerobic/aqua instructor and did personal fitness sessions too and trained 6 days a week phewww I dont know how i ever managed it now to be honest.......so i was extremely active!! However, i cant do any now, it kills me physically and mentally, took some time to certainly deal with all this, due to been so sporty !

Just keep an eye on your weight hun........again we are all different, obviously in my case the weight was due to been overactive to zero now........however i used to only weigh just under 8 stone so i know i aint huge now, but still affected me!

We are all different hun........but if your worried go back to your doctors and express any concerns you may have !!

My doc laughed at me ( in a nice way) when i mentioned my weight gain .....he looked over his glasses and said well, your sat on your butt now :shock: although he did still do bloods etc to check in case wasnt anything else , as i was adamant i was going through the dreaded change LOL

So for reassurance hun maybe go back to your doctors !

Hope you can get the reassurnace you need hun

shaz xx
"Many a tear has to fall, but it's all in the game"

Shaz
xxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby Stephanie66 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:15 am

Hello there,
I have IBS and Fibromyalgia - I used to be a size 16 and am now a size 8. It seems since I have become ill with all of this. My weight has just dropped and dropped. I take Movicol 3 times daily for the past 2 years. I keep loosing weight as I have trouble eating as everytime I eat, my tummy is bad. but everytime I dont eat, I feel even worse. People around me, my friends, my family all tell me how much weight I have lost, yet I cant see it myself. I still see a bigger person staring back at me. But amongst all of this pain I am in...who cares if I loose some weight or gain abit of weight? I am fed up of the constant pain!
Well i have talked enough now, hope you are ok.. :) x
Merry Christmas .... x
Stephanie66
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:19 am

Hi Stephanie have you seen a counsellor regarding your weight loss?? I agree with you the constant pain is horrible to live with and can make you feel that nothing is within your control and Im just wondering if the weight thing is tied in somehow :dunno: it might be worth mentioning it to your doc and then you can get everyone off your back

you keep talking as much as you like and I hope you are OK too :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Stephanie66 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Hello,
No I havent seen someone about the weight loss. It has only started to become a problem within the last few months. Before any of this came on I was a healthy size 16, but then people including family members would comment on how much weight I had. Now I have lost the weight now to a size 8, everyone still comments saying I have lost too much and I am going anorexic. I was put on Movicol 2 years ago by the doctors, when my IBS was at it's worst. I have taken 3 a day for the past 2 years, but I do think that has played a big role in my weight loss too. I need to take it for my IBS, yet it is making me loose weight so people are telling me. But in my mind I do actually need it for my IBS, as I get that severe also.
It is hard also with having Fybro as it makes me so tired, and my energy levels have just gone.
Thank you for your kind reply. :hugs:
Merry Christmas .... x
Stephanie66
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Stephanie
Iam the other way around, i used to be a size 8 i never put on weight but i guess the crohns had a part in that.
Since i had operations for crohns then came fibro and many more new different symptoms and along came the strong pain meds with side effects of weight gain, and lack of exercise because of pain i am now a size 14/16 and i hate it, its just not me.

I feel as though i have been put into someone else's body. I dont eat much but still seam to put on weight. :evil: :facepalm:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Stephanie66 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:18 am

Hi,
It is horrible when you are not happy with your own body. I can relate to how you are feeling now. Because when I was bigger, I didnt mind so much, but when people starting to comment I got to stage where I hated it, but now they are exactly the same. I give up now on caring what people think.
It is horrible to have any stomach pain, and believe you me, people dont see how much pain you are in. I have had people tell me that thre is no such thing as Fybro or CFS, and IBS is nothing either. . . try being the person who has got it.
Hope your ok xx
Merry Christmas .... x
Stephanie66
UKFM Member

Postby Dizzymember » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

I have too, lost weight. I havepolycystic ovary disease, which means I should have trouble lossing weight, but since having ibs, it has not been a problem. Feels like a horrible circle....you eat, you get the spasms, then visit the loo, then I do not feel like for days. I was at one point 14stone plus now I am 10stone 6lb. I am positive it is due to the ibs, and stress. When I am severely depressed I also do not want to eat, no appetite at all. Like you my friends say oh you have lost so much weight, I can feel it, but I do not feel any healthier for it and for years I was a bigger person as in size 20 now a lovely size 14.
Dizzymember
UKFM Member

Postby littlemissblue » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

hi to everyone, i too have ibs and plysctic ovarys, i had my gall bladder removed in 2009,i explained to the doctors about my increased weight gain and at that time i was quite active visiting the gym and going swimming but was told basicaly it was all for nothing as i wouldnt loose weight and just to keep trying to see what foods agreed with me and which was bad which i could tolerate and couldnt,so on pondering on this i came to the conclusion i might as well give up everything,it was after my op i was diagnosed with fbm,i realy hate going to the doctors once they see fbm on screen everything comes down to that,its a label and it shouldnt be like that,has for the weight i just have to deal with it and i basicaly live off fish veg crackers and cereals ,i findchocolate bread potatoes and fruit sometimes can aggrivate my symptoms xxx
littlemissblue
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems