swallowing problems

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

swallowing problems

Postby animalhouse » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:25 pm

has anyone noticed any swallowing problems.

before being diagnosed wiht fibro i had whiplash from car crash

had creeky jaw and felt at the time sometimes was difficult to swallow but did not think much of it ort bother mentioninhg it to doctor - too many painful trigger points back, wrists, hips et etc to worry about bit of a stiff jaw.

anyway a year down the line i still find tht sometimes i swallow and it does not go down. it it not like when it "ogest down the wrong hole and you choke" it just seems to sit at the back of my throat and it does it with food and drink.

anyone else suffer from this - again is it slow muscles in your throat or something - i imagine it as one of my usual delayed brain fog reactions wher ei much think i must take my tablets, put them in my lmouth, take a drink but then they down;t gbo down as my brain or muscle to allow swallowinh has not caught up yet.

anyone any ideas. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: swallowing problems

Postby denys » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes I do, sometimes it feels almost as though I've 'forgotten how to swallow, it gets to the back of my throat but I cant get that last action to happen :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: dosent happen all the time just occasionally :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:01 pm

yes i do to
its not nice at all is it
i swallow but it gets stuck just as if the muscle will not work in my throat :(

an to tell you the truth i don't think i have told my Dr about it either :yikes:

will try and remember on Friday :roll: :roll:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby fabme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

I get this sometimes, I think it's one of the more bizzare symptoms I have :crazy: and I don't think i've mentiond it either

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:42 pm

i'm so glad to know i'm not the only one. i have put off telling my gp or neurologist and just hoped it would go away.

i will have a mouthful of water and i cannot get my throat muscles to do what i want them to do, that is swallow. not nice.

thank you, take care, adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby lillly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Yah me too ,for a year now it feels like your going to choke on your salaiva its awful,I was told it was fibro but when i was at admitted to hosp they told me it could be a dysfunctional throat muscle long word beginning with s,,,,,sorry i cant remember i also have a lump on top of my head which this is also associated and believe it or not it can cause you to struggle from a sitting to standing position and distorted joints and it was related to fibro,,what come first the chicken or the egg,
Its defo worth mentioning
Lillly x
lillly
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 am

THANKS FOR REPLIES

MENTIONED TO DOC ALONG WITH OTHER STUFF ON LIST YESTERDAY.

found naotes on iternet that it is common with fibro. what else
haveing more injections in wrist and hips again so more and more stuff.

still struggling wiht dla /esa cliams gone to tribunal fed up of fhighting.

upping gabas meds and in alot of pain at moment but odn;t know if it is because i don;t always take them or bad pains at mo.
hugs guys.
:grouphug: :grouphug: [chocolate]
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Jojostar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi, yes I get this too first few times it freaked me out,doesn't happen often though,thank god have enough to deal with :wave: ,
Jojostar
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 pm

:wave: me too ,i had :facepalm: where the tube goes up nose down throat and had to eat custard yogurt,green stuff whilst they took pics .didnt find anything but it showed spasms in throat .was arranged through dr.and local hospital speech therapist ..i lost over 2 st. in weight so it was quite worrying but told me when bad to eat yogurts ,complan basically anything that slides down.still get it like you even with drinks .
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby angelwear » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 am

hi,
i too had a problem swallowing for a long time..... it was as if the food got half way down and my muscles locked ! i was soooo scared. a doc prescribed lansoprazole and said it could be acid burning the inside of my gullet(didnt even have much heartburn) , i thought he was off his head but decided to give it a go (i'll try anything once!!) within a week i was so much better and now its very rare i get the same feeling. i still choke while eating sometimes but not the muscle thing.

:goodluck2: hope you get it sorted soon as i know how frightening it is

julie x
angelwear
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 pm

hi there - yep i have had this few times - frightened me first couple times but i try relax and breath deep now - for me it almost feels like throat closed.....fibro gets everywhere doesnt it???...wear glasses all the time now cos it had done my eye muscles in,,,what next?
shrimp xxx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems