do i or don't i, that is the ?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

do i or don't i, that is the ?

Postby yonark » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm

i have had problems with hypermobility since the age of 13, was diag with fibromyalgia 3 years ago, and vit d deficency showed in test a few months back, i was also told by a rhumy consultant just a few months back that an xray showed that the bones in my hands down to my wrists were very thin, is there a chance i could have osteoporosis. i did ask my gp for a bone density scan but he said everybody gets osteo problems in later life and if i have got it there is nothing to treat it any way. should i demand a scan, i know nothing can be down but i would like to know. i am only 38
yonark
UKFM Member

Re: do i or don't i, that is the ?

Postby budda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:41 am

Hi yonark, if it were ME i would tell the GP that i wanted this scan,its your body and you want to know for sure whats wrong with you, yes I would demand :goodluck1: :fingerscrossed:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby animalhouse » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 am

hi,

my sister lost alot of mobility a couple ofyears ago after having a leg amputated. and this sent her through early menopause ...

anyway to cut a long story short she then fell adn broke her hip.

they did a bone density scan and put her on calcium carbonate? tablets as a preventative measure for osteo and she has been taking for about a year or so, :blowkiss: as poor mobility and menopause can cause bone thining as if you don't use your lges/bones etc they do not regrow (cant remmber exact tecnicality as only got 1/2 way through the nursing course) but they do give meds so check again with doctor.

hope this helps :wave: :wave: :wave:

basically if you did have a fall then you are more susceptable to breaks etc..
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby loubie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:03 am

its a yes from me too
i would tell him/her you want it done.
good luck :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Nic-nac » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 am

Another yes from me too :blowkiss:

A few years ago I had to force my ex-doctor to give me a x ray for my back which then showed problems with lower half of it, yet she had not thought it necessary. I would always push now if I feel there is a valid reason. And boy do you have a valid reason. Good luck and hope the doctor see sense and gives you the scan :fingerscrossed:
Nic-nac
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Yonark
The bone scan is called a Dexa scan, i have to have one done every year due to long term steroid use for crohns and a very high risk for osteoporosis, i have osteopenia and have to take calcium d3 meds twice a day for life.
My GP said that if i had a fall my body would not recover 100%.

Calcium are good to stop your bones from thinning as you get older.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Yonark and another yes from me too :xmaswave1: :xmaswave1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby yonark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:16 pm

thanks kindly for the replies....will defo be doing something about it.
yonark
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems