pregnancy

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pregnancy

Postby livermore » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Havent been on here for a long time, been stuggling to get my head around things.

I thought id made my peace with my dx but sometimes i find i get very angry about it, anyway i wanted to ask you all for some advice.

I have got engaged to my wonderful fiance who is brilliant at taking care of me when i need it and we are due to get married in may and would love to start trying for a baby straight away. Is there anything anyone can recommend for me to take to help my chances of conceving? and im guessing i will have to come off my painkillers so how has everyone else coped? I work full time and find im struggling alot at times and am very worried about working whilst pregnant, any advice or stories would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Michelle. x
livermore
UKFM Member

Re: pregnancy

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm not any help as I wasn't dx when I was pregnant in 2005. Luckily for me, I'd given up work a year or so earlier than I got pregnant as I couldn't cope with the pain and fatigue anymore. I spent the first 15 weeks almost in bed with a constant migraine. I hope I'm not putting you off!

I'm sure someone who had a dx and was working will give you a better idea of what to expect. Everyone is different though.

:wave:
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi
Sorry i cant help i had my kids pre fibro.
I would go have a chat to your GP a few months before you want to start trying as you will need to wean off your meds and you will want them out of your system before you conceive. Your GP will be able to advice you on what you can and cant take. :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:30 pm

HI

I had my last baby 2 year ago and I was dx before that.

I actually found pregnancy helped me with my pain. I was able to cope without the painkillers. I didn't take too long to conceive as fibro doesn't actually affect conception as such.
I was under the constant care of my Ob Gyne and my Rheumi. My midwife was brilliant as well as my GP. I was also allowed to have a shot of morphine if I felt i needed it as I have other conditions as well.

I made the decision to sit and talk to my GP when I decided to try and he helped me understand what was going to have to happen. Could be worth you doing the same.

It took about 3 months for my symptoms to return as well.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 am

Hi

I had my kids pre fibro so not much help there but following on from what Elsbeth has said, it is very common for a number of conditions to either go into remission or the effects lessen whilst you are pregnant, I know MS is one of them, not 100% about fibro :D

Like the others have said make an appointment with your GP to discuss it, and sometimes midwifes also do preconception councelling that can be accessed before you try, your GP should be aware of it, but may be worth googling it as well.

:fingerscrossed: good luck

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby livermore » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks everyone i will try and make a docs appointment see what he says. x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby monstermit » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:32 pm

i am wondering the same thing, some days i wonder if i could ever not take ibuprofen because of the fluey feeling and pain.

they say there are stuff u can take even whilst pregnant but nurse is best people to speak to. i really want to start a family soon too but am worried about the same thing x have u decided what to do yet
monstermit
UKFM Member

Postby piglet_mini » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Congrats on the engagement. Hope the wedding goes smoothly. I've had 2 children & luckily gp was understanding. Pre conception I was referred to obs gyne who specalised in patients with chronic conditions & pregnancy & had a midwife trained in cronic pain too. I was able to pretty much stay on all my meds lower doses & was monitored closly during the pregnancy & after birth incase of withdrawl in baby etc.
Good luck hope everything goes well for u xx
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby livermore » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi guys,

ive been to see the doc and as im not on too many meds i can just stop taking them as soon as i want to start trying, scary thought tho as they do help me get through the day. I have rhummy appointment at the hospital in march so will discuss with him as well but as i have mentioned before he isnt that fab i feel like he dosent believe me. Have started taking my folic acid already and am eating helathy too, apparently thats all i can do. Im very excited tho 14 weeks till the wedding day cant wait!!!

Michelle.x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: with everything michelle, you've got some lovely things to look forward to :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: the rheumy you see for your appt next month is more understanding this time :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby stodgers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 am

Good luck :-) i have to say in my case pregnancy was the best time i had in years!!! Apart from a spell of headaches and slight spd i felt better than i had in years! I even pulled an all nighter at my friends hen do when i was 7 months! Sober obviously lol! My friends all joke about how it's the healthiest i've ever been. It also took a good year and a half for my symptoms to properly come back :-) obviously everyone is different but fingers crossed you're as lucky as i was :-)
stodgers
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm

It differed with each pregnancy. was kinda ok with first, awful with second and kinda ok with third. I was allowed buprenorphine patches with my third because the doc said that the bupe wasn't as bad as the codeine or summat like that.........

Just keep up with your folic acid and I always found those pregnancy vitamin concoctions quite good (I think it was pregnacare I used, I found it fantastic and I continued with it while breastfeeding as well).

I think maybe an appointment with pain management might be an idea preconceiving so that you have a pain plan worked out for during pregnancy, they wouldn't let me have anything in my first and second pregnancies because I was still undiagnosed with EDS and fibro but the third there was a lot of arguments amongst the doctors over what to let me have, the pain doc shut them all up with a rather abrupt letter saying that everything they had prescribed me was more damaging than just prescribing the bupe and as long as I came off it two weeks before the birth (I was having a home birth), there wouldn't be any issues with withdrawal issues for the baby.

I found the pregnancies hard going with the pain and fatigue etc, in my third one, when I asked to have more pain relief, I had Docs tell me 'well, if you are in so much pain maybe you should just have an abortion', I mean the baby was an ooooops baby but I just couldn't go through with an abortion, I mean jeez, talk about a bedside manner............. I came off the bupe because I was told too as soon as I found out I was pregnant and really suffered with the withdrawal etc but it was such a relief to have decent pain meds back again. Third baby is now 2 years and 4 monthsish and she is a really happy, cute, bubbly thing. Reached all her milestones (was walking by 8 months), good hand to eye coordination etc etc etc so apparently, no damage done. Got the home birth, she was a normal weight (7lbs 6ozs), born exactly on her due date (according to my dates not the ridiculously rubbish scan dates), she had the right number eyes, toes and fingers. The only problem with her was that she got a urinary tract infection and had to go to hospital at 8 days old but they suspect it was due to a premature rupture of membranes ( water went 2 days before she was born but it was hind waters and it sealed up but there is a chance some infection happened and chances are, the rupture and fast labour were due to my EDS rather than anything else).

So, yup, go for it (and maybe consider a home birth because they are most excellent, there is nothing quite like giving birth and then being able to get into your own bath, use your own toilet and snuggle in your own bed with your baby and chinese take out!!!!!!!!!, oh, and being waited on hand and foot by husband (not that my husband did that, he was still upset he missed the birth but the midwife did as well, me and the babe were the only people present))...............

Also if you suffer IBS, apparently you will be able to deal with pan of labour better than someone who doesn't have IBS.

Also, eat healthy, try and do as much exercise as you can, pay attention to your stomach, butt and thighs............... Enjoy yourself in the mean time!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems