son with Hypermobility

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

son with Hypermobility

Postby Dizzymember » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

not sure what to do? as went to casaulty today with my 13 year son, with a normal kid injury, as in skidding on bike and injured one of his knees, no major harm done, but she asked me out of the blue is he hypermobile, i said i knew he was double jointed and she said from the clinical point of view,(just by looking at him, not full examanation for HM) that he is hypermobile. over the last two years, he has broken 4 arms and always injuring inself(but gets on with it type of thing). He is a very fit child, who loves playing football and joining any activity that concerns exercise. I was diagnosed with hypermolbilty sydrome about 3 years or so, pretty sure my daughter has it too, she is the opposite to my son, dont like exercise and very much a drama queen to injuries... should i be concerned, or am i a over acting parent?

Di. xx
Dizzymember
UKFM Member

Re: son with Hypermobility

Postby denys » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 am

Dont think you are over-reacting, it must be really stressful getting a diagnosis out of the blue. What to do about it, I'm really sorry I dont know, did she offer a follow up appointment or anything :?: :?: if not maybe a visit to you doc for some profesional advice :dunno: :fingerscrossed: he's able to get on and continue to enjoy his sports etc :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:58 am

in stuations like that dont think you can over react .think you see gp bout it . :goodluck1:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby Dizzymember » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 am

No offer of a follow up, she was more concerned about his knee and whether to X-ray or not, she was more concerned whether he chipped a bone in his knee. I suppose I can understand where she is coming from looking at the injury, i always think about things later!!

I think a lot of this is a guilt thing, with my feelings, because HM tends to run in families, more so in girls than boys so bit shocked on that part, looking on the positive side, none of my children are in major pain, my daughter says everything hurts, but I started to put that down to cry wolf and her being a drama queen, I have got to really push her to do PE, but my son not a prob, if anything he would run through an injury. Will make appointment with my GP, maybe appointment on my own, as don't want my fears going into the kids. I know I am natural worrier, but if things can be done or things to be learnt I will do it.

Thanks for help, xxx and letting me moan. Xxx
Dizzymember
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:22 am

No probs moan away and I think its a good idea to go alone at first :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Elsbeth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 pm

There is no need for a follow up really.

My daughter was diagnosed with it when she was 2 and she has broke her wrist in same place twice.
I know FM and HM are sometimes tagged together, but there is also the chance they will both be fine. There is nothing they can do, no medication, treatment etc.

HM is just one of those things peeps have to live with.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby Dizzymember » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi Elsabeth, thank you for your reply, I am going to mention it to my doc, I know they is no cure, or treatment, but I don't want my kids being like me, like I said my son is into sports, so in theory his muscle should be fairly stable, but then again, he has broken both arm 6 times and three was within a year. Yet I know most of them were through contact sports, and boys will be will boys. My daughter on the other hand is different, can't really explain, she has general problems anyway, she was tested for dsplaxia and the school nurse didn't think she had it. Just going into protection mood and not only that I am pretty much suffering with my depression, so I am prob worrying more than i should.

Xxx Di xxxx
Dizzymember
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 pm

All 3 of my girls have inherited ehlers danlos from me, all are incredibly flexible and my 6 year old has recently been describing what sounds like a knee cap coming out ot place. She has to go to physio at some point and have special inserts in her shoes sorted out.

I was always really sporty as a kid, I suffered a lot with pain issues etc though as I got older and ended up spending more and more time out of sports because everything just slowly got screwed up.

If our kids aren't complaining of pain then I don't think it is something to worry about at this point. The only reason I pressured my doc into referring us to paeds for my lot was because they were having pain with their hyper mobility, gut issues, fatigue etc. When we saw the paed he was amazed at how flexible they are, in fact, now when my girls go the paed always grabs a student so they can see what it looks like in a child and whenever I go to physio, the physio grabs a student so they can see how it presents lol..............

Anyway, I think maybe you should play it be ear, and see what happens but then again, I always wanted to know for sure so that we could prevent things from happening with physio etc.......
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems