Vitamin deficiencies and food allergies

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Vitamin deficiencies and food allergies

Postby lrgatrell88 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Was diagnosed with a vitamin D deiciency last year but it has taken up till now for anything to really be done about it. have also recently been diagnosed with a B12 deficiency :? has any one else had this?

also been told after testing that i am allergic to gluten, all cows milk diary products and caffeine! so life is very fun atm. i cant even eat chocolate any mre :( . jst wondered if this was normal? feel like im fallin apart atm. x
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Re: Vitamin deficiencies and food allergies

Postby denys » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi I have pernious anaemia so have to have B12 injections every 12 weeks, I have a lot of chemical allergies (different meds) but havent had food allergy tests done sorry. I know that some people have posted previously saying they have allergies and food and chemical allergies are a recorded symptom of FM :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby matthew » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:57 am

Hello. I was diagnosed with a severe vitamin D deficiency after the Rhuematologist ordered a lot more blood test than my GP originally did (Rhuemy did 13 my GP did 7). I found out that vitamin D deficiency could mimic the signs of Fibro but I've been taking the tablets for about 9 months now but unfortunately no improvement to either pain or fatigue. :(

By the way, the chewable tablets taste absolutely disgusting - like eating a block of chalk. The lemon ones are nicer than the normal tutti frutti ones however, so I try to ask the pharmacist for them if I remember. :)
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:01 pm

haha ok i will try and remember to ask for that flavour then. i am currently takin calceous which is disgusting aswell xxx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby riksy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:35 pm

The relationship between Vitamin D, B12, magnesium and calcium seems to be crucial to me. My pain, especially rib/neck/back is directly related to how much vitamin D I get, but taking the wrong type of D or too little, or having digestion issues like low bile seems to block effective absorption.
It's recommended that you take vitamin D in oil form like capsules as hard pills are very hard to absorb and you should be tested regularly to make sure that the level is going up and doesn't get too high. To get any benefit I have to take 5000iu + per day, or get good midday sun exposure, but in winter the sun gives no D from Oct to March.
Magnesium also seems to be crucial to me, especially for other effects like migraine/tinnitus, but without enough D it just papers over the cracks.
The B12 test from the GP in the UK is flawed in that the safe level is set too low & they send people home when they have a level that causes serious illness, check out b12d.org for some accurate info from a UK doc that actually cares about patients :shock: . Also the NHS magnesium test is effectively useless, just in case anyone was tempted to rely on it & the NHS minimum D level is so low that is will keep a patient in the cash cow, constantly ill & living on meds range. The med professionals that seem to care set the min level at about twice the NHS level.

I started taking vit D about 10 months ago but its been a horrendous learning curve to see what works & why. I had low bile production which meant that progress was v slow, but with various concotions I've started to turn it around. Only trouble is that I had bendy ribs at one point and taking D seems to increase pain maybe because the system starts to remineralize the bones so its something to keep in mind.
riksy
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems