ME FORUM/FIBRO WHATS THE DIFF

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ME FORUM/FIBRO WHATS THE DIFF

Postby cassey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 am

Hi all, iv recently been talking to people on the m/e forum ,as i wanted to know the diff between fibro/me.as the symptoms are very simular. well iv a question? m/e people they, say that the m/e condition is classed as a nerological decease is fibro?.or not.
cassey
UKFM Member

Re: ME FORUM/FIBRO WHATS THE DIFF

Postby Emerald » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:10 am

CFS/M.E. has NICE guidlines stating the fact too, FM doesnt. With CFS its more Chronic Fatigue being the main factor usually connected to a post viral fatigue like I never recovered from Epstein barr(glandular fever) however was diagnosed with FM 1st strangely in which the main element is pain and fatigue as a secondary. I only recently was also diagnosed CFS after the old full test rigmarole and the GP reading back through my history about the Epstien etc.
Emerald
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:15 am

hi cassey, i have both.

for me they have different types of pain. with fibro it is pain from old injuries (many!) and at the tender points and neuralgia, with M.E. pain it is more like dragging around limbs made of concrete and my bones ache.

the M.E. has made me immunosuppressed and bed ridden if i'm not in my wheelchair. i had fibro first and although i was in exceptional pain i could still walk the dog if i used a stick and lay down afterwards. if i went shopping i'd use a scooter. now i can't go shopping as much and have to go in my chair.

i am so weak now. i feel like i'm made of jelly but at the same time i feel like i'm dragging concrete around with me. :dunno:

it's hard to explain but they are 2 different illnesses. i could still function independantly until the M.E. struck and now i need carers to wash and dress me.

:blowkiss: adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi, this is a hard question to answer, I have both and the way i've looked at it (and explained to me) my fatigue is over and above the fatigue you get with fibro - concrete wellies & coat to the point I can do very little. Pain wise as Adele has said the pains are different for each.

Hope this makes sence

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby cassey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 am

thank you for your posts, iv been doing abit of ground work cause one min my gp said yes m/e. than the next time i seen her she said no so im confussed, thats why i wanted to know the difference. for a long time now iv been getting flair ups, where it puts me back into bed,i get that exusted i cant get out the bed, i do have fatugue all the time i call it mid day fategue but nothing like the flair up episodes.
cassey
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems