paralysing sleep

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

paralysing sleep

Postby cherryblossom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 am

Hi All :wave: Finally got to see my gp today! He sorted out my meds again but I also mentioned to him that I ge ta funny sleep issue. I will suddenly nod off somewhere and altho I can hear everyone around me, and I can hear them talking to me, I just physically can't move. It is just soooo much effort, I can't grunt or even move a little finger! I've had it several times and before i was on meds. I told the doc who said it IS related to fibro and it's some kind of p something somnia! :crazy: He said it's a sort of paralysis! I have to say it has scare d me on occasions but at least now I know what it is! :yikes: Anyone else get this? All the best Cherry x
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Re: paralysing sleep

Postby denys » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 am

Sorry Cherry no I havent had this sounds really scary :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 am

me neither
sounds very scary
:shock:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Quackers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 am

I have had this a lot!
I just thought it was all part and parcel of the extreme tirednes that goes along with Fibro and never thought to mention it to anyone.
It was very scary the first time and I tend to get it when I am on a flare up. Had it today again. My husband often says that he can see I am attempting to react but can't. I distinctly remember it ay daughter's wedding.
I had to go to bed early and my hubby and younger daughter came to my room to get a surprise I had in my case for my elder daughter. I could hear their voices and tried to react. I heard my daughter saying taht I was trying to move my head and that was all I could remember.
I asked my hubby about it the next day and he said I raised my head about an inch off the pillow and that was all.
When I am fast asleep in the chair I can hear the TV and often the reality of what is on there gets mixed up with my dreams. It really is weird. It is so surreal.
Hubby and I just put it all sown to extreme tiredness. Yet another thing to ask doc about
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 am

I've had something similar but not to the extremes you have mentioned :yikes: I can be sat in a chair and want to get up, sometimes my eyes are open sometimes closed. I know I want to get up, mentally i'm saying I want to move but physically nothing is moving, not even a flicker. I can keep saying come on move - but no movement. Usually something happens ie cat jumps on my knee and this stops it or all of a sudden I can get up.

Very wiered :crazy: but not something i've had checked out, as it seemed to me to be a fibro thing

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Quackers wrote:I
When I am fast asleep in the chair I can hear the TV and often the reality of what is on there gets mixed up with my dreams. It really is weird. It is so surreal.

Hi Quackers,
:wave:
that sound very familiar to me
you def triggered something in me

living on my own nobody ever said anything about that
don't think it happened to me somewhere else :?:

anyway
I have times when I dream that I am awake but can't move
but thought I would sleep, who knows
that is actually scary

because that happend more often I somehow got used to it 8)

now I seam to remember when asleep but dreaming that awake etc
and try to make myself to wake up in talking to me in my mind: "wake up, wake up"

the whole waking up is very painful and takes some time
but it works :fingerscrossed:

but sometimes it is like those russian dolls
i.e I manage to wake me up only to find me still not able to move (scarry again)
because I only dreamt that I woke me up
and actually still asleep

I hope that makes sense

bit freaked out myself now
:crazy:
lu
Last edited by fibro-lu on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi
I cant help as never had that happen to me.sounds scary. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tonydin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 am

dont tell me this is fm related aswell yes i go to sleep wife reckons im snoring but i can hear every thing in background but cant hear the snoring, and i thiknk im just resting with eyes closed?? we she wakes me i cant move and have to fight my way back . very scary i think rummy said he would get gp to looka t this
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 am

happy-new-year-1

Hello there. Thank god that someone experience the same problem as me - I thought that I am the one and only who has paralysis/sleep issues.......

I have sleep paralysis at night, especially if I am anxious or have not been to sleep very well on a certain night...During the night when I get sleep paralysis, my body does not move but I am sort of awake....I can even have hallucinations at the same time, which is very horrible. Certain medication like amitrypyline makes it worse for me.

But I can also have this problem during the day...I could be sitting in a chair for example and I will suddenly become extremely tired where I cannot move very well. I can suddenly become tired and paralysis, but I can still hear. But I cannot talk or move. I also have muscle jerks.

I mentioned this to my gp because I was worried that it could be an underlying condition like epilepsy or narcolepsy but the doctor says it maybe the fibromyalgia that is causing it. But I have never known fibro to cause such problems....But maybe we the first few ones, hey?

Take care and I do understand what your going through.
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby thebryans » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:30 am

yes I get this a lot, I am aware of everything around me but cant speak or move, I thought it was something to do with my panic attacks but maybe it is the fibro.

:grouphug: to everyone, xxx
thebryans
UKFM Member

Postby cherryblossom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi Guys :D Well I'm really glad this has started off something amongst so many of you and you've all found out there are others like you out there. The way I can describe it best is almost identical to the way sjc describes. I do get suddenly very tired and can't prevent my eyes from closing and I sleep for just a few minutes or I may actually be asleep for a while.I'm aware of having my eyes closed and can hear everything going on around me but am not able to move a muscle, not even the smallest! I also get the muscle jerks.The doc said it is to do with fibro, he says it's very common, and that it's when our brain wakes up before our bodies do, like having had an anaesthetic and you're conscious of things going on about you before you come to properly which is why it's a form of paralysis :crazy: . It's also not the best thing to happen to you in the middle of a committee meeting either! :oops: I don't like it and it does bother me but there's nothing to do about it. But at least we know. Take care all Cherry :blowkiss: :grouphug:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 am

i get this and just assumed it was taking me a while to come round.

as mentioned oh will sometimes ask something and i cannot respond quick enough before he has already reacted and made a decision himself.

just thought it was the cfs that makes us slower etc.

i find i am watching the world go by or listening but it takes me a while to join in.

:roll: :roll:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby sleepyrich » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I have had sleep paralysis for years, I used to go on about it to my wife who just didn't understand what I meant until one night it happened to her!

It can be terrifying to say the least, its like a semi concious dream state where your body sleeps but your mind wakes.

Check out these links for a little more information;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

And also I notice a few members here mention the feeling of lucid dreams;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

I found for me the trigger was going to bed completely naked, sleeping on my back and feeling a bit exposed during my sleep. Also being a little anxious when you go to bed can add to the trigger.
sleepyrich

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm

thank you rich

very interesting

:wave:
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby KellyBelly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 pm

sjc wrote:
I have sleep paralysis at night, especially if I am anxious or have not been to sleep very well on a certain night...During the night when I get sleep paralysis, my body does not move but I am sort of awake....I can even have hallucinations at the same time, which is very horrible.

This is exactly the thing that happens to me - it absolutely terrifies me. Thankfully it hasn't happened for a while now, fingers crossed it doesn't anytime soon!

I remember one time falling asleep during the day at Uni (I was in my dorm room), but when I 'woke' it was dark and I was convinced that I could see someone else in my room moving towards me - I was desperately trying to get up and I was straining trying to scream. I eventually managed to let out a scream and this woke me up properly (and I could move again). Horrible.
KellyBelly
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems