Graves Disease and Fibromyalgia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Graves Disease and Fibromyalgia

Postby Tillybud » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:51 pm

I am wondering if anyone here has these two conditions running concurrently ?

I have both and have been trawling through the internet to find further information, I have found alot of information about Hypothyroidism being a key to Fibro but not Hyperthyroid, I would love to hear about anyone having a thyriod disfunction generally, but it would mean alot if you could reply.

Many Thanks
Tillybud
.....I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Tillybud
UKFM Member

Re: Graves Disease and Fibromyalgia

Postby Adele » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09 pm

hi. i have hypothyroidism. i've been on thyroxine for 8 years. i have annual blood tests and that's it. i haven't researched a link to fibro

adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Tillybud » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Adele wrote: i haven't researched a link to fibro

adele xx

Hi adele :D Thanks for your quick response, yeah I have read alot about hypothyroidism, I have simply Googled both words together, but wouldn't dare try and quote the stuff i've read, as I really struggle to retain any info digested these days :crazy: I am trying to find out whether one was caused by the other, so I thought of asking here :?:

sending thanks to you adele

Tillybud
Tillybud
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:02 am

Hi Tillybud, I have had borderline thyroid results for years but as yet they correct themselves so am not on any medication. Dont know of a link to Fibro although I'm sure quite a few people on here suffer with their thyroids as it has been discussed before. Sorry I cant remember the post as I struggle to retain anything too. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi
I do have mine checked by when having bloods done but so far mine have been ok but know of a few fibromites with thyroid problems.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:19 pm

:wave: i have been taking thyroxine for 4 years and kept having to have it upped .but was also diagnosed with dystonia 2002 fm 2006/7 but was originally diagnosed me in the 80s :dunno: :crazy:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby Tillybud » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 pm

denys wrote: Dont know of a link to Fibro

Hi there denys :wave:

My endocrinologist acknowledged a link between Hypothyroidism and Fibro but said it bore no relation to hyperthyroid (or Graves Disease).
Looking back I think it may be down to how long I had the Graves Disease (I believe approx 8 years before I was diagnosed by my G.P) and therefore had cronic sleep problems :roll:
I appreciate everyones response to me, Thankyou :mrgreen:

I just have so many unanswered questions and never seem to get them from the medical community, however I was only diagnosed with Fibro in November 2010, so I'm a novice to the condition.

I am surely paying for ignoring my feelings of being ill for so many years, and pushing myself to hard, but i'm sure i'm no different to most women today.

Take good care everyone I am so happy you all took some time to answer my question, thanks :blowkiss:
Tillybud
UKFM Member

Postby Tillybud » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:33 pm

nutty1 wrote::wave: but was also diagnosed with dystonia 2002 fm 2006/7

Thanks nutty1 :wave: , dystonia? I had a quick look at this just now and it sounds horrid :|

I have an awful neck crick that drives me beyond spare - so far my Doc has only diagnosed Cervicalgia - or plainly put - pain in the neck. My neck snaps frequently and is so much worse at night.

How does Dystonia affect you? Or is there a thread to read here?

Take Care
Tillybud :blowkiss:
Tillybud
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:57 am

:wave: tillybud .i was diagnosed with cervical dystonia ,basically my neck is affected worse it goes over and rests on my right shoulder .the back of my head and neck cracks and creaks and if i try to hold my head up i look like a nodding dog lol .i also talk through clenched teeth lose my voice and suffer with blephospasms .there are lots of different ways its affects different people .my hands claw .i personally get confusedbetween whats fm or dystonia .but after at least 30 years i have good team with dr and neurologists .i have botox injections for the neck and eyes which although i find painful .but am a wimp with needles :yikes: i get some relief for a few weeks . :roll: needless say been testes for lots different things :facepalm: and at mo my right leg is acting the wally :? when i finally got diagnosed was told good news is your not going mad :crazy: the bad news is you have dystonia :shock: .hope i havent :? you or bored you :lol: :hugs: :wine:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby Tillybud » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:31 pm

nutty1 wrote::wave: tillybud .i was diagnosed with cervical dystonia ,basically my neck is affected worse it goes over and rests on my right shoulder .the back of my head and neck cracks and creaks and if i try to hold my head up i look like a nodding dog lol .i also talk through clenched teeth lose my voice and suffer with blephospasms .there are lots of different ways its affects different people .my hands claw .

Cor nutty1, I feel for you hun, however your post shows fab humor (and no not boring)

i have botox injections for the neck and eyes which although i find painful .but am a wimp with needles [/quote]
LOL so am i....I gave 7 vials of the stuff today..my fault tho..I could have gone twice to have a blood test ..I have to cover my head with my coat
:lol: it's a good job the nurse at my surgery understands 8)

I hope all is as well as can be with you today :hugs:

Tillybud
Tillybud
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 am

:wave: tillybud ,when i have blood taken they lay me down ,cos i nearly always pass out .so you are very brave having that much in one go :yikes: am ok with others blood its just my own :lol: :lol: oh comes in when i have botox to distract me and they use baby needles but unfortunately i always have spasms going as they inject .like i said i`m a wimp .dunno how i go on like denys with diabetes .and thankyou for compliment :flowers: lol we have to be nutty to keep sane :crazy: if you know what i mean .but i have had momments of darkness 8)
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby nutty1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 am

meant to add this barmy lot keep me going :lol: :wine: all xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 pm

and its a pleasure to do Nutty, regarding injecting you sort of get used to it, it becomes second nature, like cleaning your teeth just another thing to do, morning and night!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm

nooooo :nono: :nono: really dont envy you denys :yikes: oh and guess who has blood test this afto for thyroid :cry: is that weird or what :?: me thinks they looking in 8) :tongueout: :facepalm:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 pm

its a conspiracy Nutty :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems